Eye Care Community
high myopia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

high myopia

My kid is 2 yrs old. Recently we detected that she is having -13.5 in the left and 14 in the right. doctors prescribed spectacles (-12). Both the eyes have spericle power. I would like to know whether the power will increase? whether this can be solved at her teen age. if a lasik was done,whether she need to wear glasses.
Doctors checked her retina. they said it is ok.

kindly mail me.

This discussion is related to High Myopia in Children.
Be sure you child is under the care of a pediatric ophhthalmologist Eye MD Physician.  Be sure it NOT AN OPTOMETRIST.  If it is get to a MD ophthalmologist ASAP.

At some point your child needs to see a retina Eye MD also.

Only time will tell but myopia ususally does increase in children and young adults.

Technology is always changing for the better. Lasik now will not correct that much myopia.

JCH MD
thank you so much. happy to receive your response early.
kindly inform me if some technology comes.is there any possibility of developing cylinderincal power in her eyes.
      Thats preety high....I was -20 till few weeks back...but I am 44...I guess myopia will increase but ....slowly....and in any case.... with glasses and later contact lenses... will give your child very good quality vision.... to get on with life normally...hopefully technology will have moved on..... he/she can than have some form of corrected surgery.

Good Luck
-
Here is my situation and questions and thoughts ...
My son is 6 almost 7  and has around a -10 with severe astigmitism..his prescription  went down in one year from 10.75 to 9.75  in one eye  and 10.25 nin the other  and the astigmitism went from +4.5 in each eye to +3.5 in each eye..while that isnt a big difference I was relieved it didnt go up..do you recommend that the child be exposed to greater ditance playing, avoid tv and close work as much as possible??  There seems to be a greater incidence in myoia in parts of the world where close work at an early age is more prevalent...

Does anyone see a correlation between kids who are nearsighted and ones who like to read, construct legos etc??
What do you recommend for sports? Our pediatric Optho doesnt seem to think anything matters as far as physical activity and poses no restrictions. Any info would be greatly appreciated..also my son has not been recommended for a retinal specialist...
do any of your high myopia kids play sports?? I knw one person whose daughter was a -9  at 3yo with a history of high myopia with her dad....
and she played sports all thru childhood..her eyes got NO worse.....now one of her eyes is a -7...so I am wondering if getting kids out there with vision probs in long vision settings helps their myopia esp during the formative years..playing ball with them helps to keep the eyes strong or helps exercise them....
... I can see how being myopisc ( I am a -3.75 at 46) can make one want to stay in and do the close work ( read, play with close toys etc) - which I wonder makes the myopia worse....
The role of near work in causing myopia has been tested and retested. In the past they restricted children from reading, prescribed bifocals and none of these efforts stopped myopia from developing or progressing. The conscensus opinion and weight of research indicates that near work does not cause myopia and should not be restricted.

With proper eye protection most sports should be okay.

JCH MD
Hi.
Let me tell you Paxnovus that I use to read a lot, I mean a lot :I use to read 10 comics magazines per day and half a book, and use to do my homework and use to read subtitles on the tv for a couple of hours, when I was a kid and my vision is perfect.
In the other hand, my wife has -19 and less -14 diopters and we don't really know what to do about her vision problem... she is 25 and we don't know if it is stable already.
There are several long discussion thread on pathologic progressive myopia that you can access using the search feature.

JCH MD
Dear Dr.John
My Son is 4 Years and having High Myopia of -14 and i have discussed his issue with three difierent Pediatric Ophtalmologists , where everyone has has difierent Ideas, One , said Degenerative Retina and Glass -14 with Cylinders of 3.25 and Second , -13 with Cylinders of 2 and Third -14 with Cylinders of 2.0
I am Confused now , what to do
how can i Stop Progression and what are the points i should take care for him
some topics say sun is good ,
what is your openion what his Glassess , which one should i use
Determining glasses RX in a 4 year old with that big of refractive error is difficult and the variation is common and not all that large.

I would suggest you use the pediatric ophthalmologist you feel most comfortable with.

Use the search feature and archives to read about high myopia progression.

You should discuss these with the ped Eye MD you choose: 1. bifocals 2. atropine drops 3. the experimental eyedrops that are being tested. 4. the value of "outside" play.

JCH MD
hi,
my daughter is almost  4 years old n doc said she has high myopia like -18 .is it possible because my daughter goes to park n play normally she does hit anything nor any1 ,she can even spot moon in the sky early morning , kindly tell can my daughter b -18 n what r other symptoms on -18 and what issues regarding this should i discuss with doc
Your daughter has pathological high myopia.   Playing outdoors has been shown to slow simple myopia but not the type she has. She needs to be under the care of a pediatric ophthalmologist.

You can use the search feature and archives to read about "high myopia" or "myopia progression.

JCH MD
hi ,
i got 2nd opinion from another apthalmologist , he says her number is -14 but the 1 before this priscribed (prescribed) my daughter -18 ,with whom i should go
i got 2nd opinion from another apthalmologist , he says her number is -14 according to devise they use and he recommended the lense -12 d and -10 d bcoz he says my daughter is not cooperating with them and said thats these r good signs that my daughter is not hitting things or persons and uses her both eyes but  the 1 before this priscribed (prescribed) my daughter -18 ,with whom i should go
Glasses RX difficult to determine in very young. I would go with the EYE MD you feel most comfortable with as you will be seeing a lot of him/her.
hi - well I'm in high school and want to try volleyball, can my progressive myopia be a hassle or a problem with playing the sport?
No but its important to wear eye protection. If you wear contacts then sports eye protection like worn for racquetball. If you wear glasses you need to get athletic glasses which have shatter proof lens and reinforced strong frames.

JCHMD
My 22 month old came back at -16 and -17 with astigmatism in his Left eye.. he was prescribed a slightly lesser script for glasses which he's been wearing the last month.. its amazing how little information there is.. we had a 2nd opinion to confirm his vision before we got his glasses and both ped opth stated that it won't necessarily progress and i'm hopefully if it does its slowly..
i thought i had terrible vision (which has improved in my adult years from a -10 to a -8) but i did have a detached retina at 15 which resulted in a scleral buckle implant in my left eye..
i guess only time will tell but i'm hopeful that with technology and early detection that we are providing some type of prevention..
again the limited info and people in similar situations (although a great thing that this is not common) is very frustrating for me :(