Eye Care Expert Forum
eyeball quiver

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

eyeball quiver
My eyeball has recently been quivering.  I wear glasses and have had an eye exam in the last three months. I do have hypothyroid for which I am being treated.  This is more than my eyelid quivering.  If I am reading when it happens,what I am reading quivers.  In my estimation, the quivering lasts about 4 seconds.  There is no change in my visual acuity. My preference would be to ignore this but I'm wondering if I should call my primary care provider and ask to have my thyroid checked.  .  
It is reaonable to have your thyroid levels checked.  That is perfectly alright. YOu might want to stay away from anything with a stimulant or caffeine and get plenty of rest and try to reduce the amount of time spent reading or on the computer.  Keep track of any other symptoms that could possible be related.  Look into myokymia which is a benign twitch of small muscles around the eye. OVerall, your symptoms don't sound dangerous, but bothersome, so please see an ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.

MJK MD