heavy eyes
my mother has had a symptom of "heavy eyes", i don't know how else to describe it.
she feels like her eyelids are very heavy and always want to close . she literally has to hold them open almost all the time and it seems to be getting worse. she's been to two different doctors and they can't seem to come up with anything. she's starting to be afraid to drive a car. has anyone else ever heard about this? she is 64 years old.
thanks
bill
See a neuro-ophthalmologist or a oculo--plastic surgery. Find one at www.aao.org  Serious possiblities include myasthenia gravis, neurological disease or it could just be age related droopy eyelids (ptosis) or droopy eyelid skin (dermatochalasis) that eyelid surgery would help.

JCH III MD
It is very common for people over 60 to have “heavy eyelids” . There are two conditions to be aware of, one is called “dermatochalasis” and the other is called “ptosis” (pronounced toe-sis).  Dermatochalasis refers to excess skin over the eyes and ptosis refers to drooping of the eyelids caused by a weakening of the muscle which lifts the eye called the “levator” (like “elevator”). Typically a procedure to help both the aesthetics and the vision related problems is performed by an Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon. Seek an experienced specialist to do a proper evaluation.
-
I have this same problem.  My eyes have always been "tired", with a pressure between them.  It feels like sinus pressure, but I've had my sinuses check and them are find.  Just recently, the past 3 weeks, I can't seem to keep my eyes opened.  They are so tired and heavy, and a good night sleep does NOT produce any relief.  I've been to an ENT and Optometrist.  I am wondering if it neurological, too.  That is my next step.