Eye Care Community
eye stringies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

eye stringies

This discussion is related to persistent stringy eye discharge.

I am getting the eye stringies that others on this site has described.  Now they are thicker and seem to peel off and around the entire eye.  I was told that I have alot of floaters, about 20 yrs ago in a simple eye exam.  Could this be related?  Could it be Glaucoma?  Also, why do they prescribe marijuana for Glaucoma, does it somehow relieve the intraoccular pressure?  I saw a respond to another comment about filimentary keratitis, what is that?  Thank you.
1. Not floaters 2. Not glaucoma 3. Mary Jane is not used for treatment of glaucoma by legitimate ophthalmologists. there may be a few pot-head Eye MDs that use and abuse it.  3. filimentary keratitis is due to dry eyes and is where little pig tails of the surface of the cornea peel off. very painful

JCH IIIMD
i have sting in my eyes and i can feel is wen i blink so i try pealing it all out my eye but when its all gone, more and more come back after 5minutes its really painful, what could it be or what can i do to get rid of it?
See an Eye MD ophthalmologist for an exam and proper treatment and diagnosis. In the USA find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Ive had these same strings for 5 or 6 years, maybe more, I cant remember!  Every day.  Opticial, GP and local Eye Specialist at the hospital didnt help (in fact I was finally told I was 'probably' allergic to something in the air all of a sudden, very helpful!!!)  Ive just had a course of 4x250mg (all at once) Azithromycin for a completely unrelated (I think) infection, and in 24 hours, for the first day in a long long time, Ive had no strings, no feeling of foreign bodies in my eyes, and actually my eyes feel really clean and refreshed.  Its bizarre.  What do you think JCH?  Could it be the miracle cure for stringy eyes?
Having done some research on the internet, perhaps they are related.  I was treated for Chlamydia, and I see you can get it in your eyes aswell.  None of the sites mention strings as any of the symptoms, and I did not have any of the symptoms mentioned for Chlamydia in the eyes.  As well as the strings, many eye lashes fell out, quite regularly, although this is not noticeable to look at my eyes.  I would still value you opinion on the whole matter.
Hi, I have the exact same problem with the whole stringy eye thing. My eyes arent painfull or ichy but I recently had swine flu and they became very sore then and they seaped with this eye stringy discharge. I have been to a eye specialist recently and I'm under going tests. I have been given 3 treatments so far them being ilube, Prednisolone sodium phosphate, liquidfilm tears. Which havent had much of a result so far but hopefully will soon!
I too have the 'stringers' as I have affectionately come to know them. They are not painful at all, though they tickle when they are removed, to the point where i find myself searching for them to remove them from my eyes quite frequently throughout the day. Could someone please advise me as to whether they may be linked to some form of degenerative disease which will adversely affect my vision in any way, as I am slightly concerned that this is the case, and touching my eyes regularly can not be too beneficial for them. Would 'stringers' or touching your eyes on a daily basis be likely to increase the risk of the onset of glaucoma or sight problems?
This is a very commonly misdiagnosed problem.  You have "mucus fishing syndrome", look it up.  Usually mild dry eye or blepharitis starts the irritation and compulsion to rub or pick at the eyes.  Then it becomes a chronic cycle, picking more and irritating the mucus glands more, more mucus produced, etc.  The key is you HAVE to COMPLETELY stop puting fingers/kleenex/whatever on or into your eyes.  Seek the care of an eyeMD to help guide you.  Good luck