Eye Care Community
iol power number

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

iol power number

an acrysof iq iol with a power of 20.0 D was used during cataract surgery.....i am supposed to be set to see distance with it......what does 20.0D mean?  i vaguely read that decreasing that number is to set it for nearsightedness and increasing it means setting it for distance.....can someone explain the theory behind it?

thanks in advance.
Needing a power of 20.0 D for distance vision suggests that you have good distance vision before surgery.  Higher powers would suggest that you were farsighted.  Lower powers would indicate nearsightedness.
yes, i am/was farsighted before surgery.......so what does higher power (20.0D  i assume) do or give me?.....i am trying to understand why i will probably need reading glasses and possibly for computer use as well, which by the way is fine.....i am so happy that i can see so much better and w/o all the glare and cloudiness that i am not complaining......would just like to know what lies ahead.

thanks
A monofocal IOL has a single focal target--in your case, it's distance vision.  It's normal and expected that near and intermediate vision will be blurry.  BTW, aspheric IOLs like the AcrySof IQ are advertised as providing improved contrast sensitivity/night driving ability.  I have the same IOLs as you, and I do think that they boost your ability to drive on dark roads at night.  
my vision deteriorated slowly over several years that i find it hard to recall what the world was/looked  like when i had no cataracts.....but it seems that it gives more contrast.....everything seems to be more pronounced.....colors seemingly more saturated....although like i said in comparison to  what i vaguely recall i used to see before......havent driven at night yet but i am almost sure that it will be easier because of less glare from incoming headlights.....if anything, i might say that things tend to be more yellowish ever so slightly ......due to the blue light feature of the lens, i think.
Alcon claims that their blue-light filtration feature doesn't affect color perception.  I don't notice a yellowish tint, but who knows?  (The amount of filtration varies with the power of the IOL; lenses to correct highly myopic eyes have the least filtration.)  Given the terribly inflated claims made in the advertising for ReZoom, ReStor, and Crystalens, it seems like the lens manufacturers can get away with saying just about anything they want.