Eye Care Expert Forum
injured eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

injured eye
I ran into a tree branch about 6 hrs. ago.  My eye is teary, vision blurred, and it fells like something is in it.  I've washed it out many times--the  painful spot does not move.  Also, my nose has been running ever since and that side of my face aches.  I'm really miserable but don't want to go to the er if not necessary.  Thank you for any help.
Dear bellami12,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause of your discomfort.  It is important for you to get checked as you could have a serious issue and need to be observed.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Same thing happened to me 8 months ago.  It was a pine tree and the needle scratched my cornea.  I did go to the eye doctor and he gave me antibiotic drops because he said tree branches are full of bacteria.  You don't want to get an infection and you don't want scarring on your cornea.  I would go in if I were you, but don't go to ER, go to the eye doctor.    Eyes heal really fast, so you may already be ok, but if not go in.