Eye Care Community
eye pain when closed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

eye pain when closed

I have pain behind my right eye when I close it.  I especially notice it when I lay down to sleep.  The pain "travels" from behind my eye, aound my skull, to my neck.  Most nights, a headache awakens me and I have to take an aspirin.  If I don't, then the pain is almost debilitating by morning.  I first noticed it when I attempted to sleep in the car.  I laid my head in every direction while in the car, but there was no relief.  I finally just rested my head on the car headrest with my eyes open.  No pain.  When I closed my eye, there was pain.  If I had to rate the pain, I would rate it a 6 initially, with it getting worse through the night.

Any suggestions?
Your symptoms are suggestive of "greater occipital neuralgia", see an EyeMD.

Dr. O.
Thank you, Dr. O, and I will contact my primary physician and ask for a referral.