Eye Care Community
eyesight damage from hair covering an eye?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

eyesight damage from hair covering an eye?

Hey,
I was at an optometrist the other day, who informed me that my vision from my right eye has decreased by 60% (permanently) over the past two years because i have hair covering it.. And further telling me that I should get my hair cut.

So I suppose my question is, if this is entirely accurate, and that my eyes would be permanently damaged because of my long hippie-esque hair?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
I've never "hair-ed" of such a thing. See a Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist for another opinion. Find one at www.aao.org   That is indeed strange.

JCH III MD
Blank
Thanks for your help, it seemed a bit strange to me as well.

I'll have it checked out! (Though I don't live in the US, I'm sure I can dig up one of these ophthalmologists around here somewhere)
Blank
No hair does not damage your eyesight. It is only if you 8 years and younger because your visual system is still developing. Your eyelashes also protect your eyes from mostly anything. They say how it will damage your eyes because your hair has bacteria that can get into your eyes and cause an eye infection but again, your eyelashes will protect you and also if your hair is clean and healthy than you'll be fine. To continue, it can only harm vision if you respond to it with stress and strain therefore, you must keep your visual system in a connective, relaxed way with plenty of movement and that will also strengthen your eye sight. The most long hair can do is irritate your eyes by getting in the way of seeing certain objects. Believe me I have long hair and my hair quite thin so it's not irritating.
Blank
My daughter's optometrist told her the same thing.  He said the eye that is covered will just be focused on the hair while the other eye is left to do all of the work.  I was shocked too, but it seems to make sense.  Now she has started this blinking tic, so I really want her to get her hair out of her face.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...