Eye Care Expert Forum
iritis floaters

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

iritis floaters
I had severe iritis 4+ in my right eye about 2 years ago (had so much inflammation that my vision was a cloud of white) but after 3 months of ocular steroids my vision returned to normal.  This year I have had episclerits in the right eye in January and episcleritis in the left eye in March.  I have had numerous blood tests and xrays - all normal.

I was diagnosed with iritis in both eyes March 26.  The inflammation is gone in the right eye.  I still have 1+ iritis in my left eye nearly a month later.  I am on OmniPred 4 times a day.  The redness is gone now, but I still have a little sun sensitivity and floaters.  I see about ten dots that are dark gray and about 20 more that are light gray.  I never had floaters before this episode of iritis.  I want to know will the floaters ever go away?  Will the inflammation keep coming back?
Dear Mylynncats,

No one can predict whether your iritis will recur.  Floaters usually will become less noticeable over time and become less prominent.  The sensitivity may suggest some inflammation.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California