Eye Care Community
gas bubble and travel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

gas bubble and travel

I flew up north for Christmas and suffered a retinal detachment, I had surgery Dec 23 and at present the bubble is still there.  I would like to travel back, but  I cannot fly with the bubble.  Is it possible to return to FL by train or car and wait for the bubble to go away and then return as planned in May and continue with eye care then.
Yes,  avoid driving over high altitudes. If you need to take diamox (lowers pressure) before going up in altitude.

Some in Florida needs to see you.  Waiting until May with a bubble current present is a long time.

Dr. O.
Yes,  avoid driving over high altitudes. If you need to, take diamox (lowers pressure) before going up in altitude.

Dr. O.
Sounds familiar to me - I had an RD this past summer on East Coast - home is in mid-West.  I was "grounded" for about 2 months before my bubble was small enough to fly again - it took about 3 months to go away entirely.

Ask your Doctor about what altitude above sea level is OK for you with a bubble, and when it will be OK to fly (different Dr's give differing values of % filled with gas - plus estimating the gas volume is not easy for the patient to do).  

Ask about a referral for a local ophthamalogist / retinal specialist if you don't already have one, even if you plan to return to your original Dr. in May for additional treatment.  (or find one yourself at www.aao.org).  You may need to see someone on short notice during the interim.  Don't delay (like I did) - you may have a need to see a local Dr. on short notice if you develop any other issues - and in some areas, there are no local opthamalogy ER's like at the big eye hospitals, and retinal specialists are few, and getting into a retinal specialist is only by referral from another (general) ophthamalogist.

Good luck and hang in there!