Eye Care Expert Forum
eye floaters

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eye floaters
Just got an annoying floater in left eye; never before.  Age 70, health excellent
Dear pia32t,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD.  A sudden onset of floaters may be associated with a posterior vitreous detachment, or the jelly like substance of the eye separating from its normal retinal attachments.  Occasionally, when this occurs one can develop retinal tears, hemorrhages and/or a retinal detachment.  Often, the floaters which are bothersome initially will become less noticeable over time.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Wow. You are lucky to have never gotten a noticable floater until age 70. I have a lot of floaters and I'm 29. I've had them since I was a teenager, but I'm nearsighted so that's probably why.
Floaters are extremely common and almost everyone gets them, even people with healthy eyes too. They will become less noticable over time if you try to tune them out.
If you start seeing flashes or "showers" of these floaters, head to an Eye MD.
What % of you visin does the floater occupy? Is it peripheral?
What % of you vision does the floater occupy? Is it peripheral?