Aa
A
A
Close
glaucoma suspect
Good afternoon Dr Hagen
I just had my biannual eye exam and i happened to mention to the doc that I am a migraine sufferer. Hearing this, the opthalmologist (whom I hadn't seen before) took a very keen interest in my optic nerves. He told me I was a glaucoma suspect due to asymmetry of my optic discs and a high cup-disc ratio. He took some photos to use as a baseline, as he hadn't seen me before and therefore couldn't be certain it wasn't a physiological issue specific to me. I am to have a follow-up in six months, at which time he will test my visual fields.

i last had my visual fields done 2 years ago and there were no problems. during that visit my cup-disc ratio was notated at .4 OD and .45 OS (from memory). The opthalmologist said i may have a problem with glaucoma "in 20 years". She didn't seem too concerned and did not mention any asymmetry.

I am 41 years old, take no meds, am 5'4" and weight 115 pounds. My BP is 115/70. I guess my question is, at what point does glaucoma suspect become a diagnosis? Or is there no clear boundary? My IOP (at 3pm) was 17 in both eyes. I will have a diurnal check next visit.

The doc mentioned normal-tension glaucoma - how is that treated? Do pressure-lowering drops have any relevance here? Are there any lifestyle measures I can take to prevent this progressing? Also, I read migraine prophylatics can cause glaucoma, so am hesitant to start that kind of regimen ...

I have done internet searches, but there is soo much conflicting information and I am overwhelmed.

Thank you in advance.
Melinda

Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
711220_tn?1251894727
See some one who can do an OCT(the newer SD is better) of the optic nerves.  This will pick early sign of glaucomatous damage before a visual field test.

Normal tension glaucoma refers to patients with IOPs in the normal range (<21).  However, the IOP depends on the corneal thickness.

In a complete glaucoma evaluation the following test should be done:

1)  corneal pachymetry.
2) IOP measurement
3) gonioscopy
4)OCT
5) Visual fields

I am not aware of which migraine prophylaxis can cause glaucoma.

Dr. O.

Comment
Cancel
711220_tn?1251894727
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
thank you soo much, dr o. for you prompt reply (on a sunday, no less!)

i did have my corneal thickness measured and it was normal, which makes the IOP accurate? i had an OCT about four years ago, but i think it was of the macular, not the optic nerve.

i had a look at the images of my optic nerves and they looked like eggs instead of circles. eek. can they change like that over a two-year period? no other doctor has mentioned it, and i have had my eyes dilated about 10 times in the past five years.

i'm really curious about the pathology, and really appreciate your input.

thanks
melinda
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
711220_tn?1251894727
A normal thickness only means the IOP is in the normal range of the general population.  It does mean it is normal for an individual.

I would not worry about the egg shaped nerves.  The important aspect is the nerve fiber layer.

Dr. O.
Comment
Cancel
711220_tn?1251894727
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
glaucoma suspect
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703