Eye Care Expert Forum
ghosting

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

ghosting
I might be panicking but I had intra ocular lensing operations on both eyes in early January, it has now been seven weeks from one eye was operated on and six weeks for the other. My near vision (up to approx five feet) is outstanding but anything beyond this is ghosting, I have been told by the optician that the ghosting should clear soon yet another optician has said it could take up to nine months. I am 59 and in good health and would just like another opinion.

Regards
Bertie.

It is very hard to say without examining you.  It sounds as if you had multifocal implants, in which case the haloes or glare can persist for a while; they do tend to become less noticeable with time, as the brain adapts to the new visual system.  I would consult your ophthalmologist again, to be sure there is not another reason for the symptoms, such as a hazy posterior capsule, refractive error, or ocular surface problem.