Eye Care Community
iris turning white

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

iris turning white

I just noticed the top of my iris in both eyes have turned milky white in color. (I have brown eyes) It is about 1 mm in width and extends over the tpo portion of both eyes. Could this be due to improperly fitted contacts? or some other eye problem?  The reason I noticed it is because I examined my eyes after my contacts ( 1 month wear) seemed to be irritating my eyes- had itchy, slightly red eyes for about 1 1/2 weeks then started wearing glasses  
Tags: white, iris
1. It could be due to the trauma of the contacts.
2. If you are over 40 it could be due to age (arcus of cornea) or high cholesterol.

Ask your CTL fitter for a diagnosis. If its arcus have your family MD draw a "fasting blood lipids" and discuss the results with you.  

Arcus is like your hair turning gray. It does not affect vision.

JCH MD
What if its over one eye and your not that old with normal cholesterol with red veins branching towards the white spot?
That's too iffy and vague to answer. You should see an Eye MD for a definitive diagnosis.

Find one at www.aao.org

JHC MD
Well it is like you said it does not effect my vision, and the nearest doctor is 100 mi away was looking online first because the health aids here are not all that helpful. Sure would be an inconvenience to buy an air fair ticket. Was just wanting to know if it was bad enough to have eye cheeked.
Could it be Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is not at all likely to cause this type of change. 100 miles is not that far to invest in keeping your sight.

JCH MD