eye stringies
This discussion is related to persistent stringy eye discharge.

I am getting the eye stringies that others on this site has described.  Now they are thicker and seem to peel off and around the entire eye.  I was told that I have alot of floaters, about 20 yrs ago in a simple eye exam.  Could this be related?  Could it be Glaucoma?  Also, why do they prescribe marijuana for Glaucoma, does it somehow relieve the intraoccular pressure?  I saw a respond to another comment about filimentary keratitis, what is that?  Thank you.
1. Not floaters 2. Not glaucoma 3. Mary Jane is not used for treatment of glaucoma by legitimate ophthalmologists. there may be a few pot-head Eye MDs that use and abuse it.  3. filimentary keratitis is due to dry eyes and is where little pig tails of the surface of the cornea peel off. very painful

JCH IIIMD
i have sting in my eyes and i can feel is wen i blink so i try pealing it all out my eye but when its all gone, more and more come back after 5minutes its really painful, what could it be or what can i do to get rid of it?
See an Eye MD ophthalmologist for an exam and proper treatment and diagnosis. In the USA find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Ive had these same strings for 5 or 6 years, maybe more, I cant remember!  Every day.  Opticial, GP and local Eye Specialist at the hospital didnt help (in fact I was finally told I was 'probably' allergic to something in the air all of a sudden, very helpful!!!)  Ive just had a course of 4x250mg (all at once) Azithromycin for a completely unrelated (I think) infection, and in 24 hours, for the first day in a long long time, Ive had no strings, no feeling of foreign bodies in my eyes, and actually my eyes feel really clean and refreshed.  Its bizarre.  What do you think JCH?  Could it be the miracle cure for stringy eyes?
Having done some research on the internet, perhaps they are related.  I was treated for Chlamydia, and I see you can get it in your eyes aswell.  None of the sites mention strings as any of the symptoms, and I did not have any of the symptoms mentioned for Chlamydia in the eyes.  As well as the strings, many eye lashes fell out, quite regularly, although this is not noticeable to look at my eyes.  I would still value you opinion on the whole matter.
Hi, I have the exact same problem with the whole stringy eye thing. My eyes arent painfull or ichy but I recently had swine flu and they became very sore then and they seaped with this eye stringy discharge. I have been to a eye specialist recently and I'm under going tests. I have been given 3 treatments so far them being ilube, Prednisolone sodium phosphate, liquidfilm tears. Which havent had much of a result so far but hopefully will soon!
I too have the 'stringers' as I have affectionately come to know them. They are not painful at all, though they tickle when they are removed, to the point where i find myself searching for them to remove them from my eyes quite frequently throughout the day. Could someone please advise me as to whether they may be linked to some form of degenerative disease which will adversely affect my vision in any way, as I am slightly concerned that this is the case, and touching my eyes regularly can not be too beneficial for them. Would 'stringers' or touching your eyes on a daily basis be likely to increase the risk of the onset of glaucoma or sight problems?
Read This Immediately!!!!! Hello, my name is Robert S. White, I am 48 years old and I am writing this message to anyone with stringy mucous eyes issues. I fought this battle for a little over 4 years and just thought that this was going to be a part of my life forever. I had gone to so many doctors and all of them kept feeding a line of CRAP, because they had no idea. They just kept saying things like If you keep your fingers out of your eyes it will go away (Eye Fishing Syndrome)…………………..Bullcrap! I wouldn’t have put my fingers in my eyes if there was nothing there! I know you want the answer like right now, but I want to explain what happened, I swear I have nothing to sell or push by the way, this is only information and hopefully something that will help if you suffer from this horrible affliction. So, about 3 months ago, I decided to go to Shands Hospital in Gainesville, FL., I explained everything to the doctor and he was the only one that told me that I was having an allergic reaction and that I was probably going to have to figure this out myself because the cost of being tested for everything on the planet was just not feasible. So, 3 weeks ago (Today is the 17th of April, 2017)I went on vacation to Universal Studios with my brother and I noticed the day after I arrived that my eyesight improved slightly and wasn’t as irritated as normal, I didn’t think too much about it until the next day when they were even better. After the 4th day, my eyesight was great and I was elated as much the stringy eye goo had dissipated. So, I finished the vacation and got back home and within 2 hours of getting home my eyes were on the fritz, so, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was different and the only thing that I could come up with was that I remembered that I had forgotten my cologne when I went to Orlando. As an experiment I did not use my cologne (Curve), the next day. What do you know, my eyes got better, after 3 or 4 days my stringy eye goo had slowed tremendously. After a couple of weeks I had expected it to go away completely but I still had some going on, so, I decided to do a little more digging (Pun intended) and started to do research on the ingredients in the Curve cologne, it turns out that there are lots of chemicals in the cologne, one in particular, Propylene Glycol (PPG), seemed to be affecting many other people as well, I got to looking at my other products in my cabinet that I use and what do you know, my hair gel (L.A. Looks), my underarm deodorant (Degree), and many other products that I use have this chemical in it. I have since stopped using any products that have PPG in it which unfortunately makes my life more complicated because these products that do not have PPG’s is more expensive. So, to put all of this in a nutshell, I do not know if this is your problem, but like me it may turn out that you are having an allergic reaction to some product that you are using and it just may be the PPG additive in these products. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I truly hope this will help someone else and may solve your eye mystery. P.S. When I stopped using products with the PPG I also had some other added benefits that I didn’t even know were going to happen, I had a strange rash on my chest that went away (Right where I was spraying the cologne), my joints feel so much better (I was told because I had inflammation from my body trying to fight PPG in my body), I also had excruciating pain in my feet (Also because of the inflammation), if I have helped a single person it will make me feel so happy, Have a nice day.
=
This is a very commonly misdiagnosed problem.  You have "mucus fishing syndrome", look it up.  Usually mild dry eye or blepharitis starts the irritation and compulsion to rub or pick at the eyes.  Then it becomes a chronic cycle, picking more and irritating the mucus glands more, more mucus produced, etc.  The key is you HAVE to COMPLETELY stop puting fingers/kleenex/whatever on or into your eyes.  Seek the care of an eyeMD to help guide you.  Good luck