Eye Care Community
fluid behind the eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

fluid behind the eye

My daughter, who is 34 years of age has been told by her optician that she has excess fluid behind the eye and that the reading was quite high compared to what it should be.  There is no history of Glaucoma in either side of the family.  She is feeling quite panicked about this, especially at such a young age. Does this mean she is greatly at risk, and is there anything she can do to improve it apart from getting it monitored?  Does she run the risk of blindness?
Judith
How high is high?? It is highly unusual to have glaucoma at age 34 but I have patients in their 30's with glaucoma. Normally, the doctor will recheck the pressure at a different time. The pressure can accidentally be artificially high if the person checking the pressure is inadvertently pressing on the eye while checking. Or there are patients who are "squeezers" who can't help squeezing their eye when something comes at them like the pressure measuring gadget. They can artificially raise their pressures as well. If the pressure is actually increased, she may need to be treated. There is no way to improve it otherwise. Opticians don't do eye exams. Did your daughter see an ophthalmologist or optomotrist?
Thank yoyu for your reply.  My daughter's reading was 26 and I understand that the norm is 10-15.  She saw and opthalmologist for the examination.  She has been told by the hospital that she needs to lose some weight as her liver is not draining properly (she is not diabetic).  Is there any connection please?
Kind regards
Judith