hypothyroidism and eye floaters
I am 58 years old and have had Hashimoto's since I was in my early 20's.  In the last few years it appears that my thyroid has been healing itself and after some prolonged symptoms of anxiety, chest pain and sleeplessness, my  dose of thyroxine was lowered several times last year.  My life has become more stressful than usual in the last year and three weeks ago I developed a lot of floaters in my left eye as well as light flashes.  I was checked by an opthamologist and I do not have a detached retina.  My eye is very dry, and feels irritated.  I also feel a sense of pressure behind my eye or even in my eyeball at times and my vision is not as sharp as it used to be.   I had a huge aura in my left eye a few days ago...didn't get the migraine because I took advil.  I have had a great deal of anxiety and trouble sleeping and I don't know if this is due to my life circumstances, my thyroid levels or the stress of these eye symptoms.  I am wondering if there is a possible connection between my eye symptoms and my thryoid function.  Could an inappropriate dose of thyroxine cause these symptoms?
Under or over active thyroid can cause eye problems but not the type you describe. Use the search feature and archives to read about the treatment of dry eyes.

JCH MD