Eye Care Expert Forum
healing after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

healing after cataract surgery
I had cataract surgery and a monofocal IOL implanted on 03/09/08.  In the reading material, it says that the vision will not stabilize for a few weeks (I hope so, because I'm not satisfied with the blurriness I see now).  My question is:  what is taking place within the eye during these few weeks ?  I was also implanted with a spheric lens (SN60AT), and now I've been reading here that aspheric lenses are better.  Am I destined for a lower quality vision because of this?

Dear kmcc,

I would speak with your eyeMD and determine the cause of your blurry vision. There are many possible etiologies including residual refractive error, swelling of one’s area of finest acuity, known as cystoids macular edema, corneal dryness, and others.  You should be able to obtain excellent acuity with the lens you mention.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

I'm aware of only one independent (of manufacturers' interests) study which compared vision with spheric vs. aspheric IOLs.  Subjects were implanted with a spheric lens in one eye and an aspheric in the other.  The majority of people could not perceive a difference between the two IOLs.  Among those who felt that there was a difference in their vision, more people preferred the spheric IOL.
UPDATE:  thanks for both responses.  I just returned from the eye doc, and he found inflammation (aka uveitis) that needs to be handled with additional anti-inflammatory drops.    Karen