Eye Care Community
feel headache while wearing glasses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

feel headache while wearing glasses

I feel headache when I were wearing my glasses. My headache will gone if I take off my glasses. I don't feel headache when wearing contact lens. I went to hospital to examine my eyes, The doctor said that my eye have exotropia. I wonder could my headache be caused by exotropia? how to cure it?

Thanks!
Tags: Headache
People that wear contacts often have trouble with their glasses as the contacts cause the cornea to reshape which changes the glasses RX..

If exotropia was causing your headache it generally would occur with your contacts also.

JCH MD
Thanks JCH,

What puzzles me is that I don't feel headache wearing contacts, but I feel headache wearing glasses and it happened before I began to wear contacts. what kind of possible reasons could cause my headache?

Alen
That's what I'm saying, contact lens wearers often have headaches and eyestrain when wearing their glasses.

JCH MD
at work when having to wear 'safety' glasses for 8 hrs a day even now with optician safety glasses ie not plastic i suffer badly from blurred vision stabbing red hot needle pain behind left eye, this can develop into full blown headache and dizziness. after work driving home my vision is still slightly blurry similiar to a welders 'flash. at weekends or holidays i do not get any symptoms, my vision is 20/20, can you please help me
                                                               james  
James, I cannot help you but a local ophthalmologist Eye MD should be able to work through your troubles. Note a "optician" is not an eye MD.

JCH MD
I have worn contacts for ten years. I recently when back to glasses because I have a bad habit of leaving my contacts in for months at a time. I know it’s bad, but I have never had a single problem with my eyes until I went back to glasses. Now I have pain in my eyes or like a constant pressure with some headaches. I understand about the reshaping of the cornea, but will the pain continue? Will it ever go back to normal? Should I go back to the contact lenses? If you have any more information or could steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Joe
i never wore contacts but have headaches when i wear glasses can you pls help me or give me some advice? note: i've never ever worn glasses!
Joe: You need an eye exam by an Eye MD. Your glasses RX can keep changing for several months after stopping contacts.

DaTink. In your first line you say you wear glasses. In the secon line you say you've never worn glasses.

JCH MD
Sorry What I Meant To Say Was That I Never Worn Contacts Before But  I still Get Headaches When I Wear Glasses
There are many causes of headaches while wearing glasses and you will need to sort through them with someone that can actually examine you eyes, examine the glasses and examine glasses that you have  worn comfortably before

JCHMD
I wear glasses and my eyesight is not that much poor, but during day when time passes i feel trouble in watching, and specially when i close my right eye, i cannot see clearly from left eye, particularly at night time if i watch any enlighten object from that eye, i see shining light with every enlighten thing, i also feel headache when i work a lot and like my left eye becomes stuck from inside, i feel difficulty in watching, please help me and tell me what to do...
Hello Dr. Hagan,

I have been wearing glasses and contacts since i was in the 5th grade, I have now graduated high school. Every day whether i wear glasses or contacts I get severe migraines. I have talked to my optometrist and we can not figure out the problem. My Vision is very poor and I have asigmatisms in both eyes that usually change from oblique to horizontal.

is there anyway you can help me?

Brittney
I have been wearing contacts since 1968. (hard then to Gas P) and now Gas P bifocals for the last 8-10 years. in the early 1980's I attemplted to return to glasses and used soft contacts during the transition.  I may have lasted one week and the astigmatism was terrible, I became irritated and put my contacts back in my eyes so I could function. 1) What is the average amount of time for eyes to return the their natural shape 2) I love the clarity I receive with the GP contacts and I wonder how much difference there really is in this clarity between the GP and the soft contacts? 3) I am now 60 yrs old I expect I could go at least 5 more years using the GP lens but what would be a suggested age to discontinue the use of contacts? I wear my contacts for 10-12 hours per day but I am finding my eyes are getting tired (probably old age). - Thanks
As I have gotton older feels like my eyelids will not open as good as they used to why is this
what do you do for this
I have constant headaches and I was wondering if maybe transitions lenses would help me since light makes them worse or maybe contacts with sunglasses...my headache goes almost all the way away when I take off my glasses and reduce the light....