Eye Care Expert Forum
flashing lights in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

flashing lights in eye
I have a constant flashing light in th corner of my right eye and every now and then a flash of light goes off in the corner.
I had an eye exam and they said everything looked good. But I'm still having this. I know this is not normal what should I do next?  There is no pain in eye, just lights fluttering
Yes, I agree.  See a retinal specialist ophthalmologist to look for a small retina tear or detachmement.  You likely just have a posterior vitreous detachment and the flashes can remain for a few months sometimes, but I think it would calm you nerves to see a retinal specialist.

MJK MD
Hi - It would be best for you to be seen by a opthamologist and/or a retinal specialist.  In my case, the flashing light was a sign of the retina being "tugged" at and indicated an area of weakness which could lead to retinal detachment.  I had laser eye surgery to correct my weak retinal areas (this didn't hurt for me at all).  I hope this helps, all the best to you!
Dear Bubba14,

I would recommend that you go back to see the eyeMD.  The following questions will need to be addressed, how long have the symptoms been present?  Do you lose vision or is it followed by a headache or preceded by an aura?  Is it only one eye? Do you see floaters? Is it there when you close your eye?

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I have flashing lights also, but mine I think start in the left corner of my left eye.  I say think because I can actually see it in the left corner of both eyes.  It's "C" shaped and looks like lightening flashes, it gets larger crosses my whole range of vision and after about 15-30 mins.  goes away to the right. During the time I see this I can't read or look at anything so I usually lie down until it's over.
A related discussion, Flashing lights was started.