Eye Care Expert Forum
floaters

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

floaters
I had cataract surgery a week ago.  Now I have a large, round floater in the eye where surgery was performed.  Is this a normal aftereffect of cataract surgery?  Thanks.
Many people notice floaters after cataract surgery. The surgery usually doesn't cause them but with the vision and contrast sensitivity improving they seen floaters that they didn't see well enough to see before surgery. Sort of like turning a light on in a room and seeing things you couldn't see before.

Use the search feature on this page and read "floaters" and Posterior Vitreous Detachements" to learn what type of floaters are worrisome.

JCH III MD