Eye Care Expert Forum
itchy, tired, and pressure behind eyes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

itchy, tired, and pressure behind eyes

Hi.  I have been having some problems with my eyes over the last few weeks.  Most of the time they itch or feel tired, and sometimes they twitch.  Lately I have begun feeling pressure behind my eyes, which I think is caused by allergies affecting my sinuses.  I had my regular eye exam a few months ago and everything was fine then.  I have been using eye wash to try and clear them, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.  Is there any alternatives that I can try?  My vision has not been affected by all this, but it is extremely irritating.  I am pretty sure my opthamologist would have found something during my exam if there were a serious cause to this.  Thank you.
Related Discussions

_

The most common problems that would cause such symptoms include dry eyes and blepharitis which is a low grade infection of the eyelids.  Dry eyes can be treated by using artificial tears.  Blepharitis can be treated by soaking your eyelids with warm compresses and sometimes using an antibiotic ointment on your eyelids.  Both of these conditions are common and are underdiagnosed.  It is also possible that these symptoms could be related to an allergy that is affecting your eye or eyelids.  If this is the case a combination of cold compresses and special eyedrops will likely improve your symptoms.  It is difficult without seeing you to make the diagnosis.  You can speak to your ophthalmologist to find out more information.
This information was provided for medical educational purposes only.
Good luck.
HFHS M.D.-JL

Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
711220_tn?1251894727
Ray T Oyakawa, MDBlank
Sharper Vision Centers
Torrance, CA
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO