Eye Care Expert Forum
haze around lights

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

haze around lights

More of a statement to compile information in one post for people to read when they research. Only a 2000 character limit so I will be brief. Was born with congenital condition that means blindness in left eye. Eyesight fine until age of 19 blurred vision, tired eyes etc. Saw optometrist, sight fine but referred me to Royal eye hospital because of scratches on Cornea. Seen by specialist team, said scratches may have been from injuries as a kid, fighting with sticks, horseplay etc. Said sight was fine but my problem was dry eyes, due to computer work or dry skin/flakes falling in eye.

June 2011 same symptoms, saw one optometrist, said I needed glasses. Saw another said I didnt need glasses and gave me dry eye drops, both extenisvely tested eyes, one commented "health of the eye is fine". Had same symptoms on and off since xmas 2011. But recently I have been seeing a haze around lights. Saw optometrist, tested pressure test, glaucoma,  I think he did a slit lamp test too. Recommended glasses. Got the glasses vision much improved. Still see a haze around lights, which I mentioned, again he said its dry eyes.  The haze fluctuates depending on the day, and on one night the haze was gone, but the next day was back again, its not affecting me other than annoying. The haze is same colour as the light itself, and is not a halo, but a haze.  With traffic lights its kind of when a child colours in a circle but goes over the lines somewhat. One md online said put eye drop in and then look at the light.If there is improvement with the drop, issue is dry eye related. Tried this and improves it for 1 minute or so, but then the haze returns. Researched yesterday and my flaky red scalp appears to be seborrheoic dermatitis.

Could optometrists (3) have missed something?  Can dry eyes cause this? How long will the drops take to resolve the dryness?
Tags: Dry eyes
You should go see an ophthalmologist and not optometrists.

HV
im now 25. The age 19 incident was around 2006. 2011 at 24 and 2012 at 25
final point. In terms of dry eyes, I do actually have a kind of chronic dry eyes. Work in a dusty warehouse, have a pet dog, also work in a restaurant at weekends near hot ovens, I live in England so its always cold and we have radiators and heaters on. My symptoms seem to have flared up particularly as the seasons have changed. Last year it was June/july and this year the weather improved early in April.
I was actually planning to. I was going to give it another week or so to see how things went along. It would however appear that the optometrist was correct in his assesment. The drops alone were not working. However I noticed when I layed off the computer and t.v for a few days the haze around lights gradually went away.  The haze has gone now and my eyes are back to normal.  

The itching sensation of the dry eyes, is very minimal, and only get it when I have not had enough sleep. However I wonder how much of it was related to the glasses. My girlfriend mentioned because I have only sight in one eye, it could be struggling under the pressure, of doing all the work.

Since I got my glasses, my headaches have completely gone, I concentrate better and dont feel as tired. I forgot to wear them last night driving on an hour journey. And during the course, my eyes started to get dry/itchy, and a headache build in my forehead. My assumption would be perhaps without the glasses I struggle to concentrate, and the blink rate could be reduced.

Thanks for your help