Eye Care Community
hematoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

hematoma

I suffered a periorbital hematoma and a subconjunctival hemorrhage over 2 months ago in a basketball game. The scleral bleeding has healed, but the bruising and part of the swelling has yet to go away. I still feel pain around my eye (throbbing sensation every now and then). Can anyone help?
Tags: hematoma, 2 months, behind eyes, black eye, Pain
Be sure you've seen an ophthalmologist to be sure there is no intraocular damage such as a retinal detachment. The nerves are mashed against bone in that type of injury and pay of 3-6 months is not rare.

Swelling or bruising may take a similiar amount of time.

JCH MD
Thank you
=
Is it possible for a periorbital hematoma (under the eye) to be drained by means other than just waiting....I am going to visit a opthalmologist. I was just wondering.
Not usually necessary when it happens and virtually never necessary 2 months post injury.
JCH MD
Thank you
=
Will the ophthalmologist prescribe something that can help with the pain and discoloration or will they send me to a dermatologist? Recently I have felt more pain and the ibprofen is not helping much.
This is the fourth month and my symptoms persist. The opthalmologist had no clue as to what could could be causing the pain, swelling, and discoloration to still be here. My vision is still good and my orbital structures are still intact. Any suggestions as to what I should do now?
For the discoloration you may consider a concealing skin product. For the pain if regular asprin/tylenol/ibuprofen are not enough you might consider a pain management clinic.

JCH MD
Thanks for your advice. Thanks to the opthalmologist I saw, the symptoms dissapate. They're not completely gone yet, but I finally can see signs of healing.