Eye Care Community
itchy red swollen eyelids,,,not Blepharitis - please help me!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Viewing 801-896 comments:
I have been on prednisone 3 times since beginning of the year for swelling, redness, itching around the eyes...Doc says its allergic reaction....I thought it was laundry detergent but most recently I had started using my old dryer sheets (I put them away after issues in January).....This last time, I had injection and 6 days of steriods and then within a few days eyes are swollen, itchy and red again...I was taking Zyrtec and benadryl daily...Yesterday, I started taking allegra and it seems to be working!!!!!!  And Neosporin has new product...eczema essentials body wash and moisterizer which are the only products that don't irritate my skin around eyes...
For about a month now my eyes have been extremely dry, swollen, and have had green gooey stuff that has an odd odor that kinda smells like onions.. Every morning my eyes are so swollen and crusty that I literally can't open them unless I force em open with my fingers.. It extremely hurts and has caused me to have close to no eye lashes left :( im at the point where I wont go out in public anymore and this has made me so depressed all i do is lock myself in my room shutting out the world due to embarrassment.. I try to hide my face even from my 8 & 9 yr old daughters.. PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND HELP ME GET BETTER!!
Sounds like a MAJOR eye infection to me!   There's a delicate balance between needing the health-care professionals and taking care of things yourself.  Unless you're living in a sci-fi Blade Runner universe... you only have one set of eyes!  Right now, I say to SEEK A PROFESSIONAL!  
I hope to God you're a troll.  If not, see a DOCTOR STAT.
Go to a doctor.  Today.  This is serious.
I found something at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday that gave me great relief!  "Vitamin E stick" by Reviva Labs for $3.98.  The package says "all natural".  You never really know what that means for sure, but it has vitamin E, olive oil, castor oil, beeswax, and some other ingredients in it.  Soothed my eyes immediately.
It's good that it is working for you, but watch for signs of an allergic reaction to Vitamin E (as experienced by another poster on April 17, above).

Vitamin E applied to the skin is a fairly well-known allergen.  You can google this for more information.
Well, I thought my itchiness went away with a 2 days of steroid cream. Came back, and am sticking with Steroid cream for at least a week this go around. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. My doctor said it could be possible that this is my problem when he takes into consideration my other health factors: allergies, asthma, and small rashes on my legs and behind my knees throughout childhood. I also have a very dry scalp....
I felt like this was me writhing this I am 45 I have had this for over a year now. I have been to a dermotologist and an allergist I am allegic to a lot of stuff fragrance wise so I got all fragrance free stuff and it has done nothing I still have the red itchy swollen eyes along with the symptoms you mention on my neck and around my mouth. I find it really weird that so many of us have th same symptoms and no one can diagnose what it is. I have no idea what else to do it's driving me crazy!
Tam in Missouri
My patch test revealed 7 allergens that I reacted to:  paraben, fragrance, nicket, black rubber, potassium dichronate, Mercapto mix, and Tixocortol-21-Pivalate.  I am symptom free for the most part due to being aware of these allergens in my products, and trying products like Vanicream and Free and Clear for lotions, shampoos, conditioners, etc.  My dermatologist also sent me a list of makeups, etc. that they say are safe for me.  I also am using the Selsun Blue medicated shampoo twice a week which I think helps with the overgrowth of fungus/yeast which my opthamologist recommended.  I also have switched to fragrance free/sensitive laundry detergent, softener, and dryer sheets.  I am being very cautious at this point because I do not want another break out.  I also am using my Nasonex every morning and zyrtec at night. I hope everyone finds a solution to their situation and I hope my input may help someone.
Hi,  I've had similar issues for about a month now.  I woke up one day and my left eye was swollen and red.  The outer corner of the eye felt like it had been bitten by a spider.  I soaked with a tea bag and it the swelling gradually came down.  The skin on eye lid and below eye was flaky. After 4 days, it was almost back to normal, then I awoke with the same exact thing in my right eye. The odds of being bitten in the same exact place on each eye seemed a bit long,,,This time the skin issue spread to the cracks around my nose and on my chin.  Doc put me on steroid pills and at first the swelling came down but after 7 days I was hit with both eyes and more cracks in my skin.  I've tried many remedies from this site.  Selsun Blue worked for everything but the swelling, but after some improvement, I had another flare up.  Tee Tree oil mixed with Castor oil burned and aggravated, as did Oregano oil/Castor oil.  I'm now on J baby shampoo at least three times per day.  I can't believe this is yeast related because I gave up sugar and anything that turns to sugar 4 months ago.  I was thinking mites, as I have a dog and a cat and the second flare up followed an intense itching above my eyes.  It felt like something was under my skin,,,,,,I too am avoiding doctors, (I spent 200 for an eye doc to tell me to go to a skin doc,,,,wish I'd told him where to go)  Anyway, I'm on the mend with the baby shamp and Mario creme is due in soon, but I'm wary of a flare up. I appreciate all who have posted and I will continue updates.  I'm a 57yo male with no history of allergies.
Hi, my name is Stephanie. First of all, I want to extend my empathy for he people suffering from this problem, it sounds truly unbearable.
   I also have some suggestions of a different sort. 70% of the time that I have a physical problem, I resort to natural cures. I do this because I feel that pharmaceuticals tend to be a scam, causing more  problems than they claim to fix. most of the time I am able to find a natural cure to my ailment (and my dogs too) by googling homemade and natural remedies. I also swear by acupuncture. you can literally use acupuncture for every human ailment. if your insurance does not cover acupuncture, yu should be able to google a 'low income' or working class acupuncture clinic in your area. they are hundreds of them through out the country. I very highly suggest this to anyone suffering an ailment that they just can't seem to figure out. I hope all turns out for the better for anyone suffering.
Update.  I had some swelling around my left eye last evening and this usually leads to an attack.  I took 2 benedrylls and  all is well this morning.  Mario creme comes today and I'm going to see what non.drowsy clariton does.  Hope all of you are mending!
I have exactly the same symptoms and in the same places.  I'm a little confused though as everyone is talking about a low immune system when mine is overactive.
Not your immune system per se... but your overall health.  For instance, a "gluten attack" for someone with Celiac disease could throw the gut flora out of balance and lead to a bout of SIBO (small-intestinal bacterial overgrowth).  Does that mean that otherwise you're otherwise uhealthy?  No, but if enough dominos fall, you could get there quickly.  Also remember that an over-active immune response can exert stress on the body and start those dominoes falling.  
Mario cream definitely helped with the cracked skin. I continue washing with both Johnsns baby shmp and once a day with selsun blue.  I had a little swelling last evening and took a clariton  non drousy before bed.  So far so good.  I'm getting some acupuncture on Wed (they say liver is involved)  Thanks for everyone's help on this post.  Without it,,,,,,,,,, well, thanks!
Regarding Mario cream, I think its great but not for your eyes. I use it for my dogs persistent anal itch. Its the only thing that seems to work. My oriental rugs are thanking me. My wife and I tried it (we both have blepharitis) and our eyes swelled up like overinflated party balloons.
I finally traveled to the American Eye Institute in LA (Cedars Sinai) where I was instructed to use warm compresses and massage the lids twice daily finishing with Johnson's Baby Shampoo  (the clear kind, green bottle, not the gold one) on a Q-tip scrub using the antibiotic steroid drop Tobradrex (1 drop 2X a day at the end). 6 weeks to clear up I'm told, then continue then regimen sans the Tobradex. After 1 week, they are improving. Mine at least is bleph.
I am 53, and up until I developed this eye problem, looked young for my age!  :(  I have been reading all of these posts for the last hour, and I just don't know what to try.  There have been so many seemingly good suggestions.  My symptoms are:  red, puffy, itchy eyelids.  I honestly don't know what to try.  I have some olive oil, so I think I will go put that on right now.  I will buy some fish oil capsules, and I guess I will take this list of creams and oils to the health food store, and see what I'm inspired to try.  I will report back here, if something helps.  I would also appreciate any suggestions from anyone, too....thanks...Beth
Hi Beth,  I used the process of elimination.  Tea Tree oil made my face blow up.  I tried acupuncture and it was working but it got too expensive as they wanted to see me twice a week.  I'm pretty sure mine is an allergic reaction, but to what I don't know.  I'm using the gold Johnson's baby shampoo and would try the green if I could find it.  Also using Selsun Blue and taking anti-histamines at night. I use the Mario creme and it works for me.  These steps are controlling it but my eyes water constantly and that dries out the skin,,,,,best of luck!

M
You mentioned acupuncture.  Did you go? What was the outcome?
you guys should try cutting out caffeine worked for me allergy thing
This happen about 2 weeks ago. The past 2days i thought it went away. And I got my itchy burning eyes back. I wash my eyes with baby shampoo. But that's doesn't work completely.  Took allergy pills. Doesn't work completely.  I mean it helps a little. But at this point I'm annoyed. I haven't been wearing makeup since. Wearing my glasses. Same moisturizer for years. Maybe its outside allergies.  But idk. Sneezing also. Allergy runs in the family. I mean why are they constantly randomly itching.  I never had this problem. Also been gettingstyes. Its just painful. I'm 20 yrs old. I wanna be able to wear my contacts.  And mascara or concealor atleast. I'm fair skin with tan dark circles. Idk. Hoepefully I find out the issue and find a relief to these swollen itchy dry crusty burning stye wanna rip out my lashes!!!!! After I itch them. They become moisten then the oil glands clog up I'd. Its weird. Let me know what ya done. Doctors appointment in Sept
Ive had this problem for about 5 years with a total of 10 flairups....alot of people mention moisturizer as part of their lives....I only have a breakout when i use one with spf! I cannot have oil of olay spf 15 for sensative skin any where on my face or my eyes breakout which lasts for a week with me treating with j&j natural head to toe wash on my whole face then dabbing on aquaphor with a warm wet wash cloth. Its very depressing time but it passes and my eyes are like new after because of the skin sloughing off LOL *alot of water proof mascaras also have spf but I have usually used them when i used sunscreen so I dunno if it contributes or not
You say you've been using the same moisturizer for years.  Surprisingly enough, that could be part of the problem.

Our immune system has to have "met" something before in order to form an allergic response to it.  You can't really be allergic to anything without having been exposed to it before.

Since allergy runs in your family, it couldn't hurt to try a new moisturizer, one that is totally bland, without any vitamins, plant extracts, sunblock, or perfume.  Some people have good results with Cetaphil or CeraVe, for example.

Here is a study highlighting the ten most common allergens in moisturizers:
http://www.jcadonline.com/moisturizer-allergy-diagnosis-and-management/
Hello fellow sufferers, I feel your pain!! I am stunned there are so many of us!!
I'm 28 and have had the same sort of thing for past three or four months, started off just itching in left eye then gradually the skin around the inner corner got rough and scaley, raised and red and the redness started to spread up my eyelid, more recently it has started to swell in the morning and stays pretty swollen throughout the day. This last week it has appeared in my right eye also, the scaling is not so bad but it swells all along the lash line and is very itchy and flakey, it also started to become red and flakey underneath the bottom lid too. I tried the hot compresses and cleaning with baby shampoo etc but no improvement. I thought it would go away but it has not, so I have just seen my dr today and she says it is eczema!! I am not totally convinced because of the swelling but she says that is just a blockage in the glands which she prescribed flucloxacillin for, i will update you on my findings with that but in the mean time for the last few days i have been applying aqueous cream (very cheap, available at all pharmacies) and the redness and flakey ness has greatly improved, my left eye looks almost normal. Also, Apparently, I have heard from several places that if you take one to two tea spoons of olive oil a day (gross i know) it does wonders for dry skin, eczema and various other dry skin conditions, you can also dab it on to the wrinkled areas which i also have, and it makes it appear less so. It must be the good stuff though - extra virgin, cold pressed, I'm trying Fellipo Berio, don't know if you guys have that in the states, I'm from uk.
Hope some of this is helpful to some of you, good luck!
To update my earlier post - the flucloxacillin has worked, my eyes are no longer swollen or red! So it must have been an infection. The skin does still itch and flake slightly but there is new soft skin appearing now so that's gotta be good!! As to what I said about the aqueous cream, don't use it! I stopped after reading a lot of research on line about it thinning the skin and as eyelids, especially inflamed ones are already very delicate, this is a bad idea. I have been using oatmeal paste - made at home, plain oatmeal and warm water, to soothe the itching and redness and also as a daily cleanser as it cleans the area without irritation and then applying the olive oil to the area and it is all working so very pleased! Hope some of you are having success also.
Thank you for that information- so like my condition.
I was told that my blepharitis was connected to a bacterial mite on the eyelid. Like others I tried baby shampoo which only made things worse. I have no wrinkling on the eyelid but eyes very itchy and red along the eyelash line which looks as if it has dandruff. Then I read how someone cured their blepharatis with honey. So I gave it a go. Put a tiny amount along lash line twice a day and woo hoo it worked.  
Gillian
I have a suspicion it might be eczema related to the scalp.   Try different shampoos and see if that helps.  Baby shampoo does not work for me.  The fragrance is not good.  I used Dessert Essence shampoo.  My Dad used to use a dandruff shampoo (stronger than head and shoulders).  Experiment with the shampoos and avoid hair sprays and other hair products for a while.  See if this helps.  In addition, try to avoid eye makeup for a little bit as your skin heals. Then you'll be able to go back to it.
I have started to buy "natural shampoos" with tea tree oil in them, I then add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bottle; this has seemed to help my itchy scalp. I don't doubt that it is all connected. I also had adult onset acne that one doctor believed was related to all the problems as well!
I USED to have the itchy, red, scaley eyelids. I posted on here a couple years ago and thought I should share my results in casse it could help others.
I have always had hayfever since a child. I am 47 now.
For the last 3 years my sypmptoms had progressed but only with my eyes/ eye lids.
Here is what WORKED for me...I now take 12 Claritn almost year round. I can get by with less in the winter here in MN.
I ONLY use Almay  eye shadow. (since its hypo-allergenic)
I have NOT had any issues for a little over a year now. Maybe this will help someone else out there!
opps, ^  I meant to say 12Hour Claritin.
Flucloxacillin is anti-fungal.  Also keep in mind that if you have a localized infection, that other problems can piggyback and complicate things.  (Meaning: you may have more than one infestation co-habitating.)  

This is why I had success: I attacked the problem from many different fronts.  

Do your research (after reading this ENTIRE forum post, from beginning to end) and treat the problem like it's fungal, bacterial and demodex overgrowth.  If you don't you're only attacking part of the problem. You may help in the short-term,. but in the long-term the symptoms may return.  

My solution:  Swab the eyelids and eyebrows with 3:2 mix of Castor Oil + Tea Tree Oil.  Do this for 3 days on, 2 days off.  Also, wash the hair and face with Nizoral shampoo, allowing it to rest on the affected area for several minutes before rinsing.  

Every time you feel that tingle on your skin (like a microscopic bug just crawled across your eyelash)... start the process over immediately.  

Eat lots of yogurt (and many brands) to keep the gut flora diverse.  This does contribute to overall health.  

Also remember that if you do suffer during different allergy seasons, these times will stress the body in such a way that your skin infection can return.  Take special care to maintain your regimen during this time.  

Finally, be aware that allergy meds can stress the liver.  If you tend to drink, beware of mixing time-released meds with alcohol.  This can stress the liver... which trickles down to other biological systems, effecting the body as a whole.    
Oops. I said anti-fungal.  I meant anti-bacterial.  
I had this problem that seemed to get worse during the fall and winter seasons. I actually tried a remedy from a blog that I was following to try and get some relief and it worked. I treated it as a yeast infection and put Monistat cream on my eyelids. At first it burned then flaked but it was getting better. My dermatologist then prescribed Cloderm cream which helped sooth it further and Protopic ointment. I only occasionally use these products as Fall arrives. Other than that I have been symptom free for 1 1/2 years.
i used eyes n mites lotion, tried few other things for itchy eyes, it turned out that  have demodex mites in my eyelashes so this lotion is helping s far. they say if you got the mites on your eyelids and eyelashes don't apply any antibiotics, it makes it worse. hope it help
A solution that has helped me ; if you use hair dye and rub your eyes afterwards (even up to a couple of days later) i got the same the same eye reaction. Do not use vaseline as that causes bags under the eyes and use a eye ointment ( i use optrex), and dont touch your eyes with your fingers , carry around a hankerchief and just dab the eyes.One more thing do not put moisturiser on your eyelids, the eye ointment worked for me use 3 times a day and my eyes cleared up within a week.  This works for me and only came back when i used the hair dye even then it cleared up thanks to the eye ointment. IT WORKS TRUST ME!
Yay!  yay!  I'm so glad I found this thread.  I've been dealing with this off and on for a year and a half.  The first bout I tried to wait out, which led to a full blowout on my face two weeks later.  My eyes started to swell shut, and my face blew up like a balloon with an oozy itchy rash.  I was the star of the ER that night.  I was told I had a massive staff infection, given anti-biotics which seemed to calm things down, only to have the symptoms come right back 4 days later.  Second trip to the ER was a drip IV of anti-biotic and diagnosed with ringworm.  Prescribed expensive creams that did nothing.  Third trip sent me from the ER to a dermatologist (after a 4 hour IV drip), and was told contact dermatitis.   I was given a shot of cortisone and sent on my way.

I sit here now, over a year and many episodes later.  Both eyelids itchy, right eyelid swollen, and the rash is returning to my face.  I narrowed it down to ... wine, mold, rats (in the chicken coop... grrr!), or the down comforter on the bed.  The one thing that I keep noticing that seems to be present is rain.  This last flare up started a day or two after a day of rain.  Yesterday day brought more rain and everything has worsened.  I'm going to go out on a limb here, and please excuse me if I offend or put off anyone, but since this seems to be a relatively new phenomenon (with in the last several years) could there be anything in the 'cloud seeding' compounds that the planes lay out that we could be collectively reacting to?  I spend a lot of time in the yard clearing brush and whatnot.  Just a thought.  Off to take another benadryl.  Sigh.  
Cloud seeding usually involves either silver nitrate or dry ice.   According to wikipedia, there have been a number of very detailed studies indicating that silver iodide is not very toxic (it's used as a wound dressing) unless you get a massive exposure, and the amount they use in cloud seeing is teeny.  As for dry ice, well, it's just carbon dioxide, which we produce whenever we exhale.

Anyhow, what you're describing is pretty clearly an allergy of some kind, rather than a reaction to a toxin.

The fact that it's much worse after rain strongly suggests an allergy to mold, and apparently you have chronic exposure to that because of a rural life style, what with chicken coops and brush clearing:  mold is present everywhere, especially in soil and on plants, and farming-type activities really put those spores into motion in the air.  Of course, a damp house and certain foods are bad news, also.

Here's a long and excellent article on the how-and-what of mold allergies, the symptoms and how to deal with them:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/mold-allergy

You may benefit from oral antihistimines before working outside (every single time), using a facial mask, and showering off immediately after outside work, as well as taking off and washing your dedicated  gardening clothes every day, and keeping them in a mud room or someplace that keeps the spores from getting into your living quarters.

The keys, though, are to limit exposure and control your environment as much as possible, and solving your problem may involve a major change in lifestyle, since you are clearly quite sensitive.
Hi all,

Its been about a year since I last posted, I've been meaning to do so for ages to be honest. Happily, oh so happily, I am now cured! Just as a recap: from summer 2011 I had really bad flaky, itchy, swollen and sometimes bright red eyelids almost always. It also spread to the bridge of my nose. I tried the following:

- Aquaphor (about 70% effective but I had to pile it on all the time)
- Rue Fennel tincture (no good for the eyelids but excellent for eye infections. Unfortunately Herb Pharm has discontinued it now)
- Lamisil (no effect)
- Tea tree (no effect)

I had started a yeast free diet, thinking that this was based on having a yeast overgrowth or something, but in the first few weeks I also ordered Mario Badescu Control Cream. I know this hasn't worked for everyone but hell yes it worked for me. Within two days my eyelids were perfect. PERFECT. As though it had never been there. I've never been more shocked - to be honest the creases of cracked dry skin under my eyes and on the lid had been so bad (even bleeding once or twice) that I thought the lines would never actually go completely, even if I found a 'cure'. I couldn't be happier! I used it religiously as a night eye cream for months, and now only if I feel the risk of it coming back - the only mild flare up I had was over the summer when I had been rubbing my eyes a lot due to allergies - it got a little flaky but the control cream took care of it again.

I don't know what it is about the Control Cream that works so well, but I wonder if it might be to do with the Carageenan in the ingredients? This seaweed is a microbicide. I don't know really - just throwing it out there.

I hope some of you can have the same relief! Best of luck!

I followed your lead and painted on the Selsun Blue. After about 3 days the lids swelled up like two balloons and I ran off to the eye doctor feeling pretty stupid. I've been told numerous times by eye doctors familiar with blepharitis that it is the "gift" that keeps on giving. I'm going back to my old regimen of Tobradex drops twice a day which seems to keep it under control, though sadly, it never goes away...
Also have you noticed how many people have recommended the Mario Cream? Very suspicious!
About the Mario Cream:  I haven't used the stuff, but if you do a web search for reviews, a lot of people (more than could likely be 'plants') actually seem to find it very helpful.   One caution overall should be that it contains Balsam Peru, a resin or sap that for some people is soothing or medicinal--but for others is a real allergen, as described here:

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/balsam-of-peru-allergy.html
My experience is slightly similar, in that the reaction crept up on me innocently until the morning I woke with my eyes swollen shut. I definitely have a reaction to product with Vitamin E (typically reads Tocopheral on ingredient list). That has been proven once again when I went for a facial and she must have forgotten and used a product with Vitamin E (usually she is very careful).

I have taken a close look at the ingredients in products, if Vitamin E can cause a reaction, then what about all those other ingredients that aren't as natural as Vitamin E? On a whim, I purchased the Wen Hair Care System by Chaz Dean a few months ago (I got suckered with the commercials), what I noticed was that my dandruff and itchy scalp happened to disappear--- didn't even realize it until I didn't use it for a few days and itchy scalp came back. So, I began to use it on dry patches behind my ear (they disappeared) and then I began to use it on my eyes (very very small amount). It seemed to work well and the puffiness, discoloration, dryness, and flakiness has subsided substantially.

Most recently I read an article about using castor oil and olive oil and coconut oil to wash my face (love PInterest!) and I have been doing that for about a week. I also started to use sugar and lemon scrub, and honey as a spot treatment for the cystic acne that persists on my chin. Crazy as all that seems, I have not used any face lotion, nor have I had to, and I don't have dry patches on my face or lids. I am going to assume that if you google some of that stuff or search it on Pinterest you will find information on what to use and how much. With the oil I only wash my face at night--- I don't even have to wash in the morning, no new zits have come out and cystic "underground" ones have moved to the surface. You do have to watch natural ingredients b/c you can form reactions to them--- as I get reactions to Vitamin E and I formed a reaction to Tea Tree Oil (used to be my go to for spot treatment). However, not to have to use a steroid cream on my eyes (the only thing that got rid off my itchy, puffiness) is huge in my book!
Good Luck!
I get the same problem & although not officially proven I think it might be to do with lack of sleep and stress. I have some mobility issues at the moment which at 45 was unexpected and stress me out plus not sleeping well due to pain. For me the problem seems better when I sleep better. Also if you're run down maybe some vitamins, that's my next thing to try. Good luck. X
I've had this problem for over 25 years,recently tried flaxseed oil from health shop tea spoon in morning and 1 tea spoon at night,as well as that i use simple night cream small layer rubbed on close eye lid before bed,wow! noticed a massive improvement ,almost gone,and eye don't feel dry and sore so keeping this going on a daily basis works!
I have the same problem for years.  When my eyelids are red and swollen it is so uncomfortable and looks awful.  It is draining and not fun to live with. First let me say, I have a lot of allergies and asthma, besides that I am pretty healthy and just turned 50.  I have tried everything. Changed shampoo, soaps, creams, laundry detergent and mirad of other things. I have increased water consumption and elimated from my diet any potential food that I thought might be the culprit. Do you know what really works? Predisone.  When my asthma flares and I am put on predisone my eyes are perfect.  The topical cream works too but the pill is even better... and that is also the bad news.  Who wants to take that stuff! My problem is even made worse by drinking.  I don't drink a lot so I have can definitely say when I consume alcohol, approx 1 1/2 days later my eyes will flare horribly. First it was wine (dropped that), then for a while it was fine, now even vodka causes the flare.  I have basically stopped drinking totally. As i have tried every other treatment, teabags, baby shampoo, allergy pills, you name it, I have tried it.  Now i am looking for a herbal predisone. I have added tumeric to my water (anti-inflamatory).  Has any one tried an herbal predisone or is there a herbal type predisone cream? This comment is for the people that have already tried everything else ever even suggested that might help.
cck83, your comment was by far one of the most helpful I've seen on this thread in quite some time!  People who draw connections over the course of long periods of time are the folks who will actually help figure out what the problem is!  

I have cc'd my bio-/botonist friend on this.  Please do not hesitate to provide updates!  
See my post from 12/31/12. I was in a similiar situation where the steroid cream worked great, but who wants to put steroids on there eye lids! And it comes back if I don't use it. Since I have been washing my face with oil and I use coconut cream for a moisturizer, and honey as a spot treatment (for acne). I have not one problem or anything close to a flare up!
Good luck, I know we are all different!
I have had swollen, scaly,itchy, wrinkled eyelids with the creases opening up and painfully scabbing. When I realized this was eczema, I remembered my two month old daughter having it years ago (all over her face). I went to the health food store and they recommended EPO (evening primrose oil - an essential fatty acid), calendula lotion and probiotics. I took the EPO and probiotics myself and she got the remedy through my breastmilk. It cleared up within days. So now, remembering this, I tried the EPO starting on Wednesday night (I used a super potency 1300mg - 117mg GLA -GammaLinolenic Acid w/ 949mg LA cis-Linoleic Acid), took it 3x a day for just 6 doses so far and the improvement is pretty remarkable - almost back to normal. Thought I'd share what worked for me. Good luck to everyone who is dealing with this.
Please if you want to consider using EPO as posted above check out the cautions from the medline website (esp if on anticoagulants or medications like anti-inflammatory pain relievers that may cause bleeding). Here is the link: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1006.html#Action
Please help ... Eye lid is driving me crazy!!!! Itchy, swollen, red eye lid comes goes away and comes back. I went to the opthamologist and he prescribed me drops and told me it was an eye allergy. At first my upper right eye lid was very dry and flaky with no itching. Then it gradually started to swell up, turn red, dry up and itch like crazy. I've never had this issue and its lasted a month already! I am not allergic to anything and have been using the same make up as I always have. I would put herbal moisteriser on it and it would go away after a couple of days. After it goes away I would apply make my make up lightly with foundation, powder , and mascara and I am fine the whole day until after I take off my make up with makeup remover tissue that I've been using for years and wash my face ...my eye lash line becomes very itchy at night and by the time I wake up my eye is swollen, red and itchy! It goes away after no use of makeup but comes back after I use mascara or anything around my right eye lid. I've never had make up allergies in my life!   It's driving me crazy and it been going on for a month now and ONLY my right eye, on and off  please help!
You say " I am not allergic to anything and have been using the same make up as I always," but the key to allergy is that your immune system absolutely must have had exposure to something beforehand to develop a reaction to it.  Therefore, something you have 'always used' is the most likely candidate to trigger a reaction.

You also say you have you have used "herbal moisteriser".  That's the thing:  Living plants--herbs--use their powerful, natural ingredients to repel pests.  They make a LOT of chemicals to deter bad things from eating or bothering them--and those are the very things likely to cause a reaction, because the plant has developed these compounds to discourage other things from eating them.

I'm so sorry, because it takes time, but it's necessary to go back through many, many posts here to figure out what your *particular* problem--your very own problem--is.

In the meantime, I'd suggest no makeup, no foundation, and no moisturizer beyond perhaps a little vaseline.  Cetaphil or something like that to wash your face at night.

But read what others have said and see if it could apply to your condition.

Just chiming in with an update: I've had NO RECURRANCE of symptoms in several months!  I reiterate my approach: treated it as if it were simultaneously allergy, demodex overgrowth AND either fungal or bacterial infection.

Like Achillea stated: read and re-read all the previous posts in this thread.  Be diligently methodical and logical while trusting your quiet intuition.  You can make sense of this!  
I would suggest not using anything around your eyes! what you describe is similar to the redness, flakiness, dryness, itchiness that I suffered. You can develop reactions to ingredients you have previously used. I would stop using things, let it clear up and then one by one work in your make up routine to identify which product works. Also, just b/c these symptoms go away for a few days or even a week doesn't mean its gone for good. I stopped using all products (I wash with olive oil and moisturize with coconut oil) and until I did this I the symptoms for over a year before I had to cut out everything.

Everyone has their own suggestions, so you will have to sift through them to figure out what works for you..... there are many suggestions! Good Luck.
How do you wash with olive oil?
http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

This is where I first read about it ( pinterest is awesome) I then googled it and learned more! I primarily use olive oil, and about once a month use olive and castor oil. The castor really draw zits and black heads out, but I don't want to use it daily. An important thing that some of the information doesn't include is that you should splash your face with cold water following the cleanse oil. After rubbing the oil you steam your face with a hot wash cloth to open pores, the cold water helps close the pores....
same issue staryed last winter.  again same time this winter.   I moved into abnew housw heaged with NG.  4  octors said contact dermititis.  Maybe menopause.  I just don,t know. It is yncomforable and looks horrible. bI get some relief from OTC eye ointment and eye drops with anahistiminw.
sorry for all the typos.  cell phone touch pad and tired.
I have the same symptoms for the last six months and cant figure it out. The only difference is that I figured out I am allergic to Polyester, found in almost all clothes. I simply have almost given up, I hve dry itchy red swollen eyelids and undereyes, and have tried all over the counter and th like. Ugh.
I have  very sore swollen eyes that itch like mad.I also have red dry skin round my forehead,on back of legs and arms. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it please
You are probably allergic to something. Those are the spots that would typically get me. For me it is Vitamin E (tocophoryl on an ingredient list), and tea tree oil. I would check lotions of bars of soaps that you use. I would cut out anything you use in those areas, one at a time, to see if it clears.
Thought I would post my experience.  A little over 2 weeks ago I also came down with itchy eyes...then the redness and swelling and scaling (sandpaper) came to follow.  Went to the dr who prescribed Tobrex..used the drops for 7 days and no make-up...cleared my eyes up, but 3 days after I stopped using the drops..my eyes flared back up again.  So I got on the internet and started searching..found this site and guess what I am not alone.  Read alot of the posts and this is what I did for the last 4 days and my eyes are 90% cleared of this mess.  With every treatment I washed my eyes with Johnson's baby head to toe wash morning and night.  First night I used monistat vag cream on my eyelids..next morning eyelids were more swollen..used it again that morning.  About 4 hours later used Burt's Bees soap bark & chamomile deep cleasing cream..on my eyelids..just put in on with a q-tip..this stuff has alot of the other things people have tried all in one bottle.  Used this cream 1 more time..then at bedtime.  Next morning eyes looked a little better...used cream again...waited about 4 hours and used the cream again.  Another 4-6 hours later used a baby wipe and removed any cream and mixed a 1000mg flaxseed oil capsule with tee tree oil..half and half (in a small cup) and put it on my eyelid with q-tip.  Used the same thing again at bedtime except I also used neosporin lip health as well.  Put the oils on first..and the applied the neosporin on top with q-tip and rubbed together.  That is all I'm doin now morning and night..I have some peeling and a little redness in the corner..but that's it.  Hope this helps somebody out.  Remember if you only have one eye infected treat both eyes, but use clean hands and q-tips..dont cross contaminate.  Also use a clean q-tip every time..once you touch your eye..throw it away and get a new one.  
Benzalkonium Chloride is the culprit!!

Thank you everyone for posting.  I've been suffering from the same symptoms which began with pink eye then progressed to the itchy, red, puffy upper and lower lids.  I'm anxious to try some of the suggested remedies.

Thanks to reading through the comments I'm 99% sure that my symptons are occurring because of the antibiotic drop I've been using because of the preservative Benzalkonium Chloride that is found in it.  My eye is having some sort of reaction to it.  The things we've been prescribed to help are actually making things worse because I bet many of them contain this ingredient.  
This is to those of who are posting about having mysterious ichy, swollen outbreaks around eyes... read this article: http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=1031297

The preservative is called methylisothiasolinone, or MI, and it's often combined with methylcholoroisothiasolinone, or MCI.
There's another thread about this you might want to read. Many of us have come to suspect it is not allergies after all. I had many allergy tests that came back negative. I'm convinced it's yeast. Tinactin may work for you. Very carefully applied to the lids with q-tip and not gotten in your eyes.
I was having success with mario badescu control cream for breakouts but I've run out of it and the company says they are 'reformulating' it.
I've heard coconut oil is good to eat and put on your face, having a natural anti-yeast ingredient. I use it for the eczema on my lids. I'm also trying tinactin for the first time and it seems to be responding.
Gillian, I have blepheritis in both eyes. It feels like something is in my eye,I get the mucus stuff in the inner and outer corners and at times feel like something is crawling along the eye lash. Also when I cry my tears are bubbly. My Doctor after a year of telling him the feeling in my eye said to use moist warm towels 5 minutes a couple times a day. That helps get the stuff in the corners but it comes right back. I have also had cataract surgery on May 28 and two vitrectomies November 6, 2011 and December 2011 to fix the hemorrhage. Cataract surgery didn't come out so well, as I have blurriness in the far left corner of my eye and am to hyperopic in that eye too. Loads of issues to deal with. Getting rid of the bleph would be great!

How is the honey working for you to date?
Thanks!
How is the regime coming on using the Tobramex? Have you gotten rid of the problem? I have the same issues and need help.
I have the same problem! My eyes have been red, swollen, and itchy for more than a month and now I noticed I am losing my eyelashes. I have goop in my eyes and have tried different lotions, face washes, and ointments. Nothing seems to help. I originally thought it was caused my a new face wash, but I stopped using that and I still have the problem. I am trying to get in to see my optometrist this week. If I can figure out what I have maybe it can help you figure out what you have.
Hopeful Post!
I have been following this thread for months now as I've been suffering from most of the same symptoms.
Here's my symptoms:
Itchy, burning, swollen upper eyelids. The upper bridge of my nose between my eyes, itches as well. Then when it would stop itching due to whatever drastic means I used (I tried apple cider vinegar, menthol, tea tree oil..etc) but I would be left with dry, stretched out feeling eyelids and wrinkles all over my eyes, between my eyes that would only be relieved by slathering Vaseline over them and not being able to wear ANY makeup.

My Dr "thought" I might be suffering from rosacea & gave me a perscription to clear up the itchy patches on my cheeks. The directions said to not use on eyes, but I did anyway because I was desperate. My Dr had no idea what was wrong with my eyelids (and even said that) and said if it didn't clear up on its own in a month or so, she'd try something else. (yeah...BIG help..*sigh*) The gel cleared up my cheek patches but didn't seem to clear up my eyes.

FINALLY TODAY after months, I bought some Neem oil. My eyelids had been cleared up for 2 whole days & the dreaded itch started back up. Then the upper lids started burning, so in desperation I dabbed on some Neem oil. IT STINKS to high Heaven & for the first 30 minutes, I just knew it wasn't going to work because the itching and burning persisted & I could feel the swelling beginning. After 30 minutes, however, I noticed the symptoms were sloooooooooooooowly going away.  I'm now 2 hours out from the inital symptoms are almost gone, the swelling went away as did the itch and the burning is gone from my right eyelid and barely hanging on on my left (off to put another dab on)

So my hopefulness is restored & I think I may have just found my salvation!! *crossing fingers*
There is RELIEF! I deeply feel everyone's pain, frustration, and discouragement with going to Drs and trying numerous treatments that don't seem to work other than to give temporary relief. I've been through it and all these same symptoms and I found permanent relief! I just want to suggest that you need to really really look deep because more than likely you are suffering from an allergy to a substance you are coming in contact with. Finding that substance can be very difficult and YOU have to be the one with the due diligence to find it. Patch tests and stick tests may not reveal it. It took me 15 years to find the cause, but I have been symptom free for 4 years now and symptoms return full force only when I am re-exposed to the allergen, but discontinuing exposure resolves it.

First let me go way back and mention that I had typical seasonal sinus allergy symptoms that came on 15 years ago (sneezing, runny nose, occasional itchy eyes). I live in FL so its not uncommon to develop pollen allergies, so I occasionally took over the counter allergy meds which seemed to give occasional relief. It wasn't until about 13 1/2 years later I started to suffer
from itchy, flaking, burning, swollen, red eyes and I had an occasional clear watery drainage from my right eye only. Soon after I started getting red, itchy patches on my arms, legs, behind my knees, sores on my scalp and red, itchy patches with blisters on my fingers, which also appeared on my arms and legs. It seemed to be spreading. These symptoms lasted 1 1/2 years.

I have sensitive skin, but I couldn't think of any new products I've started using or anything. My eyes were so bad that I was so embarrassed to go in public as it looked like I had been in a boxing match! Some days were much worse than others and it would periodically clear up only to return will full force. The eyes seemed to suffer the worst of all symptoms I endured.

I tried every home treatment you can think of, over the counter creams, and I went to dermatologists who only prescribed creams & ointments (no help to find the cause really) told me to stop wearing makeup and changed my soaps. Still only minimal relief.  I went to an allergist who suggested some possible causes which all seemed unlikely and a patch test found nothing. Again I was prescribed several creams, ointments,steroids, allergy meds, etc. All gave minimal temporary relief. These particular symptoms all lasted a year and a half, plus I had the sinus allergies off and on, but not bad anymore. These eye symptoms seemed to take over.

Left with no where else to turn for help, I stumbled upon the discovery on my own that my allergy was nail glue, or superglue! I had been wearing artificial nails for 15 years! sometimes professionally done and often times I'd do then myself. I stopped wearing them and my symptoms starting clearing! After several days all symptoms went away including my so called sinus allergies! I am now cured! If I put nails back on I start experiencing itchy eyes within a couple of hours.

Look deep people. It's an allergy. Thats why treatments only provide temporary relief. You just gotta find it and it's probably right in front of you. Just don't give up!
Couldn't agree more. Sorry you suffered for so long! My allergy is to Vitamin E (Tocophyl Acetate in the ingredient list). I recently used non-acetone nail polish remover, my fingers itched for a week.

When you have a problem with a product, I would suggest keeping the ingredient list for process of elimination. I had to go back years to think about the reactions I had and when I had them. It also helped my dry, itchy scalp by eliminating vitamin e, it is in A LOT of beauty products. I currently wash my face with olive oil and use cocnut oil as a moisturizer..... haven't had one eye breakout since I began almost a year ago.
Did you ever find out what is causing this?

I have the same symptoms.  Today, I woke up with my eyes so swollen; i've been icing them all day.  plus I have a rash around the lower part of my mouth.  

Please share your findings.

I go for a patch test in a week; after my ten days of steroids....

thanks
Almay eye shadow - moss green, brown, white - eyelids are burning, bright red, itchy - peeling, now swollen and droppy - aging rapidly. I don't understand how Almay can sell this product. I want money back to have my eyelids repaired - once they heal - if they do. I jjust bought diaper rash cream, Penaten, to see if that helps. Almay started this - years ago it was Christian Dior pink - took me a year to heal - used cortisone at one point. What a nightmare.
After about 2 weeks of really bad days and REALLY REALLY bad days, i could not take it anymore so i finally went in to see my dr. He assured me it was an allergic reaction. Might even be due to seasonal allergies. He suggested i see a dermatologist but in meantime suggested i take Benadryl or Claritin and get some allery relef eyedrops. He also suggested i lay off makeup and contacts and get some sun. I did so for two days and i also took the advice of someone who suggested cleaning with the red pack of Wet Ones and i am glad to say that for the first time in two terrible weeks i am itch free and i look 10000 x's better! I also put aquaphor to help moisturize. Thank you everyone for sharing whats worked for them and best of luck to all who are still suffering!
I have experienced the same thing you did.  Unfortunately it took me almost 20 years to experience relief.  I ordered the Control Cream in Dec 2012 and finally I felt cured.  I did need to put a tiny bit on my eyelids when I would feel that familiar tingle.  Unfortunately now I am out.  I scraped the last bit out of the jar last week and my eyelids are flaring up again.  The Control Cream is no longer available.  What are you using now?  Any ideas?
Having the red, swollen, itchy, burning, puffy eyelids. this is the third time. After reading many of the comments. made a list of things was or had been doing and things happening during breakout.  On all three episodes I had been reading a new paperback book. the only reason I remember this is because a I several sneezing marathons before my eyes starting swelling..
I have suffed with red, swollen, itchy, and painful eyelids for over 10 months.  I went to 7 different doctors.  Spent a fortune on medication and creams.  Spent another fortune on every home remedy I could find.  All to no avail.  
I was at my wits end until I bought the Bragg Organic Apple Cider vinegar and began using it twice a day.  I applied it directly on my eyelids for 10 or more seconds.  It burns like crazy!  However, 3 weeks later, I can report that my eyelids are back to normal!!!!  I can't believe the transformation.  I am in awe and shock!  I wish I coud post pictures on here.  I am in hopes that this post will help someone.  I prayed for a miracle.  I got it.  Best wishes to those who suffer with this nightmare!
this is classic salicylate intolerance, every symptom matches - i finally cured myself by first removing all salicylate rich foods from my diet for six months, then i addressed the gut issues that had caused it in the first place, i take zinc, magnesium, iodine and turmeric as well as glycine for liver support. I've been symptom free for six months and can now eat whatever i like
I thought I would chime in with my story to see if anyone might be in the same situation as me.

I have been a major sufferer of terrible allergies ever since I moved from CA to NYC 6 years ago and went to college....Runny noses all of the time that turn into colds that turn into sinus infections. A patch test revealed I was allergic to basically every tree and every grass in the state.  I also somehow developed an allergy to dogs and cats in the process, after growing up in a house with 10 + animals my whole life and no problems.  Now when I go to visit my folks I have to take a benadryl within 30 minutes of setting foot in their house or the corner of my eyes feel like they are on fire.  While in NYC we got a pure-bread Siberian cat...they have the lowest dander count of any cat out there.  No problems at all for my allergies except in the rare cases that i pet her just after she cleaned and touched my face shortly after.  Very rare.

2 years ago I moved back to California and we got a second Siberian cat.  Moving back to California completely removed by nasal allergies (no more sneezing and sniffles) but getting the second Siberian seems to have given me a strange allergic reaction.

I now have swollen red upper and lower eyelids.  They do not itch at all but they are very unsightly (the skin where my eyelashes attach to my eyelid are basically purple).  I know for sure the allergies are from the new cat but I can't seem to treat them.  Usually when I have an animal allergy it will go away within 30 minutes of removing myself from the allergy, but my eye lids are now permanent swollen.

The swelling seems to come and go, some days are worse and some days are better.  Sometimes I have a bad week and I start to develop what looks like a stye on one of my eyes that will rise and eventually fall.  Some days I work up with a lot of discharge (white and yellow) in the corner of my eyes or on my eyelashes.  

Things I have tried:

Eyelid scrubs and Pataday/Patanol make the situation much much worse.  I have sensitive skin so these products seems to irritate my skin even more.  Warm compresses do the same.  Strangely, cold water compresses seem to help the best but the relief is always temporary.  Warm water helps the least...something strange I have noticed is that when I take a hot shower my eyes start to itch either from the steam or the temperature.

Also washing my sheets every 5 days or so seems to briefly help.  By around day 5 I start to lay down to sleep and can just "feel" a strange allergen floating in the air and aggitating my skin (probably pet dander)

Hydrocortisone directly applied to my eyelids for a few days seems to help but the redness always reoccurs.  No eye drops work (Patanol, Pataday, Visine-A, Samasil) and make the irritation worse.  I just started trying Zatidor and can't tell if it is working, but at least it isn't irritating in the way the other drops were.

Getting rid of my cat is not an option so I am wondering if anyone here might have similiar history when you KNOW it is a pet allergy?

Should I try oral antibiotics to clear the inflammation?  Air filters?  Any other ideas?
well i am a male guys... and i got it too last night... and its been worse since using the bausch and lomb polymyxin b sulfate and trimethoprim ophthalmic . drops one drop per eye every 4 hours.. on first day but seems everytime i put the drops in it makes my eyelids under neath my eyes, get red and itcy... they said i had pink eye... i havent seen anyone said they had pink eye.. kinda weird.. since same symptoms as me... and i was thinking that the baby soap would be worse i would recoomend if i were u guys all u guys are all using the same baby soap and stuff.. just to rinse them out dont use any soaps... and try that... and compresses... but i hope mine gets bettter or it could be some illergic reaction that i could be having.. because iam illergic to sulfa... but the doctor knew that and i looked it up and this doesnt have sulfa but i hope i dont got a new allergy to this now... but we will see its only day one on it for the next 5 days.. but it feels like it gets worse... but ... ya... ... what do u guys think... wondering if i use the drops and if its ok to rinse my eyes under the running water in shower if it wouldnt stop the medicine from working... between those 4 hours...
any advice or does this help anyone?
???
My eyelids have been red and itchy on and off for a few years now.  This last time - it seemed like it was going on for at least a month!  I've tried everything!  It's just miserable!!  Well - MYSTERY SOLVED!!!  My bathroom is small and my daughter LOVES to take long hot showers.  She's suppose to put the fan on after her shower, but like most teenagers - she forgets 70% of the time.  So - mold grows on the perimeter of the ceiling.  I have to clean it with bleach.  It started growing about a month ago and I just never found the time to clean  it - so - it continued to grow.  Meanwhile - my eyes were getting worse!  Just miserable!  It occurred to me that perhaps I was allergic to mold.  I scrubbed that mold with 100% bleach yesterday - my eyelids instantly stopped itching!!  After my shower this morning - I'm happy to say that my eyelids are 99% better!!  yay!!   This may be what's bothering other people on this thread!  Look around and see if there's black mold growing in your house!!  Good luck to Everyone!  
It is now 2014, haven't seen anyone post for a long time! I pray that is because all of you found a cure for this devastating problem! As all. Of you have posted, I woke up one day and had racoon eyes, red swollen dry itchy skin around my eyes. First I went to an eye doctor who said my eyes were fine. Second was the emergency care center. I am on my 4th regimen of Prednisone. The prednisone clears it completely, then within 2-3 days after taking my last prednisone it flares.Of course by now everyone is aware the Mario cream was misrepresented, contained steroids and was taken off the market until reformulated. I am desperate! Has anyone gotten any definitive answers and a cure? I have read many sites with one that stated by a doctor that you might need low dose prednisone indefinitely. I also see in one post about liver problems. I am at the beginning of the blood worked doctor has ordered a long list of tests. I hope that everyone is well but also am praying someone is still following this issue and can share what finally helped them end this vicious cycle. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated!
Please try Toleraine Gentle cleanser by LaRoche-Posay to face and lids and gently rinse with tepid water patting dry; and follow with a product named Emuaid, applying a thin layer to the lids 2-3 times a day and at bedtime.   It relieved my same symptoms with immediate soothing and symptom free in a week.  Research them online and decide for yourself.
I wish you relief!!  suzern
Hi Rebecca,
Once I figured out that I my reaction was to Vitamin E (tocophal acetate in ingredient lists) my reactions went away. I would suggest that you wash, and moisturize with products that have minimal ingredients--- this may help you figure out what is causing the reaction. Until you figure that out, all the steroid cremes or pills will just mask the symptoms for a small amount of time. You can talk to your doctor about an allergy patch test as well that might help you figure out the reaction quicker..... I would be cautious about the steroid cremes and pill packs. Good luck!
Hello, I am new here. Thank you to everyone who has posted 800+ comments on this thread going back to 2007. This is a gold mine of info and I have literally spent a week reading through all of the comments whenever I have free time.

About four years ago,  in my mid- to late-40s I started having flaming red rash/hives on my face, neck and upper chest. At the time I was working as teacher in a classroom with a suspected mold issue so I chalked it up to mold allergy because it always happened on Friday afternoons, at the end of the work week and I figured the allergies got to me after five days straight of exposure to the mold. I also was going through an incredibly stressful time due to a foreclosure, so I figured stress was a trigger as well. The outbreaks only lasted a few hours and then went away as soon as my stress level went down and I got away from the mold.

The following year I moved to a different classroom and the outbreaks completely stopped. My financial stress level went way down, I met the man of my dreams and everything changed for the better in my life. We got married, I had no more stress, was happy at home, and everything was hunky dory. No more outbreaks.  

Then about a year ago, the outbreaks came back with a vengeance. In retrospect I think the triggers were menopause, and my stress level at work skyrocketed -- we had a change of administration and new policies that doubled my workload. I was working 70 hours a week on average in a very emotionally toxic environment. And I also stopped buying some of my natural products from Whole Foods, and saved money by buying generic soaps which were more harsh.

This time the outbreaks were far far worse than anything I'd ever experienced. They happened at random times --- Monday morning while getting ready for work, Saturday night while having cocktails, etc. Out of nowhere I would start to feel hot and flushed and tingly, then I would break out in a burning, itching, bright red rash on my upper eyelids, eyebrow areas, two spots on the apples of my cheeks, and two spots on my left and right jawline. Always on those same spots. At the same time I would get angry, hard, little itchy pustule-type bumps on the backs of my hands. Always in those exact same places. My eyelids would be raw, like hamburger. Very painful. It was as if the skin was peeling off of my face. I couldn't help scratching my hands sometimes, which would burst the pustules and then the backs of my hands would be covered with clear liquid tinged with blood that was oozing from the sores.

These episodes started happening to me on average once a month. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed ProTopic steroid ointment, and my primary care doctor who gave me a super strong antihistimine that put me to sleep for a day. Unfortunately these treated the symptoms but didn't solve the problem and I felt helpless and confused. So I continued to suffer.

Then a week ago I had my absolute worst outbreak yet. Saturday night I'm feeling fine, then all of a sudden start feeling a little itchy and weird. I take a Benadryl and go to bed. Wake up in the morning almost unable to open eyes -- they were swollen up like golf balls. Went to the bathroom mirror and almost didn't recognize myself. I'm covered with flaming red, itchy welts on face, eyelids and backs of hands. It was so bad that it looked like a chemical burn. It was painful to even touch my skin, it was so raw. I stayed at home for two days like a hermit, with sores on my face and hands. I took the super antihistimine, used organic coconut oil on my face, got on the internet, found this thread and started reading it from the beginning. Thank you to the person who posted the link to the Cosmetics Database website that rates products on a scale of 1 to 10 for allergens -- that was a god send!! http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/  I found out that my Revlon eye makeup was a "7" and the Neutrogena sunscreen I'd been using was a "9"! No wonder I was breaking out! The website has an app that I've loaded onto my iPhone -- when I go into stores now I can pick up products and scan the barcodes, and the database gives it a number from 1-10 so you can see immediately if it has known allergens. Amazing!!

As I reflected on the comments and suggestions here, I took notes and tried to put two and two together as to why this has been happening. I think in my case this is contact dermatitis -- it's not just my eyelids, but my hands. I read somewhere that those are two places on your body where the skin is the thinnest, so it's more vulnerable. I think my triggers were super stress at work, combined with menopause (hormone changes, dryer skin that is more vulnerable to allergens), and buying more harsh detergents, soaps and shampoos to save money.

So here is what I decided to do. As soon as I was able to go back in public, I went straight to Whole Foods, Target and Ulta for all new products. I'm using my smart phone app to scan the bar codes and am only getting things that rate 0-2 on the cosmetics database website.
* I got neem oil from Whole Foods and LOVE it -- it made my eyes feel better IMMEDIATELY after applying it.
* Omega 3 supplement and oil of oregano supplement several times daily with meals.
* Egyptian Magic cream. OMG. It feels like silk on my tender skin and I don't ever want to use another face cream again.
* Eliminate all sulfates and parabens from my makeup and household cleaning products. Here is a website I found where you can look up cleaning products: http://www.ewg.org/  Right now I'm using Ecos laundry detergent and Seventh Generation dryer sheets.
*Aubrey Organics sunscreen. They have a 20% discount on their website if you enter the promo code "junejuly" at checkout.
* Throwing out all of my Lancome and Estee Lauder makeup and replacing it with Physicians Formula (which is buy-one-get-one free at Target right now, and buy one get one half off at Ulta) and Stila.

* I've also stopped using Benadryl, which is only good for 4-6 hours; and switching to one 24-hour Claritin every evening, for maintenance. I'm going to stay on the Claritin for several months and if I don't have any more outbreaks, I'll stop using the Claritin and see what happens.

That's all for now. Hope this info helps and good luck to all of us!
I think I've cracked it. Well mine anyway. I'm using a combination of hot eye bag bought from amazon followed by john sons baby shampoo diluted and used with cotton wool. The. Aveena  eczema therapy treatment cream. In morning bathe eyelids while showering follow with the john sons baby routine then clarins eye contour cream. During the day am using blink eye drops and a boots eye wash bath. It works! Sounds a bit long winded but really worth it. Try it
I too have been suffering from red, itchy, swollen, dry, peeling, blotchy eyelids.  I do not have allergies and have not changed any soap or detergent, nail polish... anything! I have been suffering with this for a few months and i think it was triggered when i bought body wax and waxed my eye brows. Ever since then, I have had a dry patch. I thought it was eczema at first because I do have some on my thighs. But a few days ago, my condition escalated at a rapid pace. My eyes are now huge and swollen and bright red. I have tried eczema lotion, which burned. I have tried olive oil and coconut oil, which at least keeps it hydrated. I have tried aloe vera and that does soothe skin but dries it out more. I have tried vaseline which helps moisturize. I don't understand what this is!!!!! I thought it was a fungal infection. I mixed antifungal cream and hydrocortizone and applied that. Looked like it was working (everything does and then it just gets bad again). It was also spreading to the bridge of my nose and I have dry areas around my mouth and nose as well but idk if it's related. Basically... I've read my story on all of these forums for days now. I finally went to a doctor yesterday where I was diagnosed with contact dermatitis. Which as we all know, could mean anything. it's just a general diagnosis for bacterial infection on skin. But anyway, they also gave me a shot of steroids and a lot of the swelling and itchiness went down. I was prescribed an eye cream- tobradex which has antibiotic for bacterial infections and steroids in it. I am really really REALLY hoping that this works. I know that a lot of people suffer from this issue for months and sometimes years. If this cures it, I will post back and let you guys know. But seriously, I can't deal with this anymore. I talk and work with people all day long and it is interfering with my job because I am so self conscious on how I look. I know I look bad. it's awful!!!!
I have had the itchy swollen eyes and places that looks like hives break out on me and allot of what you guys have. I had went to my reg md, eye dr, and gynecologist.  After a year of dr to dr I finally got into a dermatologist.  He first did steroid shots that helped, but when they started to wear off the itching would start up again.  He did a weeks worth of allergy testing on me and found out that I am allergic to parabens.  The paraben reaction I am having is causing me to have contact dermatitis.  The bad thing...parabens are in everything..even food and medicines.  He told me to only buy paraben free products.  He said if it doesn't say paraben free do not use it.  He said that they do not have to list that the product contains parabens, and that it is not against the law for them to use parabens and not list it on the bottle or label.  I have switched to paraben free and so far so good, but I am talking everything I use.  Make up, lotions, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, baby wipes, chap stick, hand sanitizer...I think you get the idea.  If you don't want to make the change right off...I couldn't hurt to go get tested.  I never thought in 100 years that my make up had used for years was causing the reaction on my face everytime I used it.  I was allergic to parabens and I was putting them on my face and then wondering why I was breaking out.  Then I would use some kind of ointment or something to treat it, and guess what, more parabens.  It was crazy...I believe I have always had this condition since childhood, and I feel like my body finally had enough.  Or without knowing it I used toooo many paraben products or medications and overloaded my body when I was already allergic.  I don't know just my thought, and I hope I am on the right track of clearing this up for good. I Hope this can help somebody out, because I know how frustrating this can be, and its really nice to finally have some answers.
I just put a post about parabens, and needless to say they are in everything.  Just thought I would let you know.  I am still in the process of having to change everything over to paraben free.  It's going to be a long process.
I just wanted to post an update. The tobradex cleared up all redness, dryness everything within 24 hours. I was told to use it for a week so I am still putting it on 2x a day. I am worried whatever i am allergic to will cause a flareup once I stop applying this medicine. But we shall see. If it gets bad again, I am going to go to a dermatologist. I guess I could be allergic to something ive been using for years. anything is possible. Just wanted to let you guys know that tobradex works.
Hi ,
I have posted a few times here.... so I won't go in to detail, but my trigger is Vitamin E (also known as Tocopheral acetate in ingredient lists). This is also in many, many products. Once I eliminated it from my skin care regimen, I haven't had a problem since and I have learned what color my eyelids should really look.

I also have a reaction to something in whitening tooth pastes. I haven't quite figured out the exact ingredient that triggers a reaction, but I was visiting my mom for a few days and noticed that the tiny rash on the corners of my mouth disappeared and I linked it to the toothpaste b/c it was the only product I wasn't  using of mine. So, I just started using non-whitening toothpaste.

I had a new esthetician for a facial that i got a few months ago and she didn't read my chart and she used a product with Vitamin E in it and my eyes began to itch like crazy.... i went home and washed my face and the reaction did not last more than 24 hours. So, my biggest advice is spend the time to figure out what is causing the reaction versus treating it with steroids--- the problem will just continue to resurface..... you may need the steroids to get you over the hump and onto feeling better, but then I wouldn't go back to using the same products.
Amen, sister!!!  =)
Viewing 801-896 comments: