Eye Care Expert Forum
eye ripple treatment options?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eye ripple treatment options?
Our eye clinic diagnosed a vision ripple as an edema. The back of my retina has a small dip in it. The docter said something was pulling inside of my eye. I was told an operation may be an option I was . But after the operation, if that is the only way to go, I was told I would have to lay face down for 5 days straight! I have spastic torticolis (distonia} and I'm afraid this wouldn't work for me. No solid diagnosis has been made yet and I am to see an expert in this field in a few weeks. Could  medicine possible correct this condition? Don
IF there is either a membrane "rippling" the retina or vitreoretinal traction, medicine alone is unlikely to help.  You could try Non-steroidal antiinflammatory drops while you're waiting to see a retina specialist for this.  A gas bubble with face down position is not always necessary though unless there is a hole in the macula.  Make sure you will be seeing a well experienced retina specialist who will be aware of all the options.

HV
Thank you for fast reply and the antiflammatory drops idea.  If there is a hole in the macula then is an operation  the only option?  I doubt I could lay face down for 5 days with the condition I have to work with. Thanx again, Don
Unless it is in the very early stages, surgery is the only option.  Need a good retina specialists consultation though to know exactly what the options are.

HV