Eye Care Expert Forum
eye pain

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eye pain

Here is my question, about a week ago I was on the computer and all of a sudden zap! This sharp fast shooting pain shoots through my right eye. Then about 15 minutes later zap! Again, the shooting pain through the eye so sharp that it makes me close my eyes. I am not working so I dont have health insurance, I called a eye doctor to see how much one visit would be and it was 225 dollars! There is no way I can afford that.

Prior to this episode I used to wake up at night with a scratching burning pain in my eyes it felt like they were
stuck..and when I moved my eye it felt like I was tearing it. That kind of went away(it happens once in a while) but still when I wake up either in the night or morning my eyes are sore and its hard to open them they are burning and hurt for a while and it goes away.

Im not sure if that has anything to do with the stabbing thing. The stabbing pains happend about a week ago and about 4 days ago it happend once more very sharp fast pain that makes me close my eyes. Now over a week later, my right eye (same eye) is sore and hurts when I rub my eye or press on my eye, there are intermitant shooting/electrical pains in my eye but they are in no way the same severity of the the first few episodes I call them mini shocks because they are shorter in duration and less severe then the original ones,. Sometimes they even come when my eyes are closed.

Another thing is the right side of my head is sore and my right temple hurts badly when I move my eye, raise my eybrow,roll my eyes, blink or squint. My temple and head hurt on that side.

I have asked this question on the community forum but no answers.
Also, I know I can not be diagnosed without being seen but is it possible that this can be caused from severe dry eye?
Dear kimd321,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD. There may be a “free” clinic or at a local hospital or an eyeMD might reduce their fees but a diagnosis is not possible without an eye examination.  It is possible that you might have recurrent corneal erosions, and it is possible that dryness can cause this but that would usually occur in both eyes.  You definitely need an examination.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California