itchy red swollen eyelids,,,not Blepharitis - please help me!!!!
here i go....so for the last 6 months i have had itchy eyelids...my eye doctor told me it was due to mild allergies and prescribed eye drops which didnt help in the least so i turned to over the counter allergy medicine which hasn't helped either (so i dont think it's allergies) and in the last 3 weeks not only are my eyelids itchy but when i wake up in the morning my upper eye lids are bright red and swelled up so bad that its embarassing!!!! i have switched makeup brands, stopped wearing makeup all together, changed pillowcases religiously, done the compresses, used mild baby shampoo on my eyes to clean them now, i take my vitamins, gone to the dermatologist who again prescribed more allergy medication (hasnt worked) went to an Ophthalmologist who said he didnt think it wasnt blepharitis but really wasnt sure what was going on so he prescribed me bousch & lombs neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment USP to apply to my eyelids which if anything in the last 4 days of using it has actually caused the swelled upper part of my eyelids to burn...typically the swelling goes down thru the day but by the time night hits theyre back to being all swelled up again...im 25 and done as much research as i can...this is literally killing me...(and i hate not wearing makeup!!!) please oh please if you have any ideas of what i may be doing wrong or what i can do to help my poor eyes let me know!!! anything will help at this point!
thanks
~~k~~
I just put a post about parabens, and needless to say they are in everything.  Just thought I would let you know.  I am still in the process of having to change everything over to paraben free.  It's going to be a long process.
I just wanted to post an update. The tobradex cleared up all redness, dryness everything within 24 hours. I was told to use it for a week so I am still putting it on 2x a day. I am worried whatever i am allergic to will cause a flareup once I stop applying this medicine. But we shall see. If it gets bad again, I am going to go to a dermatologist. I guess I could be allergic to something ive been using for years. anything is possible. Just wanted to let you guys know that tobradex works.
Hi ,
I have posted a few times here.... so I won't go in to detail, but my trigger is Vitamin E (also known as Tocopheral acetate in ingredient lists). This is also in many, many products. Once I eliminated it from my skin care regimen, I haven't had a problem since and I have learned what color my eyelids should really look.

I also have a reaction to something in whitening tooth pastes. I haven't quite figured out the exact ingredient that triggers a reaction, but I was visiting my mom for a few days and noticed that the tiny rash on the corners of my mouth disappeared and I linked it to the toothpaste b/c it was the only product I wasn't  using of mine. So, I just started using non-whitening toothpaste.

I had a new esthetician for a facial that i got a few months ago and she didn't read my chart and she used a product with Vitamin E in it and my eyes began to itch like crazy.... i went home and washed my face and the reaction did not last more than 24 hours. So, my biggest advice is spend the time to figure out what is causing the reaction versus treating it with steroids--- the problem will just continue to resurface..... you may need the steroids to get you over the hump and onto feeling better, but then I wouldn't go back to using the same products.
Amen, sister!!!  =)
I'm wondering : Did you have a problem with red eyes? Mine are absolutely bloodshot--not a bit of white in them. I've no idea what's going on. Began last week, never happened before...

Thank you.
Hi...I recently... well last night had lash extensions applied. My eye lids are extremely puffy, itchy and red lids. They are also slightly burning. Anyone out there experienced this before and will hot compress or cold compress work best for the  puffiness and swelling? Does it sound like I can treat at home with some sort of remedy or not? The lashes are still on. I thought if my eyes are still the same in the morning I may have to have them removed.
Could I have Blepharitis and if so can this be treated at home and how so? Please any suggestions ASAP! My eyelids look like lips. HELP!!!
Hope you are feeling better. My eyes usually are only blood shot b/c I rub them. There are over the counter drops for allergies if this is a problem that persists.
You may be allergic to something that was used to apply the lashes. I would suspect that you could treat this from home, but you may have to call your doctor to get through the hump though. One time I did use a cream based shampoo that had minimum ingredients to get through rough patch (I think some people have used kids shampoos too).  Good luck and yes, I would remove the lashes.
Sound like you need to take Famvir. Have you tried that?
Hi all,
I wanted to share my experience and hope that it might help someone here.  I have been dealing with itchy, swollen, red, dry and wrinkly under eye since December of 2014.  Mine symptoms are mostly under my left eye.  I  had three episodes since december.  Each time what worked for me for itchy eye is diluted apple cider vinegar (I use braggs) applied to the area 3 to 4 times a day, especially when its itchy.  Then apply olive oil (I use whole foods 365 organic) to bring the swelling down and moisturize.  I also apply egyptian magic to moisturize bc olive oil alone not enough for me.   I also tried the nizoral shampoo today.  Hoping it will keep the episodes away.  My biggest concern is wrinkles that are left behind after the episodes.  I tried so many creams out there and nothing is helping.  I hope the wrinkles are not permanent.  Please share if you found anything that helps the wrinkles.
ok, so i bought egyptian magic, astralagus, udo's oil and lysine.  so far, good.  however, i have the damaged skin, wrinkles and puffiness.  i hate it!  if anyone has a solution, please share.
Find out what is causing the reaction. My reaction is from Vitamin E (common ingredient in 95% of skin care products). It takes time and requires you to stop using your favorite products. See my previous posts about what i have done.

Once I eliminated Vitamin E, i never had a problem again and my eye lids are a normal color and you won't ever have to worry about treating the symptoms again.
That sounds like eczema, especially the part about the skin irritations back of the knees.
I have spent the last four days reading the entire post of 900+ messages, and if you are new to this site, you really need to go and read them all.  There is important identification of the problem, suggestions to soothe and relieve the symptoms, and then follow-up detective work to find the cause and a maintenance program to hopefully end the cycle.  There are many products/methods and mixtures recommended and you have to sort through them all.  For example Nizoral, Tinactin and Lamisil and are all anti-fungals (some variations in formulations though).  Neosporin, Polysporin and apple cider vinegar are all antibiotic.  The Egyptian Magic which is 100% natural contains olive oil and honey, among other ingredients.  You’ll find duplicates of these ingredients in other recommendations.  So, check the ingredients of the recommendations to sort out the duplications and patterns that speak to you.  BTW, the Mario Badescu Control Cream ingredients show antiseptic, antifungal and antiparasite properties, a combination also mentioned in other recommendations.
The “answer” is hard to find because when you are in the midst of a flare-up you need something to soothe and recover from the inflammation and sometimes the infection that comes from the impossible-to-ignore itching and scratching.  The solution to this is not the solution to the original problem.  So success is short lived.  The challenge is identifying the cause.  I think ScQue814 is putting it together.  The problem could be a fungus or allergen, or both, and an environment, hormonal flare, or stress/sleepless situation could fuel it.  Journaling all these factors as soon as you experience a flare-up might lead to the detection of a pattern you can address.  There is a site that lists triggers for rosacea flare-ups and it spoke to me.   It includes menopause, stress, anxiety, overheating, alcohol and many other things which matches my profile and ones I’ve seen outlined here.
I had an idea—has anyone tried a regimen on one eye and another combination on the other eye?  We could experiment with two combos at one time and report.
Lastly, as others have said, many thanks to all the careful and thoughtful posts here.  We have all helped each other so much.
I just read this--interesting commentary on inflammation and rosacea and high glycemic diet, menopause, etc. etc.  An interesting pattern continues to emerge here.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/rosacea/experts-are-diet-and-alternative-treatments-effective.aspx
**Seborrheic dermatitis may be the most common skin condition to occur at the same time as rosacea.  The most common sites on the face include the creases around the nose, the forehead, the inner eyebrows and the external ear canal. The upper eyelids and eyelid margins may be involved.  When seborrheic dermatitis appears with rosacea, a safe and effective antifungal alone may often be prescribed because the long-term use of topical steroids is associated with rosacea-like symptoms. This condition is known as steroid-induced rosacea. Treatment of seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp may include medicated anti-dandruff shampoos.

Is this it?  For more:
http://www.rosacea.org/patients/seborrhea.php
I think this is what I may have, after extensive on-line research - Am seeing a dermatologist in the next week for a skin biopsy to confirm.
Today I am almost clear.  For me it is seborrheic dermatitis.  By chance I found another blog/post about SD, and found this one post that was the answer.  It involves the simple steps of doing a salt based face bath morning and night using unrefined salt.  It is a yeast problem, and this will kill the flare up.  The next step is to determine the underlying cause of the flare ups, but this is an easy and very low cost treatment for the reaction, and you'll soon be able to go outside again!  Good luck everyone.  Please read:
http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=2057688
ITCHY EYELIDS
Just want to share my success with someone.  Itchy eyelids made me crazy for a couple of months.  Much better now because:
1- immediate relief by applying ice on my eyelids.  Just wrap some crushed ice in a moist soft cloth.
2- more relief by patting my eyelids with a soft cloth moistened with oatmeal powder mixed in water (I just used oatmeal from my pantry that I hammered with a mallet into powder)  You can do this as often as you like.
3- moisturize around eyes with Aquaphor
4- clean eyelids twice daily with TheraFresh sterilid foam cleanser
5- moisten eyes with Refresh Plus preservative free eye drops
6- clean contact lenses with Clear Care hydrogen peroxide cleanser
Sorry about the brand names, but this is exactly what has worked for me.  The last 3 steps form an easy daily regimen that feels good too.  I'm fine now and can wear makeup again.

If you have recurring blepharitis, or dry-eye (meibomian gland dysfuction) then it is incredibly likely that it is caused by a bug that your doctor probably knows diddly about. Demodex Folliculorum and Demodex Brevis are tiny (less than half mm) spider-like insects that are colonized on roughly 90 percent of the population. These bugs live on our skin, but their life cycle involves egg laying in the base of hair and gland follicles. Very unpleasant, and slightly sci-fi, I know, but it is coming to light that rosacea, acne and blepharitis are caused by flare ups when the demodex population dramatically increases due to weakened immunity or stress. Don't take my word for it, Wiki Demodex!
The two most consistent treatments involve making a paste with mustard powder, and tea tree oil, both of which are applied topically, like every day, for about a year. Maybe you can eradicate Demodex, more likely just control their numbers. This is the kind of info that your doctor is afraid would cause mass hysteria. And he's right, because chronic blepharaitis is only worsened by knowing that the die-off from me killing them in my pores is met by their bodies decomposing within my follicles, leaving waste and possibly bacteria behind. Lovely day! Eyelid and eye sockets are notoriously poorly washed areas, and it's time to start paying attention to eyelid hygiene. Every day. When forced out of the eyelash follicles where they dwell during the day, these mites migrate to the scalp, cheeks, ears, nose... Ive even had a couple borrow in my thighs! So the entire body must be addressed, or they can literally be chased out of the eyes out to other body areas. I swear I am not making this up. It's time to face the truth. I've been using tea tree oil (100 percent) on a cotton swab. I brush the base of upper and lower eyelids and leave on for 10 minutes. Stings like hell and dries out my eyelids something awful. I do this every day, twice. Tea tree oil shampoo keeps Demodex from taking refuge on my scalp, though they do try. I'm suddenly plunged into an obsessive set of rituals. It's either that or go back to denial, and suffer constant tearing of my right eye, and swollen, red inflamed lids. The problem, literally at the root of your eyelashes.
OMG hasn't anyone here figured out that their eyes/skin?
It is commonly caused by Demodex mite, a tiny inssect that stays burrowed and lays eggs in the eyelash follicles. Look up Demodex Blepharitis.
Once the source of the problem is understood and accepted, you can begin realistic treatment, principally with tea tree oil and mustard powder made into a paste.
I have started having this problem recently. It is awful. I am 62 and the wrinkles are too much. And they came with this eye problem.  Burning, itching,scaling. My doctor says it is a fungus so he prescribed Kecanozole applied 2x a day.
NO MAKEUP FOR 3 WEEKS. THREW EVERYTHING AWAY. NO MAKEUP. I WALK OUTSIDE WITHOUT MAKEUP AND BIRDS  FALL FROM THE SKY. I FIND HUMOR HELPS EVERYTHING, OLD BARNS NEED PAINT!
It clears up, I buy new make-up. I apply nail polish. It is back. I kept putting the cream on it once a day still.
And tonight I found all of these posts and was so relieved that I am not alone, but sad to hear all of you having the same problem. I am about to google, Google and Google everything everyone has suggested.
Thank you so much for the time, the care and concern everyone who has made posts has demonstrated.
I do use Dr. BRONNER'S tea tree soap, if you have seborrheic keratosis it will soften and lighten them also.
I will let ya'll know how it goes. Yes, I  am a Southern girl. Pollen has been very bad this year and I have had sinus issues like never before.
You are a great bunch of folks.
Gamigirl
My 20months old baby crys and itches his eyes so hard, I have to help him itch it many times and I sometimes I will help him itch it for upwards of 20minutes before he falls asleep.  It usually itches him in the nights before bedtime, and a the itch wakes him up in the morning.  I have not noticed any redness on the eye nor have I seen any swelling.  This has been going on for over a year now.  Please does anyone have an idea of what is going on?
I have the same issues. It  has been affecting my looks and I am only 22. Lets help each other please
Has this helped? Have same issues with right eye.
Id possible let me know what works because the same problem is arising yet again on my red eyelid.
Hey
I have the same problem to a tee, did anything help?
I am so desperate.
thanks
it will take a while for you to get used to the new fur but youl become immune
Do you mean that your baby rubs his eyes a lot, or that he actually scratches them?

And when you 'itch' them for him, what exactly are you doing?

I really think you need to talk with his pediatrician about this.  Rubbing or 'itching' someone's eyes for 20 minutes can only cause even more irritation.
=
I remedied this by using NO more BABY WIPES or eye make up removing wipes or microfiber anything on my eyelids or under my eyelids.    (Sorry for the caps but you're all pretty desperate as I was, and I think this might be what is causing our problem.)  It flares up really bad when I use anything like that around my eyes.  I just use a very gentle cleanser like jojoba oil and nothing with alcohol in it.  Too drying.

NO WATERPROOF makeup.  
I don't sleep with the A/C on my face.
Keep well-hydrated, especially during the hotter months.
I noticed it started when I started using those stupid exfoliating wipes and baby wipes and microfiber washcloths to take off my makeup.  Once I stopped using that stuff and rehydrated myself with fish oils and evening primrose oils, I can wear makeup again.
Thanks gingerbaker.
Sorry for all the comments, but I have follow-up thoughts and I can't edit my posts.  Do any of you sit near or under an A/C or heating vent?  I noticed that my right eye was worse when I had the flair up and the only thing I could connect it to was the A/C vent in my car -- I'd have it pointed right at my face.  I really need to have my car a/c vents cleaned since it's an old car and I am quite sure there has to be mold spores in those vents.  

My bed is right next to my a/c (on my right side) and I know for a fact that thing needs to be cleaned because it's a wall unit that hasn't been updated since they built our apartment complex -- a loooong time ago.  

Someone else mentioned this happens when people are stressed.  I don't know.  I have been stressed plenty but never this bad.  

The A/C and heating units will dry you out and so we have to drink a LOT of water and lay off the alcohol and cigs and sweets or drastically cut them down.

KI hope
I have been suffering for months now, and have just stumbled upon this thread.  I myself awoke one morning with a very raw, red, swollen left eye.  Over the next few days, it was both eyes.  I also developed a dry, flaky sort of rash around the folds of my nose, the corners of my mouth, behind my ear, down my neck, across my chest, and on the insides of the elbow folds on both arms.   I've now been seen by 2 care now Dr's, which initially diagnosed me with Atopic Dermititis, and then two weeks later with Impetigo.  I was given both antibiotics, and steroids.  While the rash and my painful swollen eyes seemed to improve initially, after finishing treatment both times, it came back with a vengeance!!  I then saw an Internal Medicine Doc who referred me for Auto Immune testing, but suspected that this immune response could be a result of a fungal infection, and prescribed Nystatin (An oral anti-fungal).  I took the Nystatin for the 10 days prescribed, and also cut out ALL sugar and starch from my diet.   I'm an avid red wine drinker, so this was not an easy or enjoyable measure for me.  The anti fungal approach worked!!!  Finally a little relief.   At this point I started researching and experimenting different options for myself while also making the appointment with the Rheumatologist. (Will note what I've found that's made a difference to date below)   The Rheumatologist tested me for a number of Auto Immune deficiencies, as well as Lyme, Thyroid, and the like.   Everything came back negative.  4 months and 4 Dr.'s later, the Rheumatologist referred me to an Allergist and Immunologist for allergy testing.   While yes, I do have a number of allergies, and food sensitivities, I suspect, that this is not allergy related (Although I'm sure the allergies are not helping anything).Having reached a point of utter frustration, after seeing numerous specialists, with little to no help or definitive answers, I've taken the below noted steps on my own, based on research from the 20+ books I've read as it relates to fungal infections in the body.  
Here's what I know for sure:
1. Antihistamines do not help
2. Antibiotics and Steroids also do not help- in fact exacerbated the symptoms upon completion of the treatments every single time.  Fact- Antibiotics and Steroids will cause a fungus to explode- It's why we're encouraged to take Pro-biotics especially when taking antibiotics.  Pro-biotic are the good bacteria that keep the bad bacteria in check in our digestive system.
3. This is not caused by an allergy.  (I spent the last 4 months strictly adhering to the elimination diet recommended for food allergies-with no real change)  I travel for a living, so the possibility of an airborne allergen causing the rash is not possible.   All of my skin care, hair care, body lotions are hypoallergenic, and have been used for years with no reactions.  I also went weeks without any makeup at all during all of this, and it made no difference at all.

What did make a difference:
1. Nystatin prescribed by internal medicine doc- Fungal infections are tricky because you can't just kill the fungus, but you also have to kill the spores which won't become fungus for another 30-45 days.   So it often takes several rounds of treatment to eliminate the fungal infection.
2. Because of the success I had with the anti-fungal medication, I added a rather lengthy list of supplements to my daily routine with anti-fungal properties.  This had a huge positive effect on the rash and swelling and discomfort on my eyelids as well as around my nose and ears.  In fact on one trip out of state, I forgot to take them, and I had a flare up of epic proportions.  
3.  I started cleansing my face (and any areas of skin on my neck, arms, face with the same dry flaky rash) 2 to 3 times a day with a mild Tea Tree cleansing pad from Trader Joes.  While yes, it did sting, it also made it significantly better.  And as the rash healed, the cleansing pads no longer caused a stinging sensation when used.  The rash is completely gone from my neck, chest, and arms- and only my eyelids, and around my nose flare up from time to time.

All of these things lead me to strongly believe that the issue is indeed fungal related.  I'm seeing yet another specialist in the coming week- This time a dermatologist, for a skin biopsy.  I've stopped taking all my supplements, and also stopped using the tea tree pads in the meantime so that I will have something to show them other than pictures and for them to biopsy.  And wouldn't you know it, it's flaring up.  Hopefully I'll have some results after the biopsy next week to report.

In the meantime, if this info could help anyone else, I thought I would pass it along.
=
I have found a solution to my problem.  So glad that I found this community.  I read all of the posts.  And decided I needed to go to the doctors again.  
Here is my story,  in February 2013, I started to develop symptoms of my eyelids burning after I washed my face at night and put my moisturizer on, I was using Cetaphil(which I used for over 10 years) and Oil of Olay Regnerist(about a year).   I immediately washed off my face with water and stopped using the Oil of Olay, still used Cetaphil and went back to using Clinque yellow lotion.  Well my eyes starting getting worse, I dealt with it until I moved in July, it was really bad at this point so I went to my local urgent care since I just moved and didnt have a doctor.  I was told I had contact dermatitis, given presnisone pills and was told to start eliminating things to see what I was allergic to.  The redness went away the pills stopped and the redness itchyness returned.  I went back to the urgent care, was given the same treatment.  During the coarse of both treatments, I started using all products that were geared towards allergies, such as scent free laundry soaps, all natural shampoos, bath soaps, etc.  I even bought all new organic makeup and new hypoallergenic pillows.  I even would soak my contacts in saline solution before I put them in my eyes (eye doctor told me I wasn’t allergic to my contacts or solutions because my eyeballs weren’t red or itchy)  Of course by now I am going crazy because nothing is working.  I have tried all of the following which helped but the flair ups would come and go:
No make up
Hot washcloths to the eyes
Ocusoft eyelid cleaner
Nubian Heritage Black African Soap
Aloe
Oil treatment
Teabags
Vaseline
Zyrtec
Bare Minerals Makeup
Will not use products that has Glyceryl Stearate in them
Hydrocortisone cream
All natural cleansing and moisturizing products by www.skincatering.com   excellent!!!

I found this community in October, so I made yet another doctors appointment because my condition was at its absolute worse ever.  That day the doctor had a student with her and asked if I wanted to let the student examine me, so I agreed, they have to learn right?  He was very throughout, asking my history and lots of questions, he said it could be eczema, I was convinced it was blepheritis since I has searched the web for over 2 years. I was even thinking it was a food allergy not having any symptom after eating any foods just the constant itchy red eyelids. He lefted the room to confer with the doctor and they came back in the room.  She agreed with the eczema and said its quiet common.  She suggested that I see a dermatologist.  She said I could use the hydrocortisone cream I had used before but only twice a day for 10 days, its not good for your eyelids since that skin is so delicate.  I was using 1% over the counter she gave me 2.5% prescription and she also had recently been to the dermatologist herself and he suggested to her that she use Cerave products. So off I went to CVS to pick up the prescription and check out the Cerave Products.  Since I use my Skin Catering Cleanser I decided to try some of the Cerave PM facial Moisturizing lotion.  OMG  that stuff is the best thing I have ever used.  My eyes are no longer red, itchy, saggy, runny, swollen.  I have my glow back when I use mascara you can see that I have some on, wow.  Fingers crossed that I can keep the eczema at bay. I will comment back in a couple of weeks with an update on my situation!

I have the same problem. I went for allergy tests and was told I'm irritated by ceteryl alcohol. This is in all creamy moisterisers including eczema favourites like Aqueous cream and E45. I looked for a moisteriser without this and started using facial oils like Palmers Cocoa oil. This worked temporarily but my eyes started to get sore again after a while. A few months ago I bought a jar of organic coconut oil and this seemed to help. However after making a big mistake of using facial washes for a few weeks (that don't contain ceteryl alcohol!) my eyes are sore again and although better since stopping the facial wash, are still being irritated by something! This can only be the coconut oil, vaseline or cotton wool. I'm at my witsend with this issue. I hate not wearing make up, I hate feeling ugly!!!! Some days my eyes looked scorched. I need to moisterise the rest of my face but my eyes get sore as a consequence.  My lips also crack in the corners when my eyes are sore and won't heal which can be a sign of aneamia. I am aneamic and take appropriate action to combat this so I think this is linked to whatever is irritating me as well. I read recently it could be linked to food intolerances....has anyone been tested for this? I've not read all 900 odd answers so apologies if there is already a miracle answer here somewhere. Perhaps someone could direct me to it if so!!
Try the Aveeno Baby Eczema lotion. It's gentle for babies and works immediately for me.
I have had this in the corner of my eyelid for about a month. It's been red, swollen, itchy, flaky and watery.  It's been driving me crazy!
I tried anti-fungal cream which made it mad. That ruled our trying tea tree oil since it also has anti-fungal properties.
Then I tried cortizone cream. Again it just made it mad and so swollen.
Last night I tried Aveeno Baby Eczema lotion with oatmeal.
OMG! I woke up with the swelling gone and my eye almost looks normal again! I'm going to keep using that. It's the only thing that it's responding to. And that tells me it most likely is eczema.
=
=
Dr John, can u help me with this itchy eyelids that I've been suffering for 3 months ..
For the past 6.5 months now I have suffered from what my eye doctor has said is blepharitis..but the only symptom I have is swollen left eyelid on the top and bottom. I don't have any of the other symptoms. I have tried everything from antihistamines, steroids, Tobradex, ointments, tetracycline, doxycycline..nothing seems to be working for me..i was told to do hot compress, but it made my eyelid swelling worse :( please, if anyone has suffered this symptom as well and has over come it, please let me know what you had tried.. I'm willing to try anything  
That is unusual, especially not responding to such vigorous treatment and also just being one eye. I would suggest a second opinion from an ophthalmologist, if possible one that specializes in cornea and external disease. It may be something other than blepharitis.    JCH MD
While listening to NPR many years ago, I heard an inventor talk about a way of softening water electronically without using salt. Why did he invent this? Because of his sore, eroding eyelids! So long as I avoid water that has gone through a salt treatment system, my eyelids remain intact. Recently, I saw a new dentist and a high pressure system was used to clean my teeth that may have used baking soda as the main cleaning agent since it tasted very salty, and since all of my gums reacted by going into extreme irritation. Wondering if it could be related. Anyone have a thought or experience in the regard?
Salt in US drinking water is very minimal. If it were a problem distilled water could be used. actually many people find with with salt (normal saline) is more comfortable than hypotonic tap water.

JCHMD
I have had blepharitis for some years and only recently found a product that actually helps, so I know exactly how you feel. I found a product that you can use to clean your eyelids with and that also comes with a cleansing gel that has done wonders for my eyes. It's called style'n'clean pen and cleansing gel. Hope this can help you to.
Just looked at the style  n clean pen and great care would be needed or you'll end up with a corneal abrasion.
Not sure who you are directing this last question to.
I lad had difficulty in the evening when I went to bed. Swollen lids and sneezing. I began to wash sheets on a more regular basis but the symptoms persisted. I continue to have some effects but they have decreased since I have begun to vaccume my mattress. I was horrified to see what actually will come out of a mattress. I was tested for allergies and found I am highly allergic to dust mites. I have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner and was able to see what came out. As I said my symptoms have diminished considerably at night. Hop this helps.
=
I have been reading all these responses and no one has made the gut connection. I believe these to be reactions caused by glyphosate poisoning in the majority of our foods.  ....especially wheat products (which is in everything from bread, crackers, pasta, seasonings, etc...). My research led me to find that they spray the glyphosate on the wheat the WEEK BEFORE harvesting.....basically a slow kill to us.  They even spray this stuff on our produce.  When this problem initially occurred with my eyelids, the only change in my life was I had switched to wheat bread for my daily sandwiches.  It is not an immediate response, it takes several days before the eyelid itching and inflammation and then crusting and flaking and lasts about 2 weeks as long as I do not eat a food that has pesticides in / on it.  
That's pretty "out there" as a theory. If they are poisoning our food why has life expectancy increased so much in the past 20 years?
Good theory. GMOS and pesticides and chemicals are certainly aggressors of autoimmune conditions such as the said eyelid eczema/ dermatitis/ psoriasis
John MD - we all know glysophate is poisonous and it's in ALL our food. Come on. Get with it doc!
Perhaps you should wander over to a 'food conspiracy" forum.
DEMODEX - Over abundance of the human skin and hair mite, try tea tea oil wipes around your eyes, you can buy these or do what I do, by occusoft wipes and,add your own tea tree oil, a few drops, use terpina4-ol kind, i use essential brand on Amazone.  I have been dealing with same issue for 3 years, have not been able to wear makeup that long, spent so much money on doctors, been to 3 doctors and they all dismissed demodex.  Started using and it was instant relief, you have to do this treatment for quite some time to treat these little mites.  Hope this helps everyone out there
=