Eye Care Expert Forum
green/yellow discharge
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

green/yellow discharge

I have seen other posted questions about discharge coming out of an eye when a person blows their nose.  I too have had this same issue for a couple years, and doctors had always said that it was not a problem to worry about.  However, several weeks ago I developed a bad sinus infection and along with it I started to have green/yellow discharge coming out of my right eye, which has since spread to both.  I was given a strong dose of antibiotics for the sinus infection along with eye drops to combat the eye infection. Unfortunately, the drops and antibiotics has not stopped the discharge from my eye(s).  I have seen an eye doctor and he said I don't have an eye infection.  So my question is what should be my next step to sorting this out?  Thanks.
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
There is a tube "the tear duct" that runs from the inner corner of the eye into the nose. At its entrance into the nose there is a one way flap valve (Valve of Hasner) that is suppose to keep air and nasal secretions from back flushing into the eye. Sometimes it stops working then air and nasal secretions can actually back up and come out the eye.

See an oculoplastic surgeon to see if this is your problem. If so it can sometimes be repaired endoscopically.  Find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
2 Comments
Blank
517208_tn?1211644466
Dear StephC123,

There is a connection between the nose and the eye via the nasolacrimal duct. I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD and your doctor who is treating the sinus infection.  The eyeMD should examine the discharge to determine whether you might now have an additional infection or the infection has not been fully treated.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700