itchy red swollen eyelids,,,not Blepharitis - please help me!!!!
here i go....so for the last 6 months i have had itchy eyelids...my eye doctor told me it was due to mild allergies and prescribed eye drops which didnt help in the least so i turned to over the counter allergy medicine which hasn't helped either (so i dont think it's allergies) and in the last 3 weeks not only are my eyelids itchy but when i wake up in the morning my upper eye lids are bright red and swelled up so bad that its embarassing!!!! i have switched makeup brands, stopped wearing makeup all together, changed pillowcases religiously, done the compresses, used mild baby shampoo on my eyes to clean them now, i take my vitamins, gone to the dermatologist who again prescribed more allergy medication (hasnt worked) went to an Ophthalmologist who said he didnt think it wasnt blepharitis but really wasnt sure what was going on so he prescribed me bousch & lombs neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment USP to apply to my eyelids which if anything in the last 4 days of using it has actually caused the swelled upper part of my eyelids to burn...typically the swelling goes down thru the day but by the time night hits theyre back to being all swelled up again...im 25 and done as much research as i can...this is literally killing me...(and i hate not wearing makeup!!!) please oh please if you have any ideas of what i may be doing wrong or what i can do to help my poor eyes let me know!!! anything will help at this point!
thanks
~~k~~
I forgot to mention because the eye consultant at Shotley Bridge Hospital was clueless and arrogant, my eyes got so bad that by the time i got to Sunderland eye hospital they also had to put me on antibiotics. Seems odd but i had to take these once a day for months.
The newest and most successful product to keep blepharitis under control is TherTears SterLid which both removeds the oil and debris but also is antibacterial. It is over the counter, available on the internet. (disclaimer-I have no financial interest in this product). Works better than baby shampoo.

JCH IIIMD
I am 26 and have the same eye lid swelling that ALWAYS occurs in the morning upon waking up.  Mine do not itch though and everyone else seems to have the swollen redness along with the itching.  It always involves my top and lower eyelids and always both eyes.  I too have been to dermatologists and allergists (was prescribed allergy meds but he reallly could not tell me anything other than to keep a log of what happened or what I ate or came into contact with, etc)  My dermatologist could only tell me what to do to provide relief and she suggested warm milk on the affected areas.  I am writing this now with swollen eye lids and this is the first time in 2 years that it has come back.  It used to happen to me more frequently but that was 2-4 years ago.  I literally look like I've been in a boxing match and it makes getting out of bed near impossible.  I too have washed the sheets religiously, avoided harsh makeup and chemicals, tried to link this to some type of food allergy--and I can't come up with anything!  I will say that yesterday for the first time in a long time I began using the topical cream DUAC prescribed by my Dermatologist for acne.  It is 1% clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide, and as I write this it is forefront on my mind that this stuff may be the cause (there has to be an obvious link between my sudden reoccurrance and my recent use of this cream--yesterday).  Perhaps some of the ingredients in this stuff are in something you use?  Please let me know if any of this sounds familiar to you guys or if you might be able to shed some light on this.  
See an ophthalmologist Eye MD physician. Find one at www.aao.org.  Take in some pictures of your lids when badly swollen.
JCH III MD
I too have red and irritated eye lids,they are really itchy,they are watering like a faucet,they hurt, I also have really dry skin,it scalely and red,  I also have a white pimple on the edge of my top eyelid , below my upper lid , I wear contacts,which i have taken out and I also have eczema. I have tried eczema cream, many other creams, I have made weak tea and used a eye cup to flush my eyes., and compresses.  I don't know what else to do,it's driving me crazy and i am so itchy I'm gonna dive my eyes out!! I live way up north,quite a ways away from specialty doctors, can anyone give  me a solution or any help!!!  Thanks
jana63
hi
its amazing that so many people have the same thing and no one knows what it could be.....about a year ago i started getting readdly red eyelids, that would swell up in the morning so much sometimes i cd not see, the doc gave me anthistamines and steroids. they calmed them down a bit only, then i started to get redness under the eyes and swollen under the eyes in the morning with deep eye wrinkles, they come and go and i have no idea what to do, ive tried steroids, all the creams, changing my makeup, not wearing contacts, and nothing...so i tried cutting out red chillies, chocolate and eggs, the last 2 days i had chillies and chocolate and it seems like it cd be back, so if i am on to something with it being a food allergy shall let you all know....meantime any ideas forme? things like spirulina and goldenseal helped, though stress doesnt
I can't believe this either. I have had the same symptoms (red swollen eyelids, both top and bottom, red swelling on the skin to the outside of the eyes, flakey, dry itchy too) for about 5 weeks. I thought it was becuase I am newly pregnant (hormones?) - have tried the baby soap and have been not wearing makeup, washed all my makeup brushes, changed pillow case more often and nothing is helping. However, Aveeno HAND cream does help with the dryness and itching a bit, but it does not cure it. I am going to keep coming back to see if any of you find the answer. It is awful and sure doesn't look nice!
---------------------
I too am having the same problems, red-itchy RIGHT eyelid worse in the morning when I wake up and sometimes at night before bed.  My right eye is often swollen when I wake up and takes a while to go back down  during the day.  Sometimes my eye will seem like it's getting better but then gets really dry skin and begins to peel. My left eye gets itchy only on the upper-half, never swells or gets red. I don't know what to do, I've tried a lot of different treatments, baby soap, etc. The most recent symptom has been that my right eye has been twitching! I need help! I'm worried if I go to the doctor I won't get good results like many people on here... Thanks for the help!
----------------
I am 58 and have recently developed they red, swollen, painful eyelids. After 4 visists to doctors, no one has any answers. I have always been senestive to different agents, but never been disgnosed with allergies
(seems my symptoms to bee stings =, intolerance to antibiotics, & rashes have never been a "real allergy, so doctors don't take take them seriously) I have a good case of ADHD - and I think that diagnosis brings on some wierd conditions that doctors are puzzled with. I also wonder about all the chemicals our foods are treated with, could our problems come from there? anybody?
------
Always reassuring to hear of others with the same problem (though less so to hear that there are no obvious cures!). I am 55.  Both my upper eyelids are affected.  Have had the problem for 5 or 6 years. It is exacerbated by sweat (eg when in high temperatures or during/after a work out at the gym).I feel that eye make up (even the highest qaulity for sensitive eyes etc)  is the root of the problem**. Have never actually consulted a doctor about the problem but am about to do so because it seems to be happening more frequently.

** Let's do out own little survey!  Any male (non-make up wearing) sufferers out there? Any female sufferers who do not wear eye make up?

You may like to TRY the following (which usually clears up my problem in two or three days):
Buy 'Simple Eye Ointment' from a pharmacy.
Do NOT wear eye make up (sorry! I know it is dreadful to face the world looking naked and raw!).
Keep your eyes really clean, bather often.  
Apply ointment.
Keep fingers madly crossed.

-
I've been suffering with sore eyelids for some years.  The symptoms of blepharitis don't strike a chord with me.  My eyes are certainly itchy, mainly on the upper eyelids, with the redness sometimes extending to the skin on my face by the tear ducts.

As I'm a man, external factors like make up are not a factor, nor are contacts.  My eyeballs themselves feel fine.  I notice that when running, sweat is sometimes highly irritant and causes my skin to really burn.  I would say my skin has a tendency to dryness, with very mild eczema.

I think this is behind the root cause of my eyelid problem (rather than any blocking of oil secretion ducts around the eyelids as with blepharitis.  I read the following web page which had some useful information about dry skin, particularly the issue about a lack of specific nutrients.  I'd prefer to think that the cure for my problems would not be by putting more chemicals on my face, but by putting better nutrienmts inside my body, creating the conditions for it to heal itself.  

My only reason for posting this is that this itchiness problem can seem soul destroying, so maybe there is an alternative line of possibilities to investigate.... best wishes to you all.
http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/beautiful_skin_from_the_inside_out
-b
hi,

I also have been having the same problem... never had a problem before until mine started last may when i thought i was having a reaction to the chlorine at the pool we were going to...my eye would get really bad and because of the swelling i would look like i was punched out and my eye was really, really, red......

I too went to an eye dr - spent $60 on my copays and another $80 on my "medicine" and "follow up" medicine...  and i don't believe it did anything... he said i had blepharitis... but of course my flare up was gone by the time i could get into see him...i think blepharitis is a blanket diagnosis when they don't know what is going on... it's like telling me I have a cold... thanks for nothing...

Since then I have had numerous flare-ups...  and I have tried different things... one thing is for sure...baby shampoo did absolutely nothing but sting.... i have recently tried something on my own and i may have found a partial solution.....

i went out and bought 2 things...  eucerin original moisturizing creme and Olay age defying revitalizing eye gel (it's a little tub .5 oz.) You can get both at walgreen's .  The eucerin is the 2 oz tube and runs about $5 (it is the super thick one) and the eye gel is $10 9 (a friend of mine recommended this as she was having the same problem).  I have been using them daily or almost daily on the one eye where I was having the problems as well as the other eye as a precaution, and it seems to be keeping it at bay.    for example... this morning i woke up with the usual red eye that usually accompanies the horrible swelling of my eye and all I have is the red eye and not the swelling...  and granted the red eye is no walk in the park, but at least i can put the refresh liquidgel eye drops - the really thick ones - and that alleviates some of the irritation...

And to answer one of the posters above, I do not wear eye make-up...  at least we know we aren't alone...  it's just very frustrating that there are so many people out there and no one knows what is causing it...

i hope this helps... :)

-
I also have these exact symptoms. Itchy, swollen and burning upper eyelids - much worse in the morning, gradually worsening for a week or two, then fading away and leaving me with very dry and scaly eyelids. The left one is a bit worse, but both are affected.

Began about 3 years ago - sometimes I'll go several months without a flareup, though my eyelids always seem tender even then. Lately they've been much worse, with hardly any break in between irritation. I'm a guy, don't wear makeup or apply anything to the lids, don't really have any history of allergies (skin or otherwise). I've tried to keep track of what environmental or food factors coincide with a flareup and have found no patterns at all. I do wear contacts, but found no improvement after wearing only glasses for a while.

I'm uninsured and don't want to spend the money for a doctor to misdiagnose me, which appears to've happened to many of you. Other internet folks have suggested blepharitis, which seems to be a catchall for unusual eyelid problems. And others have said might be candida, which seems like even more of a catchall. Very frustrating.

Besides the constant burning and itching, I look like ****. After reading all these comments I'm wondering how many people out there are suffering from the exact same symptoms and are not getting any accurate help from doctors...
-