hyperopia/strabismus/amblyopia question
Hello ,

I'm 24 and have been diagnosed with strabismus(accomodative esotropia) and amblyopia in my left eye(vision is very poor (20/200) and hyperopia in my right eye (+3.5 D and 20/20 vision), corrected with glasses.
  My concern is the strabismus - some doctors advised me to get strabismus surgery while others advised me not - but rather take the more logical step in eliminating the hyperopia , correcting the strabismus in the procces.
  My question to the doctors on the board (esp dr John C. Hagan III) is : what would be the best option in my case? I've also been reading about ortho-k for hyperopia - it seems quite safe compared to laser surgery.

thank you
At your age it will be difficult to adjust to wearing +3.50 diopter lens it will seem too strong and "fog" your vision.

Howeverif glasses make your eye straight (either bifocals or building up slowly to the full +3.50 correction) then glasses are the way to go.

Glasses and surgery do different things. If you eye crosses because they need glasses surgery is harmful. Only if the eyes are not straight with your full hyperopic corrrection would surgery be considered. Becasue the eye does not see good and you have poor fusion there is high chance that even if surgery makes eye straight that over 5-10 years it would drift in or out.

Ortho K would not be helpful.

JCH MD
thank you for your reply Dr.Hagan.Yes, the glasses do blur my vision a bit - should I wear a lower prescription?
The question I asked is due to the fact that I am involved in contact sports and glasses are a real impediment , not to mention the strabismus.I presume that when you say "surgery" you are reffering to strabismus surgery.
In regards to the hyperopia : is there any "safe" surgery to correct this ?(from what I've read the answer is no).

thank you for your time.
Hyperopic glasses are very difficult to get use to if you take them off and on a lot plus they don't help control your strabismus when off.

Hyperopic lasik is not as reliable as myopic lasik but some Eye MDs claim predictable results with low and medium powers.

Conductive keratoplasty where the cornea is burned into shape with radiofrequency probes has fallen (thankfully) out of favor.

I suggest you see a strabismus Eye MD (pediatric ophthalmologist). In the USA find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
You will find members of the AAO in all english speaking countries at their website. You can also try to find in all other countries.
Even my ophthalmologist here in Germany is to be found at aao.org.
Hello Doctor,
I am from India and i am suffering from high myopia. As last week i consulted doctor he said i have a small hole in retina and it needs to closed by a minor laser treatment.

Kindly give your valuable answers/inputs to my following questions --
1. My RE power -14 nad LE -12 upto what number it increases?

2. Is there any chance i lost my vision as i go old? (I am 35 yrs old now)

3. It will affect my professional as i work with software company and 8 to 10 hours in front of computer?

4. Let me know me Do's Dont's when we suffer from high myopia

5. What is best solution if i wanted to come out of it? I mean please suggest me the best permanent solution

Waiting for your response and Thanks in advanceAdvance
Chandru

answered elsewhere
JCH MD
Since I last posted in this thread , I've been considering LASEK surgery to correct my hyperopia(and subsequent accomodative esotropia).From what I have read, it seems to be the best choice/option.
From your experience , how succesful is this procedure in cases similar to mine?(from what I understand ,hyperopic laser surgery does not have very good outcomes).

thank you for all your help

all the best ,
sysiphus