Eye Care Expert Forum
how successful is squint surgery for double vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Had mild/intermitten double vision for approx 1 year. Then had IOL implants - monovision (I thought they were going to be multi focal but apparently not) my consultant did not ask about my double vision prior to procedure although I had told his optician during eye test.  Also he set my eyes to wrong dominance, ie should have been left but he decided right.  After implants double vision was much more severe (can't drive) and constant.  Saw strabismus consultant who said I had a right convergent squint, but that dominance had been changed for IOL proceure.and this might have caused problem.  Tried contacts to establish appropriate prescription to reverse dominance, dobule vision disappeared.  Had lasek to that prescription.  No change to double vision.  Now am faced with prism glasses, Botox or surgery.  Am unhappy about Botox, do not want to wear glasses but have been a bit scared of the possible risks for surgery.  Can anyone put my mind at rest or should I just wear glasses for the rest of my life (I am 60)
Adult strabismus surgery is a very specific class.  you should consult a surgeon with experience in this field and discuss pros and cons of such surgery.  Risks should not be terribly high and highest risk would be that surgery doesn't fully correct the double vision.

HV
Thanks for your comments, they have put my mind at rest somewhat, as I have considerable faith in the consultant I saw who will carry out the operation