Eye Care Expert Forum
infections and restasis
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

infections and restasis

I was diagnosed with dry eye, blepharitis, clogged glands in March.  I was prescribed Retasis, which seems to be helping.   I use warm compresses and wash with baby shampoo twice a day.  However, I continue to have inflamed eyelids, I've lost most of my eyelashes and my eyes get infected constantly.  I have been using zylet, and dioxcycline orally.  My doctor insists I keep using restasis even though my eyes are constantly infected.  I thought this was contraindicted.  And the antibiotics don't help at all.  My eyes just get worse by the day. Any suggestions?
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
I generally find restasis to be helpful in cases of chronic dry eyes with associated with chronic lid margin disease.  Not all cases respond though and oral doxycycline and oral flax and fish oil are often very helpful.  I also like to use commercial lid scrubs like ocusoft original to start with and sometimes sterilid cream works great.  There is one other thing - demodex follicularis - which are little mites in the eyelash follicles.  They can cause terrible blepharitis in some people and the  doctor needs to look for that.  He may not see them unless he has a 25x magnification slit lamp and knows what to look for.

MJK MD
2 Comments
Blank
517208_tn?1211644466
Dear j2mb,

I would recommend that you seek a second opinion to determine which treatments are most effective. Sometimes, in blepharities, early in the course of treatment, the eyelid hygiene worsens the irritation of the eyelid but it is ultimately most beneficial.  I would also make sure you are not allergic to medicines.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers