itchy red swollen eyelids,,,not Blepharitis - please help me!!!!
here i go....so for the last 6 months i have had itchy eyelids...my eye doctor told me it was due to mild allergies and prescribed eye drops which didnt help in the least so i turned to over the counter allergy medicine which hasn't helped either (so i dont think it's allergies) and in the last 3 weeks not only are my eyelids itchy but when i wake up in the morning my upper eye lids are bright red and swelled up so bad that its embarassing!!!! i have switched makeup brands, stopped wearing makeup all together, changed pillowcases religiously, done the compresses, used mild baby shampoo on my eyes to clean them now, i take my vitamins, gone to the dermatologist who again prescribed more allergy medication (hasnt worked) went to an Ophthalmologist who said he didnt think it wasnt blepharitis but really wasnt sure what was going on so he prescribed me bousch & lombs neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment USP to apply to my eyelids which if anything in the last 4 days of using it has actually caused the swelled upper part of my eyelids to burn...typically the swelling goes down thru the day but by the time night hits theyre back to being all swelled up again...im 25 and done as much research as i can...this is literally killing me...(and i hate not wearing makeup!!!) please oh please if you have any ideas of what i may be doing wrong or what i can do to help my poor eyes let me know!!! anything will help at this point!
thanks
~~k~~
Hi!  I'm the one who figured out the neem. *takes a bow* :D  It seems that everyone here has a different trigger to the problem but I think it's safe to say that most are caused by an allergic reaction.  Why it only affects the eye lids is a mystery since many do not wear make up which could be a cause. Some may have a fungal problem and some may have a mite problem *shudders*  The biggest problem is that we get no relief from our doctors who only prescribe anti inflammatories (topical steroids) which do nothing to resolve the problem and add to a bigger problem down the line.

My advice:  Do NOT use a wrinkle cream!  They contain all kinds of ingredients to help exfoliate (retionoids, AHA/BHA acids....) and chances are great that you can not tolerate them.  They will burn your lids!! Make it worse.

You're 24 so IMO you really don't need them.  The wrinkling you're experiencing is an inflammation, not due to aging skin.  However, if your lids continue to be inflamed and you use steroids to relieve the information, you could end up like me with permanently saggy, wrinkled lids.  I'm going to be 50 so some of my wrinkling is due to age but a great deal is due to my lid problems, the stretching and steroids.

Find a emollient balm or cream that you can tolerate and use it instead of a "wrinkle cream".  You can simply use your facial moisturizer on your eyes IF this wasn't what caused the problem in the first place.  Can you tell me what your skin regimen is?  Makeup?  Some mineral makeup can cause a flareup.  I can not use Bare Minerals but can use Everyday Minerals with no problem.

Again, I just found EGYPTIAN MAGIC (balm) and I'm LOVING IT!  It is very greasy but I slap that on my lids at night, and dab it on lightly during the day and I can honestly say that this is working BETTER then NEEM for me right now.  I've  just gone back to using RENOVA (retinoid) on my face which I could no do for almost 2 years because of the problem on my lids.This week I cautiously put it on my lower lids and layered it with the EM with no problem at all!!!

Egyptian Magic is sold at Whole foods as well and I have replaced using my Dr. H eye balm with it.  It about $32 for a giant tub that will last forever!

Good luck!

Hi TooTired --thanks for the advice.  I picked up a tub of Egyptian Magic today at Whole Foods and test driving it now.  I have had a flare up and am 99.9% convinced that its the Differin that is a trigger.  I put a spot on my forehead and blammo--huge eye flare-up the next day.

A few questions--

Do you use the Egyptian Magic with or without Neem oil?

Do you find that once you are healed you are able to go without any neem or Egyptian Magic for a period of days?

Thanks again!  Bye!  Creative123
Hi! I have replaced using Dr. H eye balm which contains neem with the EM.  Honestly, yesterday was the first day that I could not find a piece of peeling skin on my lids (yay!) so I don't dare  try to go a day without using anything, yet.  I probably won't ever stop using it at night but I will look to replace EM during the day as it I would really like to be able to wear some makeup on my eyes other than mascara and liner, which have been the only things I can currently use and both the Dr H and the EM are too greasy to hold makeup.

When you have time I suggest that you visit the "skin care board" at this site "MakeupAlley" and ask about a substitute for your Differin if you continue to have problems with it.  These ladies are incredibly skin care wise and helpful.  Also, you will find the product reviews  enormously helpful.  I never put a thing on my face or body without checking here first.

http://www.makeupalley.com/

Good luck!  I really hope that you get some relief from this awful problem.  Please let us know how the EM worked for you.
Here are the MakeupAlley reviews for Egyptian Magic:
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=84453/Egyptian_Magic_Healing_Cream/Unlisted_Brand/Skincare_-_Body
I too have swollen, red, itchy and peeling eyelids (upper).  They started out by peeling, then little by little they began to swell and itch.  This morning they are oozing a little.  A friend of mine is a dermatologist, so I called his office and will be getting in to see him this afternoon. It usually takes around 6 months to get in, so I feel pretty fortunate.  I hope he is able to tell me something.  This has been going on for about 3 months. I am very interested in your discoveries of NEEM and the Egyptian Magic.  I will post what the Dr. says this afternoon.
I had  severe itching eyelid . From the eyelash line all the way to my eyebrow. I would wake at night , the itching was so bad. So i dug through my box of creams and looked at Vagisil hmmm, for itching. The ingrediants are Benzocaine and Recosin? Anyway, i tried it and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited. The redness went away the rough skin is getting softer, the itching is gone. Of course i kept it away from my eyeball and just dabbed a little a couple times a day. Not sure if this will work for everyone but its worth a try!
Natalie
Thanks so much on the info!! Also for the tip about mineral make up!! I do use Bare Essentials... I will be SO upset if that's the problem because I REALLY love it... I don't think it's the problem for me because I used it all throughout this process - I just stopped using my eye liner - I never used eye shadow (hardly ever - my eyes are naturally colored on my eyelids so I just don't need it) so I just stopped using my black eye-liner (I only use it on my lower lids but I've recently started putting it on the inner line of my lid closest to the eyeball. I had not used it at all since this all started and when I started using NEEM and everything got better (OH, I use NEEM lotion on my eczema as well and LOVE IT - it works so well - so thanks for that too). Anyway, after it got better and even stopped peeling mostly I used my NEW hypo-allergenic eye liner on the inner part of my lids and BOOM next day I had a flare up... Now, the only thing to keep me from thinking that the WAY I am using the make-up might be problem is that my skin regime (as far as removing make-up) has ALWAYS been - and be aware that I've ALWAYS had perfect skin (I know people will hate me for this) but even through my puberty years I never had zits, I hardly ever get them now, and the only thing I do/did to keep my skin perfect was exfoliate at night then use Vaseline intensive care lotion - that's it - I didn't wash with soap and water (except in the shower sometimes) and I would just wet a towel and kind of exfoliate off all my dead skin/make-up and put on lotion. It always worked. NOW, since this **** started I have not been able to do that process on my eye (it's ONLY my right eye - lefty has remained un-affected this whole time) so when I put that eye liner on my inner lower lid, I thought, I am back to normal now - I can do my exfoliating as normal ---- well maybe not... I do not know if it was the rubbing or the actual eye make up that did it... but I am SUPER upset now. My eye was PERFECT on Sunday and now its ****. I had to take off yesterday because it was so swollen (and I was so upset). I just wanted to give you a little more info and say THANK YOU AGAIN - I think I will go get some Egyptian Magic tonight - it sounds wonderful. Please let me know any more info you think would help me - I am SO upset over this. I really hope the wrinkles go away as I look like a lop-sided freak with one eye all messed up looking and the other is perfect. Thank you so much again!!
Creative:  Sorry, my previous post was meant to answer some of your questions re:Differin

kkrocks: 1st,@#$(*&^$%#%*#!  Damn you and your fab skin!!  :D  You're one luck gal!
The only other advice I would have is to find a more gentler to remove your eye makeup right now. I have found that ANY rubbing will cause a flareup on my lids.  A washcloth would produce horrible results on mine.  If you don't want to use soap and water (I use L'Occitane Honey Bee bars) then I would suggest Huggies non scented, hypo-allergenic baby wipes.  GENTLY.  Maybe put a bit of EM on before your remove your makeup with the wipes to give a bit more slip so that there is less tugging.

I hope everyone has a less irritated eyes and great day!
Thanks Too Tired--no worries about the mix-up.  I really like the egyptian magic--it works without the smell of Neem.  It  work just as quickly as Neem OR steroids!!  I'm amazed!  Thanks for the rec to makeupalley--I'm actually familiar with the site and find their help invaluable.  Interesting that the makeup reviews say that egyptian magic helps with acne--I dabbed some on a spot that was rising up and it's flattened and disappearing.  Maybe I won't need differin (I'm not getting any allergic reaction to Avene's retinoids so I'll stick with that for a while).  The thing that I really like about egyptian magic is that it is all-natural and very light.  Now that I know that long-term topical steroids can cause problems, I'd far far far prefer to stay away for them all together.

KKrocks--I'm so sorry you have another flareup.  Believe me, I feel for you.  I'm wondering if it is not the eyeliner because one eye has no reaction.  On removing makeup, I've been able to use Shu Uemera's oil cleanser without any problem.  I don't need to rub, it takes all mascara and everything off.  You put it on a dry face, gently massage it into mascara--I can leave it on for a bit if I'm wearing something stubborn, then rinse with water.  There are other oil cleanser's out there, but I've been using Shu's for years so I stayed with that.  It doesn't cause acne, it actually is very effective for clearing out pores.

Have a good day! :)
tootired - thanks so much... it MUST be the rubbing :( oh well, I suppose I can deal with using soap and water - I might try the baby wipes or the oil that creative123 suggested. My eye is better today, it was only a little puffy today - it's going through the same process as before when I got it to go away so I am happy for that. I haven't been able to get any EM yet but I will try to get it today. It's so hard not to itch/rub my eyes!! GRRR

creative - thank you!! I agree it must not be the make-up at this point because, yes, my right eye (other than some itchiness) has remained unaffected. Thanks for the tip on the Shu Uemera's oil cleanser, I might give it a try - I just HATE washing my face with soap, it dries my face out more than I'm used to so perhaps an oil-based cleanser is a good idea for me.

I just can't believe how much higher maintenance this whole ordeal has made me. I used to just use water and a towel and some lotion... now I've got product out the wazoo and I'm always in the bathroom forever trying to take care of my eye :( so depressing!! But y'all have truly helped me, I would rather be high maintenance at this point than have to live with waking up to a swollen eye-lid every morning... *sigh*

We should make up a name for our affliction - since it seems we know more about it than any doctors thus far... we should get to name it!! (Just a thought)

Thanks again!!
I wish I knew what this was! then we could definitely pick a name.  After talking with doctors, I think mine is a combination similar to that described by another poster on this thread--I moved to a super dry weather and developed a sensitivity to Differin.  When I was misdiagnosed with Bleph, I did the opposite of what I needed to do.  Instead of moisturizing, I was scrubbing with baby shampoo which is VERY drying.  So the irritation continued for months and the skin didn't heal.  I was also using a topical antibiotic, which was in an alcohol base---again, alcohol is very drying.  

After speaking with two more doctors (and reading up on things), I'm trying to focus on two things:  1)  stop contact with the irritant;   and 2)  heal the skin from the last flare-up (realizing that this could take weeks or months, using Egyptian Magic or Neem, rather than steroids).  I hope I've isolated the irritant.  That is the most frustrating part -- not knowing if what I am doing will prevent flare-ups in the future.  

I don't think that my condition is due to any internal problem that scary internet sites refer to--the ophthalmologist was convinced it was a contact allergy.  *crossing my fingers*  It's hard to be patient!  My very best to all of you!!
Stay strong!! I feel the exact same way. I am thankful that the NEEM and EM make it a lot easier/faster to rid my eye of the swelling but the healing process takes FOREVER. My eyes are both really itchy still and I wear my glasses everyday in hopes of covering up my bad eye :( but this also causes gross flakes from my eye to get on my glasses - EMBARRASSING!!

I think if I had to name it, because I'm pretty sure mine is an allergy to something as well (and it seems like the majority of people on here are having similar allergic reactions), I would call it...  Palpebral Hypersensitivity ^_^ I am so technical haha!! Really just means having super-overly-sensitive eyelids *sigh*

I hope everyone has an itch/swell-free weekend!!
Ok.  I have found what seems like a solution for me at least that I will pass on.  First I put on Ponds washable makeup remover.  Wash off and then clean with bar soap (I use Zest).  Then you can use the Johnson's baby wash.  The crucial part of washing is to make sure you get your lashes really clean.  The baby soap alone will not do it but it will put moisturizers on your skin after all of the cleaning.  After the shower use a mild (no petrolatum) lotion.  Then makeup after the lotion dries.
I keep white vinegar in the shower as well and periodically rinse hair and body with vinegar and water.  It is a natural disenfectent and makes sure all of the soap is gone.  Great for sunburns as well (stings like heck at first and then no more burn).
Let me know how you do.
Same problem here.  Now second time during the past year!  What is this?  Both eyelids started itching, then burning, now are brioght red and swollen.  All wrinkly and puffy.  I look like I aged 20 years overnight! Aghhhh! No changes in makeup or moisturizers or food or climate...so what casues this?  How to prevent it?
1. Get some Neem and get it fast!

2. I've noticed a couple things... Egyptian Magic (EM) works WONDERS on my upper eyelids but when I use it on my lower lids they still puff a bit in the morning (not a full-on swell) but puffier than when I use Neem oil. The way I got mine to stop swelling the fastest was: I used Neem oil and EM at night (EM on upper, Neem on lower) then Neem lotion only on my lower lids during the day and  no eye liner -- no eye liner was key for me because it just causes a lot less contact with your eyes in general - less washing less touching.

3. Find the irritant... it's still there somewhere if it's happening - I thought my all-organic no-fragrance soap would do the trick... nope!! I had to get completely glycerin soap (the most bare-bones soap ever). And my eye did get better while I was still using the irritant soap so it's tricky!!

4. Keep hydrated - I use lotion SO much more now than I used to - I used to use it everyday at least once a day. Now I use like 2-3 times - in the morning, during lunch, and before bed... keeping the flakes moisturized really helps them heal - especially the upper lids.

5. Are you stressed? I think stress might have worn me down a couple times and made my swelling/itching/etc worse.

6. TEST one thing at a time. I re-introduced eye liner last Friday - because I hate dealing with the swelling in the morning before work... so Saturday I was not swollen and SO HAPPY. This Friday and I am going to re-introduce my FULL eye make-up that I used to wear and see how it turns out on Saturday. *finger's crossed*

7. Don't get upset over set-backs! I only had my one eye swelling for the longest time and I got it to stop... then it swelled again and I was upset... Then... my other eye started swelling for the first time and I was ready to just give up... but I kept with my regimen - do it EVERY DAY... it's the only way - you can't slack off - and it WILL GET BETTER. Of course all of this maintenance weans over time - now I only use Neem oil and EM at night no Neem lotion during the day - and I don't have to moisturize my upper lids more than 1-2 times per day - it eventually heals and goes back to almost normal but you should still be careful even when you think it's gone.  

8. Good luck and let me know if I can help as I know how horrible this affliction is and I've found a lot of help on this forum so I want to give back :)

I hope my info helps you.
Hey guys.

I am so happy I have stumbled across this site!

In the summer this problem starts, in winter my eyes are fine. I wake up on a summer morning and find that my eyelids have swollen up, and my skin looks really winkley and they itch like a *****.
I've been having this problem since last year. I even phoned in sick at work because I could not bear to go out looking all puffed up. :(
I don't think make up is the problem as this only happens in the summer.

I've not had it this year as summer is just beginning now in the UK. So I've now started using Dove sensitive bar to remove my make up now. Do you guys think this would help? Also, I use Simple eye moisturiser. I find it does not moisturise my eyes much. At night I use Vitamin E oil on my eyelids, it's very oily but it moisturises my eyelid.
Any more tips guys? I might look into buying Neem oil. Thanks for your help!
I am a 23 year old normal male. I don't wear make up, I have never had allergies. But I do have red itchy dry eyelids and nothing seems to help. I have tried a lot of things and nothing works except hydrocortizone cream. I know that stuff is really bad to put on your eyelids but it makes the flare up go right away. I don't know what to do I just want it to be gone.
I didn't see any response on here to someone putting hydrocortizone on their eyelids so I thought I would post and see if someone knows what I should do. I have gone to a dermatologist who didn't know what it was, didn't test it for anything just told me to use aquaphor over the counter. I don't want to go back to the doctors for them to tell me to use some stupid over the counter thing again.
Please help.
Add me to the list. I'm 45, female and have indoor cats (but I've had cats my whole life). I've had the inflamed swollen red eyelids on and off since last August 2008.  It's driving me crazy.  I've read all the posts here and I too am amazed at how many people are dealing with this.  The last week it has been worse than ever.  I've spent so much money trying different things and having nothing work.  Today in desperation I bought the Egyptian Magic cream.  I'm actually experimenting with it because both my eyes are hideous.  So I have EM on one eye and plain Vitamin E oil on the other.  The EM eye does feel better and but is only slightly less swollen and red than the vitamin E eye so far.  Luckily the worst outbreaks so far have happened on the weekend when I can stay in and keep my eyes slathered.

Letting the shower with cool water run across my eyes like a little massage does bring some relief and reduces the swelling a little.  Cold compresses did nothing though.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences!  I'll try and check back and let you all know if the EM works any better than the Vitamin E.
Huge set-back today... right eye was swollen this morning. I don't know why!! The only thing I changed was putting EM on my upper AND lower lids instead of just upper - and no Neem Oil... I guess it was too early... maybe my eye is addicted to Neem now? WTF!! I am really upset and the wrinkles just keep getting deeper but I'm not giving up. The swelling went WAY down during the day but the wrinkles remain. It's back to Neem Oil tonight... again, WTF. So annoyed by this ****!!
I have the same symptoms as all you guys.  I bought neem and em.  But I am also taking an antihistamine.  I am taking 24 hour claritin TWICE a day.  I am almost healed, but could not have made it through without the Claritin.  I thought I was gonna claw my eyes out for a couple of nights.  I have not had this happen since 2000.  I was tested and found to be allergic to cobalt yet none of my makeup products contained cobalt.  Go figure.  
Thanks for the neem oil suggestion.  
Wow ...as I sit here trying not to rub my eyes I am amazed how many are afflicted with this. I have only had this for a week and it is driving me crazy. Does anyone have bumps in the are from lid to brow? Whole area is itchy,red and swollen.Thanks
So sorry but welcome to the club bw222.  read back on the posts in this thread.  There is some good advice here.

If you have bumps it's most likely hives.  In addition to remedies listed here you "may" need a day or two of cortisone to get the hives and itching under control but cortisone is bad for your lids over an extended period of time so be careful.

Try to find what triggered it and remove it. Most of us can't find our trigger but we manage it and try to live with it.

Good luck to you.

i have the same symptoms, i have excema on my eyelids, (itchy, puffy and sometimes flakey), it may be the same thing, i treat it with Eledel, and at the first sign of a flare up i apply a little and hardly ever have problems
and u nivea creme so your eyelids arent so dried out :)
This is some seriously aggrevating ****. Just got through reading every thread on here and now just back from whole foods with neem oil, tea tree oil, homepathic eye drops and omega 3 vitamins.
This is the second time this has happened in 2 weeks. First time I went to the doc and got a cortisone shot in the butt and antibiotic cream for my eyes. I needed a quick fix because I was going on my anniversary trip to florida and was determined to look like I HAD slept in the past 3 years!
Once in floirda (2 days later) the swelling was much better (we were there 5 days). Three days afte returning, so did the swelling and with avengeance! This time the itching and reddness much worse than the first time.
I am 28 years old (female) and have suffered with seasonal allegies my entire life. I have had chronically dry eyes, but never anything remotely similar to this. I have had allergy testing in the past that proved my seasonal allergies (pollen, etc) and that I am slight allergic to cats. I have one dog and have had dogs my entire life. I highly doubt it is makeup related (makeup usually makes it feel better - props to all you brave souls who go without, as i am not one :)
Anyway, that's my story and I will post my progress on neem, tea tree and drops... and whatever else I can get my hands on.
BBW08
I'm so excited! People that have the same thing as me. I knew I wasn't a special case or anything, but I'm so glad people have the same frustrations.

I have been treated for: dermatitis, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, hay fever, contact dermatitis and, while I believe there might be a combination of the things, the drugs they've pumped me full of just plain don't work.  I've taken Advair and Pulmicort (for asthma), elidel (causes cancer, btw), flonase, claritin, claritin d, zyrtec, zyrtec d, Xyzal (which did seem to help with regular seasonal allergies), elocon, hydrocortisone, eucerin, otc eye drops, flonase, and various other drugs, none of which have worked worth a hoot.

Here's the symptoms: dry, red, itchy eyes, swelling in the morning (some relief with cold compresses and manual lymph drainage of the neck and face), sinus pressure, mucous build-up in nasal passages, watering eyes, rash on face and neck, non-acne papule-type bumps (not hives), hives (occasionally). I don't have problems with it over winter, typically, only spring/summer. I know I have some allergies, but the skin testing didn't show anything. "My a$$," is what I have to say about that.

No changes in makeup, don't wear contacts, have dog and cat but wash hands after touching and they are with me during my couple months of non-flare-ups so they aren't the culprit, no changes in cleaning habits, use only vinegar and biokleen to clean with in flare-ups and during long periods of being fine, no changes to laundry soaps (use frag free, non-petroleum only), etc. Once it flares I know I have no hope of calming it down, despite being conscious of not scratching it.  I know when the little cottony things fly around in the air that it'll flare up (happening for 2-3 years) and then, Hello itchy eyes off and on all summer long through the fall.  Son of a you-know-what.  I may try the neem and see how that goes. It's just crazy because once the first big flare happens, something as simple as washing my face will set off the reaction and it's a nasty cycle.  

But all that said, I'm so happy other people like me are around!
I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one with this problem! Does anyone else here use bare minerals? I've been using it for four years and the flare-ups started about three years ago but (like some others) only in the summer. It never occurred to me that it could be the culprit until reading kkrock's post.I'm going to stop using it for a bit and see what happens. It's usually been just my upper eyelids and a small spot on my neck but the past few days my cheeks have been itching too. Right now now my whole face looks red and blotchy and feels horrible. Most lotion burns, sometimes even the unscented natural stuff that I normally use. I've tried cortaid, allergy meds, vaseline, and about 8,000 kinds of "soothing" lotion. I'm going to try this NEEM stuff everyone's talking about. Thanks for the advice!
Wow, thought I was the only one dealing with this.  It all started in April when I came in contact with smoke (believe the neighbors burned poison ivy), stressed from work, moving, studying, and single parenting my 7 year old son.  Started out as bumps along my jaw line, then broke out all over my neck, face, back and hands.  I've tried a ton of creams, eucerin is the only one that doesn't burn.  Now I have extremely itchy red HOT eyelids, usually at night.  I've started seeing an acupuncturist, which seems to help, slowly.  He recommended not using anything that contains sodium laureyl sulfate, hard to find any products without it, it's even in mascara.  I'm going to look into Neem oil and Em.  So glad I found this site.
So far the steroids and neem have worked well. One word of caution about Neem, in case you haven't read up on it, is that if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant, it's probably better to avoid it. Some reference is made in the neem oil wikipedia article. It's a good place to start research if this is a concern for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil
*sorry, avoid in internal forms
I have tried the neem (lotion form - not the pure oil) and I am still having issues. My eyelids are still swollen but the good news is the don't itch anymore. The neem seems to sting a little at first and then subsides. Have also been appling vitamin E to prevent dryness and that has worked really well. No instant cure yet, but all symptoms are slowly subsiding. Well keep updating (on day 3 of flareup). How often does everyones flare ups usually last? And how long in between flare ups usually? I can't wait for this to go away!
My wife has been struggling wtih this condition for about 8 weeks now.  She had all her cosmetics tested by an allergist with no results, then was tested for food with no results, and just saw the derm today who said he had no idea what it was and suggested she stop wearing her make up for 3 weeks.  There's a solid piece of medical advice, when in doubt, stop the make-up.  I'm picking up some NEEMs on the way home to try tonight...thanks for the suggestion, I let you know how it goes.  
yes i have a same problem..that start like 3 weeks ago..swollen eyelids with red trim like a eyeliner and its each lil bit too...but i think i found it why its doing that.
first i thought its my new eye cream that coses this..then i stop using it ...but problem was still there..there i thought maybe its some kinda infection from my mascara..so stop using that too...and then OMg i figure all out.
That problem been cause by  Nail Polish!(dang..)
i took my accrilic gel nails off like 2-3 weeks ago and i been wearing them for years.
so i put nail polish on..then next day my eyelids was swollen and red..ok to make  long story short here is the link to the video i found on you tube..its will explane it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayk14HfP7Oc
First off, SO sorry this has happened to you!! I feel your pain, trust me.

Update: I AM SYMPTOM FREE!! I have been since a week after my last post. Yay!!

What I found out: it was totally Bare Minerals Make up that did it to me... I am so EFFING MAD about this. I loved that ****. Anyway, pojj31, go get some Everyday Minerals - its does not make me flare up and I think it looks better too :) matches my skin better and its all natural ingredients - did I mention cheaper too?? Yay!! I hope this helps you.

Kaprizulka - I thought it might be my nail polish too but I tried going without nail polish for about two weeks (which KILLED me) and I still flared all up. I've never had fake nails and I've been painting my own nails since I was old enough to do it. Though, I have heard that nail polish can cause reactions so thanks for making that point.

Also - I've been using all natural glycerin soap this helps and does not dry out my skin.

Since I got rid of my Bare Minerals and EVERYTHING it's touched (I cleaned my make up brushes and replaced one brush, got a new make up bag and THREW AWAY all Bare Minerals make up) I have not had ONE SINGLE flare up!! Here's hoping it stays that way.

Please let me know if I can help anyone with info and stuff - I no longer need NEEM on my eyes or EM - the wrinkles are almost gone completely and I only use lotion once a day now as I used to. I would NEVER have gotten through this without the advice on this board and NEEM!! I love NEEM (though I did hear that about it killing sperm/the pregnancy problem - I think you have to ingest like really high doses of NEEM for that to happen - or like ... spread it down there... for it to work, it is a pesticide after all!! Haha) Thanks so much guys and I'll be checking in!!
YAY!

I'm very happy for you.That darn BE is the devil! Everyday Minerals is the way to go!  

I hope you remain symptom free.
I had a flare-up this week.  bah.  Not too bad but still.......

FYI everyone-  My routine remains as is morning and evening.

wash with L'Occatain Honey bee bars
apply Lubriderm "Anti-itch" (discontinued!!!! :-O)
apply Egyptian Magic on lids

I no longer use Neem unless I have a flare-up otherwise the above keeps me in good shape.

Thanks!! I actually started using Everyday Minerals because of your post and I LOVE IT!! I got the "tea time" blush and it's so cute ^_^

Anyway, I'm sorry you had a flare up :( but I'm glad you no longer have to use the anti-itch lotion!!

Keep us updated and, again, thanks so much for your help/info!!
I just started having these same symtoms two weeks ago i used maximum strength neosporin + pain relief and that helped with the peeling and itching right after I put it on I used it for two days and the symtoms went away then it came back last night and even worse this morring I put the neo on again but you are suppose to go to the doc after a week of using it. So before calling I tried the internet and it seems usseless to go to the doc. after eveything I read. I'm going to try the athlete foot cream first, on another forum a girl went to the doc. and she said it was fugal & the foot cream worked and it never came back, then I will try  the neem I guess. I hope I don't have to deal with this forever. I'm 31 I have had cats since I was a kid I have always wore covergirl makeup and the only thing I have done different is I just joined a gym & I use the sauna & the pool. You would think we would all have something in common! Oh well good luck ev1 I'm gonna check out that You tube video now.
Hi guys,

I am new here, and have been reading this forum for a while looking for answers.
Same problem here- waking up with red swollen eyelids, itching sensation, and during the day it would go down. Also went to the doctor, who said it was blepharitis, blah blah blah....

Anyway, I think I found an allergen!!!! EGGS!!!!

Google symptoms of egg allergy and you will see "swollen eyelids, dry skin around the mouth"

I have stopped eating eggs and egg products (mayo, cakes etc) and the problem have NOT RETURNED.

I hope this helps. I was really suffering with this problem, to the point of not being able to go in public, and I hope this will be an answer to some of you!!

Good luck!
It's been several weeks so I thought I would check in. I'm so happy for all of you that have identified the allergy.  I'm doing great.  No flare-ups since identifying that the product I was using for a full YEAR was causing my problems (in my case differin).  It took me eight weeks to accept that I WAS dealing with an allergy -- I was on my fourth doctor by then.  I don't look a million years old anymore.  I've even found substitutes that don't cause the allergic reaction.

For some reason it was so hard for me to realize that I could BECOME allergic to something that I was using all along.   Instead I was looking for something "NEW" that was causing my flare-ups, the truth was I had to stop using EVERYTHING to isolate the irritant.  

I wish you all continued good health!
the area surrounding my entire eye is red, itchy, swollen, wrinkled, etc. i have been dealing with this for some time and am tired of looking 25 years older than i am ! anyway, i purchased EM, Neem oil and Neem lotion. Will you please clarify where on your eyelids you place these as I have problems with the area UNDER my eyes as well. Thank you !
My problem is an allergy to hair color.  I am a cosmetologist (15yrs now) and have been coloring my hair since I was 17 (crazy 80's hair) with no problems ever.  Then out of the blue at the age of 37 after a treatment my lower left eye lid swelled up.  At the same time a client/friend used the same type of color and had the same reaction.  I thought we got a bad batch but she told me that she had this problem for a while and was doing the Blepharitis treatment with little effect.  
At first I did not want to think it was the color, because life without hair color is a hell on earth.  Second why would this happen all of a sudden.  So I went to the doctor.
3 drs. over the last 3 years have told me I have Blepharitis.  When I tell them I think it is the hair color they all looked at me like "I'm the dr and this is what I say it is". At first I tried the steroid/baby shampoo treatment (because what do I know.  It's only my head that I look at every day. Why would that give me cause to think I might have a better insight to my condition).  The steroids help at first then the shampoo seemed to make things worse.  After doing research on the steroids I stopped using it. I also started keeping track of when the flare ups would happen and yes after each color treatment it would get inflamed again. It did not matter what color company I would use.
So after lots of research and help from other women on this forum I decided to start using herbal color.  Within 8 week my symptoms are completely gone and I have found the herbal color is superior in quality than the customary product. Bonus!
I have also noticed that no one has given hair color a thought.  So if nothing else works try the herbal hair color and see if that makes a difference.
Hope I helped someone
Good luck in your search because this condition *****!
In response to your question… to clarify:

Before I got EM, I would put Neem Oil on my LOWER eyelids at night only (as close to the eye as I could get but BE CAREFUL, it STINGS). I used a Q-Tip. I would also put Neem lotion on my upper eyelids (I only did this for a while as it REALLY dried them out after a few nights and the itching went away very quickly once I started putting Neem lotion on them). I would do this every night with the Neem oil on my lower lids.

Then in the morning, I would put the Neem lotion on my lower lids only (I would used aloe lotion on my top lids to sooth them because they were way more sensitive than my lower lids). I would continue to apply Neem lotion to the lower lids and aloe lotion to the upper lids during the day periodically when I felt itching or whenever. Everyday.

Then when I got EM, my regimen only changed slightly - at night only - I would put EM on my upper lids instead of Neem lotion because it was less abrasive and did not dry out my upper lids as much as the Neem lotion (but it's OILY so I only used it at night). I tried putting some EM on my lower lids instead of the Neem oil but (and this is just my experience, some people had more luck with EM than I did), the EM would inflame my lower lids and make them hurt. The EM worked wonders on my upper lids but only Neem oil worked for my lower lids. The day-time regimen stayed the same.

Overall: any oily stuff, do it at night, any lotions are for the day... that way you can get away with not looking TOO weird while treating it... eventually (and especially after I found my trigger chemical/product), these daily treatments tapered off... I got down to only using aloe lotion and Neem oil at night and aloe lotion during the day to moisturize. Then after a while of that, I only had to use aloe lotion and eventually... my eyes were back to normal!! Right now I am just waiting for the wrinkles to go back down (they've faded a bunch already)...

I hope this helps... Hang in there!!
My eyes recently staring becoming severly itchy, red and swollen....I thought to myself WTF. All I knew is it about to drive me CRAZY!!!! Especially at night as you were all saying. As im sitting here at the computer my eyelids are swelling more and more an itching more an more. I have not yet called the Dr. as I wanted to look this up on the computer and I found this website!!!!( Glad I did), but not sure what this NEEM lotion is that everyone talks about. Please tell me where I can purchase this at so I can start relieving my poor eyes....I love this site and will bookmark it so I can come back to see if  any of you answered my question. Please help as I can't stand it much more!!!!

Diane in Michigan
thank you so much for the clarification ! i hope it helps ! for Harleychik...i bought the EM and Neem products at "Henry's". Good luck !
I have always had this problem when I got near formaldehyde. however a few weeks ago the pool guy told me that my salt generator was not working and he put chlorine in my pool  I swam in the chlorine treated pool and felt my lips felt funny kind of tight. Then a week later Im at the nail salon and the women uses her formaldehyde polish on me when I wasnt looking.  Big flare up 24 hrs later.  It started to go down in the next few days then I had 2 alcoholic drinks and fried chicken. Whoa worse flare up ever the redness is all over my face.  My eyelids have never been this itchy and when I wake up my lids are huge.  I am not presentable.  I am using neem oil but I keep getting it in my eye.  What are you all finding the culprit to be??
Okay, I have been dealing with this problem off and on for about 20 years.  Started in my early 20's and I would get rid of it for a few years and then it would come back.  This may sound silly, but I figured out when I ate a tootsie roll I would have a bad reaction and thus red itchy eyes again.  I haven't had a break out for about 5 years and just recently I started eating protein bars.  I have had a HUGE problem again for about a month or so.  I read the ingredients this morning on tootsie rolls and my protein bars and there are alot of the same ingredients used in both products.  
I had not had a protein bar all week and was totally cleared up until yesterday I tried one of my sons bars and sure enough by the afternoon I was red, itchy and swollen.  I look like H_ _ L this morning.  I am miserable and thats why I found this great site.  You have all been so helpful and I am off to Henry's this morning to pick up some EM and Neem to see if this will help. No more protein bars!!  The only thing that I am concerned about is the lady with the egg reaction.  I have been on a high protein, low carb program and have been eating a couple of boiled eggs every morning.....Could that also be an issue???  So I will have no eggs and no protein bars and then slowly try one in a couple weeks and see if I react.
You all are definately better than any doctor I have ever been to!!!  
Thanks a million for all the info.  I love this... You guys are GREAT!!  
Take care and good luck,  Rhonda K.
I also went to the doctor, who said it was blepharitis, and I have been treating my eyelids for over a year with hot a compress twice a day. I haven't been able to wear eye makeup for awhile because of the redness and the swelling. AAAGGHHHH
I've switched make-up, face soaps and creams etc. etc., but to no avail.

After reading this blog last week, I went and purchased Neem Seed Oil at the health food store and in 5 days, EVERYTHING has cleared up,
NO REDNESS, NO SWELLING AND NO FLAKES!!!!!
Stings like **** when you get it IN your eyes, but it is SO much better.
I LOVE this stuff, thanks to all for sharing.!!
Hello there, I as well had very very itchy eyelids and would swell up in the morning. I had it for about 3 weeks with the dryness going on and off. One week it just went really dry and really swollen. My boyfriends mom is a registered nurse and advised me to use Hydrocrotizone you can pick up that treatment anywhere such as walmart, walgreens CVS. She advised me to get the 0.5% one since i was using it on the eyelid. The next day I saw improvement and the swelling had gone down. You shouldn't use the hydrocortizone over 7 days, I used it for about 3-4 days and after it seemed to have healed I use Neem Oil& Leaf cream. Now i noticed around the area that it seems to have darkened in color a little bit it feels fine and everything but i just want to know if its normal, and also is it safe for me to wear eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara? PLEASE REPLY THANK YOU
My eyelids have been swollen and itchy for a couple months.  I've started taking Claritin full-time but that doesn't seem to help.  My doctor gave me steroids just to make me feel better and that did the trick.  But two weeks later all symptoms came back.  I'm going to go get EM today, fingers crossed.  I'm wondering if anyone who had the swelling had their eyelids pretty much fold over.  I'm 30 and my eyes look so aged now.  My left eye is much worse than the right and I can see an actual fold in my eyelid skin.  Think the EM will help "reverse" this???
hello...ive been reading your forum here to see if anyone figured out where this is coming from. i have had this for a couple weeks...off and on and i dont know where it comes from. i do know that tobradex eye ointment works well. im a nurse anesthetist, so i can get it from the OR pretty easily, but i would recommend it to all of you. it takes the redness and pain away as soon as you put it on and then i use loratadine antihistamine pills for the swelling which works over a couple hours. usually the next day its all gone and i dont get it again for a bit...i guess till i come in contact with my allergen. i did have a stressful day today and that may be causing this. who knows. just thought i'd pass the Tobradex ointment along to all of you because it works and has no burning associated with applying it. thanks and good luck to you all,  shannon w.
This has been a very helpful site in the past and I wanted to pass on a tip that I got from here a while back. Aloe vera sunburn lotion/cream. The one I have is a green gel and it works great to relieve the itching and get rid of the redness.

I had forgotten that nail polish could be a trigger and wouldn't you know it? I painted my nails on Saturday for the first time since February and by Monday my eye was acting up again, I dismissed it, kinda forgot about the swelling itching that was about to occur since its been a while and lo and behold, this morning, I'm full blown tomato eye! Washed it with baby shampoo (another thought, I followed someone else's tip and did a hot compress marathon months ago where I kept repeating the process (kept changing the washcloth also every couple of hours) over and over for about 8 hours and the next day I had greatly reduced the swelling versus just doing it once a night as I usually did) so washed with baby shampoo, dried with a clean towel applied a dab of aloe vera gel and I've been ok for the last 5 hours, unfortunately, I didn't bring to work with me and I will have to wait to get home to repeat process. But yep, I think my trigger is nail polish.

I hope this helps someone.
I too am suffering from this horrible thing.  I am a young 46 years old and also have a dog...found out I am allergic to dust mites...but doctors don't have a clue if that's causing this...My eyes are nearly swallen shut in the morning with my right eye worse.  The eye lids and around the eye is agitated, red, dry, and wrinked, when I go running then tend to water profusely - total bummer.  Have tried steriod cream, aloe cream, antihistimine drops, claritan, zertac, you name it, nothing!  just bought EM, and Neem will try these as well. I never used to have this problem, used to live on East Coast, now live in Marin County, CA!  Wondering where everyone else lives who is getting this...Bay Area?
Also anyone taking any other medication or has anyone had the Lasik eye surgery perhaps?  I have.  And I take synthroid...Wondering if it could be from any of these...Also use an estradoil patch...Anyone else?
It might be helpful if we could find a common link.
Dog or Cat?
Bay Area?
Medications?
Other allergies?
Oh, and I saw the you tube video saying it is nail polish but I don't use nail polish so go figure... I do have french manicured toe nails but haven't had them done for months...and is supposed to be a green nail polish place so I don't htink any formaldihide....ugh
Well I'm not in the bay area, actually Midwest, I don't have a dog or cat, don't have any other allergies, I did watch the YouTube video, I really think mine is caused by that or maybe its strictly blue eye shadow, I also wore blue eye shadow last two times I got it and I had polished my nails too. I'm going to wait til I have no weekend engagements and do a test to see which is the trigger but for right now I'm happy to say that the aloe vera, baby shampoo and hot compress have worked immediately, also  I really refrained from touching my eye this time around, I think that since the aloe vera controlled the itching it helped with that.
Thank god I found this!! I too, was told I had blepheritis (sp?) and have been suffering for years! Just when I think I have a handle on it (by not wearing eyeliner), my eyelids either swell or hurt like h*ll for no apparent reason (no makeup worn)! I can't figure it out. I know makeup plays a BIG role with me, but there are many occassions when I MUST wear eyeliner and such. So I take the risks and sometimes I'm in pain for days later and others not.
I've been going through the worst flare-up now though. I just moved into my own home, and ever since I've been there, my eyes have been irritated. I wore eye shadow (but no liner) 1 night and my eyes have been swollen ever since (5 days now). It's never been this bad. I'm wondering if something in my house is causing my eyes to be worse? It's very hot in my bedroom at night when I sleep (even with the a/c set at 68) so I don't know if that could be a problem? I'm defo going to go out and buy the products that have been suggested tho!
It's strange to me tho, cause if you have blogged oil ducts, you'd think that oil is the last thing you'd want to put on them? I'm up for anything tho, I can't take this anymore.
Has anyone found that switching from soft water to hard water with a softner has caused your eyelids to be more irritated? My eyelids have been flaky (and swollen every other day) for 2 weeks now....ever since I moved into my new home, with different water.
I have the same problem and I'm so thankful I found this site!!!
Where can I buy Neem Oil?? CVS pharmacy or Lunds?? Please help. :)
I was so excited when I found this forum and saw possible help/solutions.  Sadly the Neem oil and Egyptian Magic had no effect whatsever on my itchy and swollen eyelids.  This is a little scarry for me because I had this same thing happen around 1997-98. I went through a battery of allergy tests at the Cleveland Clinic and all was determined was that I was allergic to Nickel. So I eliminated that from my life, but that really wasn't the problem. Sad thing is no one could tell me what I was allergic to or what was causing it. I got a bunch of reasons... severy mold allergy, pollen, El Nino related allergens, etc.  It stopped by itself once winter began.  That entire summer and fall were pretty much spent on prednisone and indoors.  A few years later I felt the saggy eyelids weren't really going to go away after that much stretching and shrinking so I had plastic surgery and had the excess skin removed.  All was fine until early August 2009 when it started again.  Itchy eyelids and constant touching/scratching lead to swollen eyelids and eventually scaling and dryness and redness and a raw tender feeling.   The anxiety that I was feeling because of this happening again was affecting everything in my life. Hydroxyzine helped with that.  Also, because I did the most damaged to my eyes while I slept, it helped me sleep deeper and through the night.

When I turned 40, I decided to treat myself to MAC Cosmetics...foundation, eye shadow, etc.  I know, crazy considering the problems I'm having, but I couldn't talk myself out of it.  Plus, I never felt this was caused by makeup- I never changed anything before the problem started.

At the store, the sales guy saw my scaly dry skin around my eyes and recommended Moisturelush Eye Cream A29 to help rehydrate the skin.  He said slather it on real heavy and in a week the skin will look better.  I didn't expect a miracle but was hoping for one and let's face it- I've chased every possible solution (Aquafor, vaseline, Neem oil, Egyptian Magic, hemorroid cream, hydrocortizone cream, ponds cream, cetaphyl, neutrogena moisturizers, plus some more I can't recall anymore) anyone has ever mentioned- so why not!
Anyway, I don't know if this stuff is so thick that it created a barrier to what was bothering me or if the ingredients are magical and didn't aggravate my sensitive skin, but it worked.  My eyes healed in 2 days and they don't itch anymore.  
17 days and counting and all is well.   The folds in my upper lids are gone too. I'm so grateful for that-having had expensive surgery to correct the problem the first time- I can't afford to do that again.

i have a HUGE problem. according to my eye doctor the glands in my left eye lid have swollen due to which the eye appears much smaller. he suggested ht compress. iv been doing it for past 4 days but it does not seem to work. what should i do? any ointments for reducing such swelling quickly?
I went to the doctor a few weeks back, because for months my eyes were red, really red inside, I was using visine drops like there was no tommorow, just though I was having a reaction to allergies (seasonal) went to the eye dr. he gave me Lotimax, tok the redness away, but then the outer parts of my upper and lower lids got swollen, redness inside went away ( looks like old lady eyes ) stopped wearing contacts and makeup, said I could be having a reaction to the cotacts, went to the emergency room when they were almost swollen shut, they seem to go down during the day if I put ice on them, but the ice is also drying them out, but in the morning they are at their worst, they look "saggy" like i am an old woman, this is depressing the hell out of me, have missed 3 days of work, cause I am too embarassed to go in looking like a monster, what should I do, going to see the family dr. next, can't stand this any longer, was taking benadryl, not helping, just making me tired, they itch like hell right at the eyelash point.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!  
I dealt with this same problem periodically for years.  I finally narrowed the culprit down to aspartame.  It's an artificial sweetener found in many foods, drinks, gum, etc. (i.e. diet cokes, light yogurt).  As soon as I cut it out of my diet, my eye allergy stopped appearing.  It may not be the trigger for everyone, but some of you may want to look into it.   I know how awful this is to deal with so I hope this helps.  
Just got back from the family Dr. he says it is not from wearing my contacts, or pink eye or blephertis, but Still cannot pinpoint exactly, I live in Philly right now ragweed is for allergy sufferers, I do have allergies to many things, but he said it would not cause my eyes to itch, swell up and turn red only on the outsides, he gave me pataday drops, he prescribed me a steroid cream to go inside my eye, you actually get scared to try anything else, for fear it will make them even more swollen, looks like as I said, only lady wrinkly, saggy eyes, which normally I do not have!!  Very frustrating, also said I have dry eye, have to take optive up to 6x a day, what a pain in the butt!!  I have not been able to wear any eye makeup, or my contacts, have worn eye liner, mascara since I was a teenager, is it possible to "suddenly" become sensitive to these things, someone said it could be eyeliner, but I have worn that as well since I was a young girl, scared to do anything at this point, I am allergic to cats, dogs, birds, and dust, flowers, etc, but for years I was not having problems at all with allergies, go figure!!!!!!
I'm more terrified that even if this goes away, the wrinkling will end up being permanent, or just never go back to how it was. It's horrible because I have amazing genes on both sizes for good skin with no wrinkles, to be doomed to EARLY wrinkles that look worse than my 50 year old mother. I've worked preventatively on getting wrinkles even when I was very very young, staying out of the sun, sun block, away from smoke blah blah, only for all that hard work to be shat all over in  mere months of this ****. This is terrible someone please say their skin has bounced back from this wrinkle wise. I just got egyptian magic cream in the mail today, praying it works.
I'm so glad I found this forum! I, too, have been dealing with swollen, itchy, cracked eyelids on and off for about 3 years.

The problem first occured a few years ago randomly. I had gone a couple weeks without wearing eyeshadow and when I wore it again, I got the symptoms described above. I thought I may be allergic to my eyeshadow or that it somehow got bacteria on it, so I threw it out and purchased new eyeshadow. Same thing happened. I switched brands to a hypoallergenic one and again, swollen, itchy and cracked eyelids. I thew out my old eyeshadow applicators and brushes and bought new ones. Still happened!

I thought maybe it was my eyeliner or foundation or mascara. But after I went a few days just wearing those three (both by themselves and together), I was fine so long as I didn't wear eyeshadow. I thought maybe it was my nail polish. But even when I wear my nail polish I'm okay. My eyelid problem seems to only happen when I wear any eyeshadow. I've worn eyeshadow since my teens, so how is it that I'm all of a sudden allergic to any and all eyeshadow???

I went to 2 dermatologists and both gave me a prescription for a light hydrocortizone and both thought it was "something" I'm doing or touching that is causing this to happen. Real specific... I know. But I haven't switched cleansers, shampoos or products that would introduce a new chemical reaction on my eyelids. I'm using all the same stuff I have been well before I started experiencing this problem.

I thought maybe it's blepharitis and i've been doing the home cleansing w/ baby shampoo. But it doesn't seem to be helping when I wear eyeshadow.

Anyone else having similar issues?
I just happened to stumbled onto this site as I'm desperate to find some help for my eyes.  I have had itchy, red, scaly eyes for at least 10+ years and have gone to several eye doctors who all gave me the diagnosis of blepharitis.  I have used steroid ointment on eyelids more than I should but cannot find anything else to help me.  Now even this doesn't seem to help.  I have tried using baby oil to clean my lids but this seems to irritate my eyes even more.  I even went to a dermatologist yesterday which was a waste of my time and money because she basically did nothing and wanted me to spend more money having my skin tested for allergies.  I'm very careful about not wearing makeup.  I'm embarrassed to go out but have to with my red eyes and now my chin has a red rash and the dermatologist says it's the same issue I have with my eyes even though she never really looked at it that closely or tested it.  I'm interested in anything to try to get my eyes back to normal...

Kath (sampson1024)
Hi... Thank you all for all these great comments... It helped me a lot. I was freaking out because I never had any problems with my eyes and I was really worried...
Thank you very much!!!!!!
I have had this prob on and off for a couple of years. I find it's like an eczema which flares when stressed or sick.
I recently had a sinus infection which made me SO sick! It took 6 weeks, 3 rounds of antibiotics, steriods, X-rays and a cough from hell. I actually had to stop the car on the road when driving in order to cough safely! Anyway, this nearly killed me and now that I am better I have this. Interestingly I suspect it is hay fever and eczema combined with fatigue which is causing it. I am currently taking Zantac which over the course of the day helps the itch. I have been using Aveeno cream on my eyes nightly for moisturisation. When the eczema flares I use a tiny amount of cortisone 1% to reduce the breakout. Eczema responds to 1) cortisone to reduce inflammation and 2) moisture to prevent the dryness which starts off the prob in the first place. If you have not tried Aveeno, it's great! Good starting point. Anyway, I am going to give the Neem oil a try - have ordered online this am as well as the Dr H cream. You guys have cost me a small fortune but I'll try anything! I love my makeup and hate the eye prob. Want to look and feel good again. It is Spring here so I am blaming this at this stage.
Hello! I was very stoked to find this site! The past three months I also have been suffering with this bizarre condition. Mine started with red, dry, itchy patches around both eyes. Certain mornings I would wake up with the swelling also. When I do have the swelling I spend at least a half hour with ice packs on my eyes (who has time for this?!!) The only thing I put on my lids was  aloe vera from a plant. I didn't want to do steroids. I noticed the swelling and redness were severe mornings after I had alcohol the night before. I have rarely had seasonal or contact allergies or this type of skin problem and wear virtually no makeup in the summer and hadn't changed anything. I beleive this problem was internal inflammation. I also believe the body heals itself from the inside out. I did some research on the internet and decided to do a 3 day apple and fresh juice fast. (I was desperate to get rid of this) I am two days out of the fast and  the condition is 90% better!! Unfortunatley people can be allergic to anything and develope allergies to anything at any time. This makes it difficult to find out what is causing this. My opinion is that if you can't find anything externally that is an allergen, think about foods and overall health. I had it so bad when I started the 3 day apple fast I could barely blink my eyes and the skin around them was bright red, flaky and burned horribly. If you decide to explore the fasting option, please do some research on fasting (for instance, don't do it if you have major health problems) I just wanted to share my experience in case it may help someone. I am going to continue to really watch what I eat and try to be healthier. I hope all of you find what heals you!!
So many of you !! On and off for maybe 10 months I have suffered with really itchy upper lids (mainly the right) The problem seems to be just in the crease ? Also under the eye has gone really swollen and then when it goes down it so wrinkly and puffy. I too wear BE foundation and think I might try the everyday minerals somebody mentioned.  I also have indoor cate but have had them for nearly six years so not sure it's them.  I hope swapping the makeup helps they look terrible :0(
This is creepy!  It is yet another dis-ease of the 21st century.  I am 58 and for 58 years never had any kind of allergy affecting my eyelids.  Now it appears every 10 days to 2 weeks.  It takes about 3 days to swell and itch to its worst, then about 3 days to de-swell and de-itch back to normal, then of course about 3 more days for all the wrinkling to go away.  I have used Benzocaine non-itch cream and oil.  It only seems to relieve it and it has to run its course like a cold.  What is creepy is that these sort of things are coming up more frequently and affecting more and more people and the doctors don't have a clue what it is.  So what if it is "just" our environment, or something in our water, and humans will just have to live with it?  Nobody can find a specific cause.  I thought it was related to my digestion but as soon as I have a food item I think is causing it and I'm going without that, it comes up again.  
P.S.
Thanks for the NEEM and Egyptian Magic suggestions.  I'm going to get one.  ALSO, a friend who's a nurse said it could be due to lack of sunlight.  I've read we should face the sun at least 20 minutes a day.  I had forgotten that and have not been doing that.  
Do any of you by chance drink Budweiser?  It has changed hands and maybe formulas.  RSVP
Ugh, I think I might be allergic to olive oil, which is in the egyptian magic. I tried the EM on my eye lids and the got even more itchy and then got hives all over. Put that away for a few weeks then tried to just use extra virgin olive oil as a scrub for the rest of my face....hives everywhere. I guess I'll try to neem oil. My eyes are so scaley and itchy with no relief. I have to just num them to death with ice just so I can get to sleep. I'm rubbing the **** out of my eyes and I feel like its damaging the skin so badly that these 'swollen wrinkles' will never go away. I need help :(
Grrrrrrrr.  IT'S BAAAAAAAAACK!

Wow, after being symptom free I'm having a full blown episode and nothing, NOTHING is helping.  I even broke down and used cortisone and that didn't help.

I made an appt with a new Dr..  Going today.  Praying she can be patient enough to help resolve it for me.

I can't find the trigger!  I've changed nothing in my routine.  I'm leaning towards something I've ingested but after a whole week I would have thought it would be out of my system right now but I'm in the still swollen and slightly peeling stage..  Both upper & lower lids.  I look like a shar pei!

I'm so depressed.
I'll report back.
Do any of my fellow sufferers use Tilex, bleach, aerosol bathroom cleaners or Windex regularly?  
Hi all,
Sorry to everyone who has to suffer through this.  I too have this same, horrifying problem.  I wish I knew what caused it but I think there are too many ingredients in things I thouch/eat/use to figure it out.  I bought Egyptian Magic and it has worked wonderfully for me!  I still wake up with slightly swollen lids sometimes but the flakey skin and redness and most of the swelling is gone.  The EM makes the swelling go down pretty quickly too.  My eyes mostly flare up from using makeup (mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner) and then sometimes from dust or household cleaners etc.  I'm just wondering if anyone has found a brand of eyemakeup (particularly mascara) that works for them and doesn't cause the flare ups?  I was using maybeline for about 10 years but obviously can't use it anymore.  If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!  I want to wear makeup again!!!!  : (
The good, the bad and the interesting.

Found a new Dr. and went today.  I was in my end stage of an episode.  Still swollen, not so red, barely any flaking but my lids were sore and looked like deflated latex balloons.

After listening to my long tale of woe she examined me, left the room and came back with another Dr. “We think you have something pretty uncommon. Blepharochalasis Syndrome”  

HUH?

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1214014-overview

So, while many of my symptoms suggest this but not all, I was referred to a PLASTIC SURGEON!

*blink blink* HUH?

I don’t know what to think.  I won’t lie.  I’m thrilled at the prospect of having my eyes surgically restored to their former youthfull appearance and possibly having my medical insurance cover it.  I’m confused as I’m not sure my issues will be relieved if I do.  The Dr. told me that the PS will be best to handle me as he deals in all kinds of glandular problems and he needs to confirm her diagnosis.

I will be calling 1st thing in the morning.  I’ll keep you all posted.

PS Allyrachel: I’m using Maybelline Great Lash waterproof with not problem. lol.  At least that I know of!  I’m so glad the E. Magic worked for you!!  I carry that stuff everywhere.  
I'm just reading back on some earlier post.  Ladies!  Ditch the Bare Minerals and get some Everyday Minerals!!  BE is the DEVIL! It contains bismuth which many people can not tolerate.
I am so glad I stumbled across this board. I am a healthy 44 year old female. For the last 6 weeks or so, off and on, I think  have had what you guys have been posting about. I have and INTENSLY itchy red swelling under my eye and recently now above my eye. At first I thought I was scratching my eyes at night, because it would usually show up in the morning. Yesterday it happened in the middle of the day. I read the suggestions of NEEM and EM. I think I will take an antihisamine. It looks awful, but feels worse.
Do yo guys have both eyes affected? Mine has always been just my right eye. SO annoying!
I had the same condition you are all describing and it was making me pretty miserable. It was only affecting my right eye which was swollen, red, itchy and sore. After reading everyone's posts on here I bought some Neem, which really helped in reducing swelling and soothing the area, but my right eye was still very wrinkled so whatever was the cause was still there.

I went to see an alternative therapist who I have seen in the past for a few unrelated conditions. It only took one session with him to cure this problem. He immediately identified the allergens which had triggered it - mainly some new face powder I has started using a few weeks earlier and a few other products which weren't suiting my skin. He then did some healing work on the wrinkled skin around my eye resulting in it being back to normal and looking like my other eye in under a week.

This is the website of the guy who cured this for me. I appreciate he will be too far away or in the wrong country for most of you on here but if you contact him he may be able to reccommend someone local to you as I know he has contacts worldwide.

http://www.*****************.com/

I have just read this back before posting it and it looks like an advertisement for this guy - I promise you it isn't, I just want to tell you all how I cured this. I really feel for all of you who have lived with this horrible condition for months or years. I only had it for a few weeks and found it really upsetting.
Ok, after my apple and juice fast I was in pretty good shape. About two weeks after, I had the problem again after eating Indian food. Not sure why. I will say I haven't had the swelling for several weeks. Why? The only thing I can think is I am drinking a lot of water everyday and exercising (sweating) I try to stay away from salty foods and not too much alcohol. I don't know what is causing this but I know for sure I wake up with my eyes nearly swollen shut when I drink  alcohol and don't drink enough (lots!) of water & when I have a lot of sodium. I think the exercise helps the lymph system clear out excess fluid and gets rid of salt.

I still have the red, itchy, dry skin on my eyelids. It is even extending out beyond the upper lids. I have been diagnosed with blepharitis and I believe I have this condition. (My eyes burn and water horribly). I don't know if the bleph. is to blame for all this or not.

I guess I just want to share what has helped with the swelling of the lids. Drink lots of water, exercise and reduce sodium and things that dehydrate like alcohol and caffeine. Hopefully we will all find what will heal us very soon!!!!

This may have already been suggested but I thought I'd add it in just in case.  Has anyone here been tested for food allergies?  I started with this problem a few months back and was so uncomfortable that I sat down and figured out what was new in any part of my life.  Only thing...pecans.  I had bought them to put in muffins I was making for a friend.  I tried one and fell in love so was adding them to everything I ate.  I stopped them and was better in a matter of days.  I forgot myself and ate a few toasted pine nuts a few days later and within 15 minutes my eyelids were red, itchy and swelling again.  Another couple weeks passed without incident until I ate peanut butter this past Sunday.  I was at the bottom of a container of fresh ground peanut butter.  Within 15 minutes of eating, eye symptoms started again.  I now have an epi-pen and will be going for bloodwork to test for tree nut and peanut allergies this week.  Just another note to all.  If the trouble comes and goes you may want to start keeping a food diary.  
Same as the rest of you... my eyes looked like raw meat that someone had tenderized the heck out of... I tried everything you all had suggested... and the stuff that I was warned NOT to do...

Disasters:  boric acid, aleo vera gel, Vagisil, hemorrhoid cream, and my favorite... topical steroid (from my "knowledgeable" dematologist...$75.00 for the wasted visit... thanks alot)

all burned... inflammed... and resulted in a bigger mess...

What Semi Worked:  

Egyptian Magic (dermatologist looked at contents and said "mid-eastern vasoline")

Neem Cream (dermatologist looked at contents and said "glorified aloe vera")... yet they BOTH worked better than her steroid from hell...

If you are going to use this combination of stuff... your upper lid is going to like the Egyptian Magic... the lower is going to puff moderately (on a min, mod, max scale)... both my lids accepted the Neem cream... but the lower remained min-mod swollen and both lids remained RED...

Nizarol Shampoo (Walgreens)... put on straight and sparingly and for only several minutes... too much and it will seep into your eyes and burn like noone's business... decent short term result... totally cuts the swelling... but I kept piling on the other stuff... was afraid not to... so not sure how it would have worked by itself...  Im now using it as my new shampoo... because I know its safe on my lids and will not cause additional erruption...

Neem Oil... the ointment that must have been made from pre-historic dinosaur anal glands... STUNK to high Heaven... I stunk to high Heaven... couldnt stand myself... the dog edged to the other side of the bed and pointed his nose away from me... that putrid mess burned my eyes all night long with no better results than the Neem cream... which was MUCH better contained and only had a slight garlic odor...

Claritin for Allergies... take two a day... it didnt kill me... I weigh about 120 lbs... cut down the itching...

FINALLY... WHAT WORKED... well... at least for the last two hours... but I BELIEVE!!!  :)

Oil of Oregano... kills all types of body fungus... both internal and external... I do believe we have fungus boy and girls... RUN... dont walk to the health food store and go get you some... took one tiny gel cap... and before it got fully down my throat... I watched in amazement as my eyes shrunk to their normal size... two pills and the red was totally gone... no swelling... no itch... no gunky tear seepage... NORMAL EYELIDS!!!

Ill keep you posted on my progress... 2 hrs and holding...

Sha
Two days and all is well... the Oil of Oregano is doing great... I took 3 gel caps today as a precaution... and used the Nizarol for good measure... I want this stuff DEAD!!!  This morning... I had alot of dryness and bags from the ordeal... and still some residual redness... so... dont ask me why... but I put chapstick on my lids... I was afraid to try anything else... and at days end... they are nicely moisturized... the red has disappeared... and no more wrinkles.  I look myself again :)  I wish you all good luck... I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Sha
Thanks for your detailed post...

What brand of oil of oregano to buy?

I too recently started using Bare Minerals...I suspect it might be the problem-

I'm stopping right now and going to wash my brushes too-
I am 33 and I too and among your ranks. My eyes are so puffy and red I can barely open then.  This has been a reoccuring issue for me for 10 years.  I just started wearing BE makeup again.  I wonder if this is the reason for my latest issue.  I am stopping right now and washing my brushes!  Tommorrow I am going to get the egyptian magic if my eyes do not clear up.  Can you use it on the bottom lid and/or acne?
thanx
Is the Everyday Minerals and Egyptian Magic sold in stores or do you have to order online?
Initially I tried putting aloe vera gel from a plant on my lids...made them itch. Then I put Vit. E oil..softened them but didn't take away the redness or itch. I put Benedryl cream on a couple times for the itching...took away the itch but made the redness brighter (last thing I need!)

I went in to Super Supplements (health food store) and looked at their skin care section. They had a poster advertising the before and after effects of an emu oil product. It was only $6 so I thought I would give it a try. It is called EMU gency First Aid pocket stick. It looks like a lip balm tube. It has emu oil, beeswax, vit E. oil , lots of other goodies and is all natural.

I started putting it on in the morning and at night before I went to bed. (I can't even remember the last time I wore eye makeup!) I am two weeks into the treatment and I'll be damned if the redness is not 95% GONE!!!! The itching is nearly gone. It took probably a week to see really good results. There is still a tiny bit of wrinkling on one lid but quite honestly, my eyelids look better than before this whole horrible fiasco began. In addition to relieving the redness and itching, it makes your eyelids look really soft. I am amazed and wanted to share this with you all. I looked at the EM and it looks great too, but to expensive for me. This stick was only $6 and is the only thing that has given me relief. Look in your local health food stores or online at laidinmt.com

I haven't had the swelling for well over a month. Like I said I am exercising more and drinking more water. I am also doing hot compresses to treat the blepharitis.

Thanks to ShaX2 for the oil of oregano heads up. I want to investigate this also.
Wishing you all healthy eyelids!!
I've tried hydrocortisone, topical benadryl, the poison ivy stuff that is pink, antihistimines, ice compresses, it *****. I'm a dancer and our group reenacted Thriller in several productions and I thought the heavy amounts of acrylic paint was the culprit.  Well I'm two weeks POST Thriller zombie and I've worsened. My eyes still look zombie-ish au natural.  ugh!!!!  As soon as my ankle gets better (had a sprain last night) I'm driving to the Health Food store and buying this Neem and EM stuff. I've spent the last hour reading all your posts. Let's keep in touch .. this has been extremely helpful.  I DON'T have insurance and really want to avoid going to a derm.

TapperMel
I would have to agree with most that are saying it is Bare Minerals. I have used this product off and on for a little over a year. When I first started using it, I had no problems. I go through stages of wearing makeup and then not. I recently started wearing it again and noticed that my cheeks were very itchy right after putting it on but just thought it was fall/winter skin setting in. Then I noticed that my eyelids were getting very sore, I just thought it was because I was scrubbing the makeup off. Well, when I saw and felt how my eyelids looked, starting two days ago, I freaked! I am so glad I found this site! I ran to the health food store and got neem oil right away. Too bad it stinks to high heaven! But it REALLY helped! Not only did I use it on my eyes, I used it on my whole face that has been dry, peeling and itchy. I think I will only use it nightly now because of the smell. I do want to get the EM yet. I also started taking the oil of oregano, I had taken that before because I felt I had too much yeast in my body,  and my chiropracter has been telling me she is really hooked on grapefruit seed extract. It basically does alot of the same things as the oil of oregano. She drinks it in her morning juice and puts it in her netty pot. So I am doing that too. I have had recent allergy testing and nothing came back although, my family all suffers from a mixed bag of allergies. Does anyone think this could also be yeast related? My husband niece get's a very similar condition on her face when she eats too much wheat, yeast, gluten, etc. What do you all think?

So glad to have found you!
I am about claw my eyeballs out today!  I used aloe vera gel last night. Nothing. I am itching more today and so swollen. I'm home due to a sprained ankle. Thank God because I look and feel so heinous! Today it's more the base of my eyelashes than the lids, both eyes. This is crazy...I hate this!  Help!
Is everyone using hot or cold compress??
I found a website which helped explain this issue very well.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blepharitis/DS00633

I've followed the Medhelp site for approx 2 years and tried everyone's suggestions.  Nothing has really helped but I went back to an eye doctor's recommendation she made years ago, and I find it's really soothing and the swelling/redness has gone .  Hopefully on my way to being able to handle this terribly irritating condition. I use Refresh Endura eyedrops, Lidcare eye towelettes to wash my lids once a day, polysporin or cortrate on the lids, and vaseline morning and night.  I'm going to start with the warm compresses as well prior to using the eyelid towelettes.  This condition seems to need vigilant care to keep on top of and I read it's chronic, so it won't go away (probably).
where did you get the lidcare and eye drops? Were they OTC??  Thanks!
Over the counter at the pharmacy.  I'm in Canada but I'm sure they have the same product elsewhere, perhaps by a different name.  Hope it helps.
I can't believe this many people have this problem.. I, too have suffered from itchy, red, swollen, upper eyelids for a long time.  It takes about 3 days to get full blown, then the cracked flakiness appears.  My eyes look saggy.  This cycle goes on about once or twice a month. I've tried changing make-up.  I'm not using Maybelline anymore, staying away from the bismuth ingredient.  I don't think it is just make-up though.. I believe the make-up just aggravates the problem.  I'm going to try some of your suggestions.  Hope at least one of them works!!  Thanks
Oddly enough, I've used Maybelline mascara for many years and seem to react to it.  I wonder what a good anti-allergen product would be?
I found this forum months ago and finally decided to post my own experience with "itchy, swollen, inflamed, twitching eyelids".

I am a female 42 - run 6 miles 6x a week - eat very healthy (an occasional salt or sweet binge once a month -I'm sure the ladies understand :-)) no health issues - never had allergies etc.

This April  I first noticed the inner area  in between my eyes to the side of my eyelids became slightly swollen and then slightly scaly after a few days  - I would moisturize to reduce dryness but the swelling did not subside.

Shortly after a week my eyelids were twitching on and off throughout the day - mostly on (not the spasm that occurs on rare occasions from lack of sleep). But ridiculous fast twitching.

Then my eyes became very very itchy and occasionally my nose too. My ears would also pop at times - hearing would get muffled especially on damp humid days.

At night I sometimes had fevers and would often awake feeling slightly sweaty.

I went to my GP. Gave me a scrip for Clarinex and Patanol eye drops. Did not help.
Went back - gave me a scrip for Amoxicillin - Did nothing.

At this point my eyelid swelling was getting worse - the actually lid was swelling not just the upper area in between my eyes.

Obviously frustrated I sought out further help...

I went to an ENT Dr. - He did allergy tests - sinus scans - gave me a scrip for a cat scan to see if my ethmoid sinuses were blocked - gave me a scrip for methylprednisolone (oral steroids).

The next day I went to an Allergist - he looked in my ears and up my nasal passages and said I had massive amounts of fluid in my ears and that all the pressure was backing up into my eyes - he diagnosed me with  Eustachian tube dysfunction and allergic conjunctivitis - He gave me a scrip to Omnaris (nasal steroid spray) - Elestat eye drops and told me to take Claritan D. He also did allergy tests.

MY cat scan came back negative. My allergy tests came back with a very  very low allergy to weeds- pollen and corn. - almost undectable.

The oral steroid worked like magic. I had my eyes back! I felt like me again when I looked in the mirror.

Until one month later ...It all came back.

By this time it is the beginning of August.
Went back to the ENT - got another dose pack of Methylprednisolone - He tested my ears - He did not agree w/Allergist about the Dysfunctional Eustachian tubes - my hearing checked out okay. This time the oral steroids only worked for two weeks and my eyelid horror returned.

Early September I went to an Ophthalmologist - He gave me a scrip for a steroid ointment called FML. He said it was some kind of allergy - highly unlikely due to pollen and weeds as my Allergist suggested - he said I had to be a detective and find out if any products I am using are causing this. He described it as a form of eczema and dermatitis.

I started using the FML - it did work - for a month - then symptoms came back...

Now during this time period of getting conflicting diagnoses and getting nowhere  - treating the symptoms not the cause I did put 2 things in the back of my mind that occured to me.

One night I ate way too many Wheat Thins -woke up with grossly magnified swelling and puffiness. The other occasion I ate way too much Vanilla ice cream and could barely open my eyes the next morning.

I spoke to my one of the Allergist's about this - asking if I had a food allergy - and she said that my eyes could not be caused by a food allergy - that if I had a food allergy my lips would be swelling up. So I continued on with the eye drops and antihistamines and decongestants.

Then very recently the corner of my lip split and I googled that and it was described as:
*********
"Why do lip corners split ?

The splitting of lip corners is the symptom of a problem called angular cheilitis (also known as perleche). It is the Inflammation of the sides of the lips following a fungal or a bacterial infection.This problem is more common among people who have a deficiency in iron or in vitamin B2, B3, B6 and B12.  "
********

When I read the words Fungal infection I remembered googling all this time and reading a couple of blogs and articles about yeast overgrowth and finally decided to look into . At first I was skeptical because none of the Doctors I saw mentioned that. Some sites about yeast overgrowth seem like a sales pitch which turns me off. Yet I decided to research this and can tell you I believe that is what this is.

Yeast overgrowth.

For over a week I have cut out sugar, dairy and yeast (except plain yogurt with active cultures). I am eating plain yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon - salmon -tuna - chicken eggs lots of garlic and all kinds of vegetables. I am limiting fruit to one small glasss of fresh squeezed  orange juice and another fruit. I am also eating some brown rice. Brown rice is okay and does not contain yeast - besides as a runner I need some carbs.

I also started taking acidophilus, a multi vitamin and biotin.

I am feeling so much better! I have my eyes back again! I am able to wear my makeup. BTW I too wondered if my beloved BareMinerals was causing this - It did not. I had these flareups going without makeup. I will say that the Mieral Veil does make my face itchy but I read that is from an ingrediebt called Zea Mays which is Cornstarch. I did rest positive to a slight corn allergy .

I will report back as I continue on with my healing!

I hope this helps someone. :-)

I could not fit this in my last post - Please read this article I found on line:

************************************
The reason you have Eczema is most likely an adrenal gland and fat metabolism problem. All the cremes, drugs, and other so called modern day medicine cures are ridiculous and doctors need to go back to school or better yet, change where they went to school. The drug companies that fund these schools prey on the ignorance and end up making a lot of money on this problem. You can get rid eczema forever and it only takes a few months.

If you are not getting good sleep at night ( 1 - 2 REM sleep periods ), this will not allow your adrenal glands to recharge properly and cause them to not work properly.

You need to eliminate ALL hydrogenated oils and especially genetically modified oils like Canola & Soybean. These are all being genetically altered and wreak havoc with your bodies immune system and fat digestion. Don’t be like a lot of uninformed Americans that eat these “vegetable” oils that are creating huge digestive problems.

Your liver and gall bladder need to be taken care of because if they are not working properly, you will not digest your fats correctly and this will cause the problem. Drugs like the Prednisone will damage your liver and the Magnesium Stearate they put in the tablets will suppress your immune system. If you are eating a diet high in carbohydrates and low in fats, this is a big problem because the low fat diet will cause the bile in your gall bladder to become very viscous and not work properly, hence, not digest your fats properly. You need a diet that is balanced at 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 30% fats to be healthy.

If you are a woman (you didn't say), and had an episiotomy when you gave child birth, this could play a big role in this problem because the scar from the episiotomy will reflex to your adrenal glands and reduce the energy to a point where they won't work properly and cause this problem.

To correct the Eczema problem, if it were me, I would do the following and expect results very quickly.

Stop all medications, but make sure any steroids you have taken or are taking is slowly eliminated if you are taking these. Once you have stopped them, you are going to have to deal with lots of other digestive issues they have messed up.

Buy some "pink sea-salt." This is salt that contains minerals and other ingredients that will help your problem. Take at least 1/2 teaspoon of this per day.

Any drugs you have taken, killed your intestinal flora and you have Candida Albicans (yeast problem) that you are now going to have to deal with. This has stopped your body from producing “B” vitamins naturally. If you are itching, getting styes, ringworm, etc. this is most likely a good reason for this. It's not enough to take B vitamin pills to fix this, it won't, especially if you get the “B” Vitamins in a tablet from from drug stores or health food stores. You need to eat lots of fermented foods, like keifer, sauerkraut, miso (a good brand is Yamabuki), yogurt, etc.

I stongly suggest you go to this web site: www.healthline.cc (not the .com healthline site, it is bogus) or call them at: (800) 370 - 3447 and order the "Max Stress B" product. I would take 1/4 teaspoon day one, and then increase it daily up to 2 teaspoons after one week. This is a very potent form of “B” Vitamin source that contains the "end chain" B's and is highly assimilated by the body. This will stop any itching you may have also within a couple days.

I would also purchase from the same company a product called Adrenal Complex. I would take 9 of these at breakfast each day. I know it sounds like a lot, but you need these herbs to go to work on your deficiencies.

If you follow this routine, you should be over the Ecxema problem within about 2 months and it should not return.

I would also change my diet to heavy omega 3 fatty acid foods such as WILD fish (not farm raised), Beef from grass fed cows (very high in omega 3 fatty acids), unlike the high omega 6 fatty acid garbage beef from grain fed cows sold in commercial grocery stores, flax seed products. Eliminate sugars, especially sodas (even diet sodas), white flour breads. This feeds the Candida and the phosphoric acid in the sodas is binding the calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, etc. preventing absorption.

I would also purchase from that company the Betaine HCL and HCL activator, as well as the digestive enzyme and take 2 to 3 Betaine HCL and 1 to 2 activators and take after each meal, and one digestive enzyme with each meal. I would also purchase the probiotic and take one in the morning and one at night. I would take it with keifer milk. You can take this even if you are lactose intolerant.

All this will change your life and you should not ever have to deal with that Eczema again. It really works. Then when you are cured, tell your doctor and educate him on how the body works. I hope he appreciates the advice, because you will not be going to him for medications and his services anymore for this problem.

good luck to you
Source(s):
CNT, B.A. biology & chemistry
advanced nutritional research

* 1 year ago
******************

This makes so much sense to me as I do not get much sleep at night - I go to bed too late and I have an elderly cat wakes me up at night with her meowing (I still love her - now if a human being woke me up three time that would be a different story :-)) Then I get up earlly and work out - run six miles - I think I may have burned out my adrenal glands and compromised my immune system. Plus if you read up on yeast overgroth I have read that it can cause massive congestion in the eye are as well as the sinuses and ears.

I can tell you since I have eliminated the yeast sugar and dairy I am doing great. Also I read another correlation which leads me to a yeast overgrowth - My twitching eyelids are due to a Vitamin B deficiency which  the yeast is robbing from me.

Wishing everyone well on this forum. :-).

hi guys,
i am so glad i've found you.
i've had the SAME THING on one eye lid for about 3 weeks now- and it has progressively gotten worse and worse. yesterday it felt so tight and on fire i wanted to scratch my eye until it fell out.
i have found one cream though that has MAssively reduced the swelling and the itch.
it's neal's yard, rose and almond night cream.
i tried E45 which i'm quite sure made it worse, bio oil which definitely made it MUCH worse.
all moisturisers have made my eye feel on fire...
at least the neal's yard has stopped the aggrivation, but my eye-lid, too is drooping and looks really aged.
when all the irritation has gone i might keep rubbing Vit E oil in.

i think the key is, only use seriously emoilient and natural stuff. def keep away from anything anti-aging.

i think mine was triggered by stress and a change in facewash- but i'll never know.
i've had it once before and it came up when i was particularly stressed and seemed to disappear on its own.
anyway- try the neals yard cream. it's working for me.
I posted on the other thread about dry red swollen itchy eye and just saw this one.

I believe this is all bacteria/fungus related.

I posted about this on the other so I wont go into detail other than to say I cured this problem with my 17 yr old son with organic apple cider vinegar and coconut oil.  Both have properties that kill bacteria/fungus.  

My SON IS CURED.

Its been amazing.  Stinks but works.  Will continue use until basketball season is over since it seems the sweat started it.

good luck all.  try the vinegar
Thanks so much for the neem and em--they work great. My swelling on right upper lid is much much better. I got them at at whole foods but natural store probably has them too.  The neem oil smells like peanut butter so mostly use it at night. My dermatologist said the swollen , dry , old looking eyelid was from a fungus similar to dandruff. She said it was sebhoreic dermatitis ( sp? )- and that it can't be cured but only controlled - bummer.  Her prescription did not help but she also said to try T-gel when in the shower-- it burns but helps some. I figured out I was allergic to soy which is in everything! Also may be sensitive to dyes, and not sure about nuts. Still figuring it out. Thanks for the help!
i have been dealing with this crap for the past 8 years!! been to all differant dr's,,,, but seems they dont know sh.. !!!!! yeah they over dose you with prescription drugs!!! red.itchy,swollen,dry eye's is just unbearable.....gonna try the neem and egyptian magic..hope to god it will do some good!!!! i can't take this anymore....i can relate to every-ones comments,,, even as i type this my eyes are driving me crazzzzzzzzy.............itching  errrrrrrrrr
I went to see my friend who owns a health shop (mostly vitamins/supplements/beauty products). I caved in and bought the Neem oil out of pure desperation because I feel so bad and just wanna pull my eyeballs out. I couldn't sleep because the Neem smelled so bad...seriously I nearly vomited. I ended up putting Vicks under my nose to drown out the smell. I am also starting a vitamin supplement - something I haven't done before and he put me on some extra Vitamin D. We as a society just don't get enough sunlight! I will let y'all know what happens. I am OVER IT -- just like you guys!
I bought neem seed oil yesterday and tried it for thre first time last night.  At first it felt OK, but within a couple of minutes  my eyelids starting burning.  I had to take it off....couldn't take it.  Was I supposed to dilute it or something?  I'll try the vinegar tonight.  thanks,
As with anything, always try a new product, in this case the vinegar, on a small, small, area before using it on the entire area, to see if there is any reaction.

My son said the vinegar stung the first time pretty good but nothing after that.

It makes sense, the vinegar changes the ph level on the skin.

He is still having success, but we have not stopped using the vinegar.  After the first two application his eyelids got scaley, or peeled a litte, which we then used the coconut oil on, but now its all clear.  They looked slightly red after the basketball game (sweat always irritated it) but we have avoided a full outbreak since starting the vinegar.  Thank God!
I am so thankful for everyone who comes here to offer their comments/advice.  My problems started over 2 months ago with my eyes itching and watering.  I would wake up in the morning with my eyes practically glued shut.  I tried the hot compresses, which felt good for a little while, but then the itching and watering would return.  After about a week of trying to deal with this, I made an appointment with my eye doctor. He diagnosed me with Blepharitis and gave me a precription for AzaSite antibiotic and told me to clean my eyelids with OcuSoft eyelid scrub twice a day, continue the hot compresses and use the AzaSite before bed.  My eyes did improve a little, but after a month, they were still not back to normal.  And, the wrinkles everyone talks about Yikes !!, they make you look 20 years older.  They had not gone away.  I had a regular eye checkup appointment, so I consulted with him again about the Bleph.  He said maybe it was an allergy, and to stop the antibiotic.  He gave me a sample of Pataday drops, told me to use an over the counter cortizone cream and to also use Zyrtec.  The Pataday drops did nothing, maybe even made my eyes worse.  The Zyrtec, at least kept my eyes from watering so much and the cortizone cream seemed to work a little, but I worried about using it on my eyelids for very long.  I was also using Vaseline to keep my eyelids from itching so much.  The Vaseline works, but is heavy and makes you look like a freak, so I tried not to use it when going out, but then my eyes would run and itch. The drainage from this is very sticky, which is why they tell you to soak your eyes with the hot compresses.  When this sticky stuff dries on your eyelids, I believe that's what causes the eyelids to wrinkle.

I bought some Egyptian Magic at Whole Foods and I love it.  It replaced the Vaseline, was greasy, but less so and you can rub it in.  Then, I was talking to a friend, who had the same problem a couple of months before.  She had been diagnosed with allergies at an urgent care place, and given the Pataday drops which didn't work for her either.  She finally went to her eye doctor and he diagnosed her with Bleph and gave her a prescription for Tobradex ointment (antibiotic/steroid).  She said she had relief in the first 24 hours and was able to begin wearing makeup again in a week.  

I called my eye doctor back and told him the Pataday was not working and told him about my friend and could he prescribe me the Tobradex.  He called in a prescription for Tobramycin drops.  I was to use them 4 times a day for 10 days, which I have done.  I am on my 8th day and my eyes are back to normal.  My eye balls were slightly pink, so the antibiotic has fixed that.  I still use the hot compress in the morning and at night and I still clean my eyelids.  I have changed to Steri Lid and like it much better than the OcuSoft.  

My fear is that I'll finish the antibiotic and the problem will come back.   I will continue to clean my eyelids, just in case it is Blepharitis.  It's very frustrating to deal with something like this and very expensive if you don't have insurance.  We have a high deductable, so we pay for all our medications and office visits.  After reading all the posts, I don't think there is just one solution for this or even one diagnosis.  It seems like some of the posters really do have allergies and some have some form of contact dermatitis and some truely have Blepharitis.  I will let you know if I am "cured" when I finish the treatment.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Hey again, I still haven't been using the neem oil after that first night, but I've been rubbing ACV on my eyelids at night.  I then am using the EMU oil stick I ordered that someone had mentioned earlier.  My eyelids aren't completely clear, but somewhat better.  I know I don't have the blepharitis because the symptoms don't match up.  No crusty eyelashes, etc.....just itchy eyelids that become red, swollen, cracked and then peel.  But again, things are a little better.  It doesn't happen all the time anyway so I'm curious when and if this will come back.  Oh, and it usually affects my right eye much more!....I may try the egyptian magic soon also.  Sounds like it's good for a lot of things.  Good luck everyone else!
I read through all the comments last week, thanks for all the postings. The tips I followed were: using neem oil, taking oil of oregano daily, and NOT using aquaphor or vaseline since it just traps the dryness and does not let the skin breathe.

My eyes started about 3 months ago and it was definitely pink eye since my eye balls were so swollen and red. Then after that it just never healed well and I started getting all the symptoms that everyone is describing: watery eyes, crazy itchy, swollen lower and upper eye lids, wrinkles that make me look 100 yrs old, and the skin is really pink and dark on top of that. I also have a life-long history of allergies, eczema, and sensitive eyes. (I am female, 24 yrs old)

I finally went to urgent care 2 weeks ago and of course I was diagnosed with blepharitis. My eyes were so bad that it looked like I was stung by a bee on both eyes. I was given an oral steroid (Prednisone) for 5 days. After my first dose my eyes literally got 90% better. Then after the last dose I looked normal again and my eyes did not even itch.

BUT also the things I did during the 5 days was: washing my eyes 2-3+ times a day with Aveeno baby shampoo, then applying Eucerine cream on both eyelids to keep it moisturized after each wash and throughout the day. I found Eucerine to be the best thing to put on my eyes because the vaseline and greasy formulas like that did not moisturize and did not help. Aveeno lotion also helped but Eucerine did not sting and lasted longer. (I noticed a SIGNIFICANT, almost instant improvement when I stopped using vaseline/aquaphor and switched to Eucerine cream).

But after the Prednisone wore off my eyes got a little pink/dark under the eyes again and slightly itchy. So I purchased neem oil and oil of oregano gel capsules. The neem oil was so oddly scented that I only used it twice, so I am not sure if it helped, but I really do believe that it was the oil of oregano gel capsules. I think we all have been doing all we can on the outside but I never tried anything internally (besides continuing to take Zyrtex daily for allergies).

Someone mentioned a fungus. I really think that is what caused all this for me because since I have been taking the oil of oregano I am better. Currently, I look 100% better and feel better. I think it was a combo of the Prednisone to control the symptoms and swelling, cleaning my eyes, using Eucerine cream around my eyes, and the oil of oregano. I was such a wreck before, my eyes were horrific, felt terrible, and I looked like a scarey old wrinkled person. It is so weird we all have the same symptoms but doctors can't seem to nail down the cause or a proper treatment.

I'm so thankful to have found this forum...I've never dealt with anything this frustrating!!  Eye doc said it wasn't blepharitis and  gave me the steroid cream and some antibiotic ointment, which helped at first and now it's recurring.  I'm going to look for the neem and Eqyptian Magic and try them.  Someone mentioned tea tree oil or cream...has anyone tried that?  I don't know how it would work around eyes, but I know it's a natural antifungal and antiseptic.  Thanks to everyone for giving their suggestions...I, too, had no idea this was something so many people deal with.  At least now I'm hopeful that some of the ideas I've found here will help.
I have EXACTLY the same thing - red, swollen, itchy, peeling eyelids.  It came on suddenly about 3 months ago, and I've been through the same process as everyone, trying to figure it out WTF it is!  What a circus that can be, and it was such a relief to me to find this site and see that I was not alone (misery loves company, eh?). The real breakthrough for me was when I found some medical articles pertaining to reactions to cocamidopropyl betaine (CAPB) and dermatitis (google eyelid dematitis).  Seems that CAPB can cause specific eyelid dermatitis that's just like what I seem to have.  I always was wondering if I have sebborheic dermatitis like my doc says, then why isn't it everywhere or at least other places?  CAPB is in EVERYTHING, especially if you like the "natural" products.  CAPB is a "mild" foaming agent that is used to replace the -laureth sulfate family.  Check your shampoo, hand soaps, shaving lotion, eye makeup remover, etc.
So, after ditching all products with CAPB and quarantining my eyes (no touching them for ANY reason - use a q-tip if you need to scratch!  It can cause problems even if it's on your hands from something else and you touch your eyes), and using only one product for moisturizing (I ended up with Emu-gency stick - it's like a big chapstick, so I don't need fingers, and it feels really nice on my sad eyelids - just find something that doesn't sting or irritate the already compromised skin), and really really being careful in the shower not to let any shampoo (check ingredients!) or conditioner flow towards my face and wash my hands after that with a safe soap, things are MUCH MUCH better.  The redness is almost gone, the peeling has slowed way down, and almost no swelling when I woke up this morning.  WHAT A RELIEF.  
Don't know if this is the cure for everyone because one person's experience is hardly statiscally relevant, but maybe there's something to this CAPB stuff that needs to be checked out.

Good luck everyone!
I have been using the same shampoo and face wash for over 5 years both which contain cocamidopropyl betaine as a main ingredient.  I have been suffering from your same eyelid condition for over 6 months now but have never had any previous allergies or conditions related to this facewash or shampoo.  Is it possible to develop an allergy to cocamidopropyl betaine even though I have previously never had any issues with it?  Also what shampoo and facewash can you recommend for me?  Also what moisturizer is good with a spf that doesn't contain this ingredient.  Thank you.  
I have discovered that I am allergic to Soy and my symptoms have been better since I have been off of all soy products. The neem smells like rotten peanut butter but I use it at
night and the EM is soothing and wonderful. I may try the emu stick too. Also going to start a no fungus diet with no sugar, etc. and get more D, C and B. I am also thinking of getting a sun lamp since it is better in the summer when in the sun.
I have lost 7 lbs since off soy since it is in most prepared foods like cookies, candy and granola bars.  Still not sure if there are other triggers but will start reading ingredients on shampoos etc.
At least for now it is somewhat under control and if I do have a flare up I use a tiny bit of cortisone cream ( which I know is not good to do) but that reduced swelling very quickly.
Good luck to all of you -- this is such a frustrating thing to deal with!
I had the same condition for 4 years and tried everything everyone listed on this site.  My allergist, dermatologist, optomitrist, and opthamologist told me there was no way to diagnose it and recommended steroid drops and creams.  Finally, I was recommended to another dermatologist.  She suspected it was contact dermatitis and conducted a 90-patch allergy test over a period of 5 days on my back.  The result: an allergy to propylene glycol, a chemical which was in everything from my face cleaner (Cetaphil), body lotions, and makeup.  I stopped using anything with propylene glycol 9 months ago and have been free of the horrible, scaly, wrinkley, puffy, red eyes that plagued me for so long.  Don't give up!  If your doctor isn't helpful and is more interested in giving you a prescription than finding out the cause, find another one!
My son skipped three days of using the vinegar and he didnt tell me he quit.  He thought since it was doing so good he could stop.  well the red itchy started coming back and I was all worried again.

He finally admitted he had stopped using the vinegar so he started again and it was all gone.  Again, it seems when he sweats its the worse. But praise God the vinegar is working.

I told him to continue using it until basketball season is over then we can try stopping.
Hi those of you who are using vinegar, are you ingesting it or using it topically?

thanks!
jen
Hi All,

PLEASE do yourself a favour and go buy some Dr Hauscka Eye Contour Balm.  I'm a 26y.o female that started getting red, puffy, scaly eyelids about 8 weeks ago and tried heaps of different things (moisturiser, pawpaw salve, warm compresses, tea tree oil, hydrocortisone [which worked until I stopped using it] but nothing would work permanently or stop it from getting worse. Then  I read on here about Dr Hauschka's Eye Contour Balm. I got some on Saturday and it's Thursday now and it has COMPLETELY cleared up my eyelids - I seriously cannot believe it, even the wrinkles under my eyes and the extra folds of skin on my eyelids that were caused from whatever it was I had are gone.

I'm pretty sure my symptoms were caused by my make-up which I stopped using at the same time the symtoms started but they still wouldn't go away. As people have mentioned previously, the Dr H balm has neem oil in which has antifungal and antibacterial properties but when mixed with the other ingredients in the Dr H balm it's not as harsh on your skin (and delicate eyelids). ALSO, try to get at least 20 minutes of sun a day; I've been doing that too and I'm sure it's helped as well as before that I wasn't even getting 20 minutes of sun a week!

The Dr H Balm is pretty exxy at 25 pounds or around $40-50 US and Australian dollars but it is SO worth it if it does the trick, especially if you think your symptoms stem from bacteria.

And also, stay away from hydrocortisone if you can help it, it will do permanent damage to your skin if you use it for long periods of time.

Hope this helps!

I am curious...does anyone else have itchy red patches anywhere esle? I have developed a couple on my chin and now a few on my neck. Also of course on my eyelids, but also extending out beyond the lids. (yesterday my brother told me I look like I am wearing red eyeshadow!) My problem is especially bad right now and it is very cold where I live. Anyone else notice this weather correlation? I am wondeing if this is the oh so generic skin condition eczema. I am finally breaking down and going to the doc. I'll keep you posted.
My husband does injest the vinegar for blood pressure but no, my son is not injesting it he is putting it on topically.

But it is Organic Applecider Vinegar with the Mother
It's been a week since I quit using the Tobramyacin (antibiotic steroid) and my itchy eyes are back.  The eye doctor wants to see me again, but I feel like, what's the use !  My neighbor gave me a little of her tea tree oil and I have been using that for two days.  The good news is that it's not as bad as it was before the antibiotic and the tea tree oil seems to be helping some.  I put it on with a Qtip right above my lashes, top and bottom.  Tomorrow I will go to Whole Foods and get my own bottle.  At least my eyes are not watering this time (knocking on wood).  I am still soaking my eyes twice a day and cleaning them with Steri Lid.  I also use the EM on my lids at night.  If I can't get this under control myself, I guess my next step will be a dermatologist.  Am thinking about picking up some Organic Apple Cider Vinegar too.  I Googled it and it sounds like it could help a variety of things.
Oh boy is vinegar good.  I am never without it.  Check out earthclinic.com they have a huge section on the benefits of ACV.  (they don't sell any product, hope I am allowed to put that on here)
I believe it was last year for me when I woke up for the fist time with itchy, swollen, red eyelids. I thought it might be some of my eye makeup so I stoped using it even though I do promotions and wasn't to happy about going to work with no makeup on. It didn't help at all.  Finally it had stopped and I had no idea what made it stop but it just started coming back again and I think I figured it out!!! It seems as though the cold weather in the winter time is activating it!!! Try to think back at when yours started and let me know if it's the same!!!
                                 Thanks,
                                         Nicole M.
I wish someone could explain WHY products you've been using for years all of a sudden cause problems.  That's what happened to me too.  I think something, or a combination of somethings must trigger the skin to react, and once it does, it's difficult to stop.
  I found in combination with elimating products with cocamidopropyl betaine (you asked about facewash - check out Aubrey Organics line - they don't have any foaming agents at all and they make great chemical-free shampoo too) I got a lot better.  I am finding a few other things like tea tree oil and urea also cause irritation so I am pretty much in favor of using only minimal products so I don't keep having to wonder which ingredient did it.  I suppose I should go see a dermatologist and have the allergy patch tests done.  I did end up using low-dose hydrocortisone cream for a couple days to break the inflammation cycle and the redness and swelling didn't come back like it did the first time I tried it.  I think you just have to be a good detective and pay attention to what works and doesn't work for you... and don't give up, because there is a reason!
Thank's, I went to Whole Foods yesterday and found the apple cider vinegar (with mother) and also picked up my own tea tree oil.  I have not used the vinegar on my eyelids because it's my lash line that is slightly swollen and itchy.  I have started taking about a tablespoon of the vinegar with some V8 juice daily, after reading about the benefits.  So far the tea tree oil seems to be working, although it is very drying.  I bought Jason's and it seems to be much stronger than the oil my neighbor gave me.  At least my eyes are not tearing like before.

nikim00n, mine started about 2 1/2 months ago, so I don't think it's the weather.  In fact, the cool air seems to soothe it a little.  I live in NC, so it doesn't get really cold here.
I went to the health food store and bought neem lotion and neem leaves in capsule form. I take 2 capsules twice a day and apply the lotion to my eyelids. It has helped alot but do the wrinkles ever go away after the eyelids have been swollen? From what I understand it is from a fungal infection and neem has anti fungal properties. Also put on vaseline after you put on neem this will help drown out the fungal infection before you go to sleep.
I have read quite a few of the posts on here and it sounds like this is the same thing I am suffering with...PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!...I'm only 22 years old and I of course want nice skin...my eyelids are so red on both the top and the bottom..so red it looks like I am wearing red eyeshadow and underneath is so red that I look very tired..they are very very dry and sometimes a little cracked..so sometimes putting stuff on my eyes (like lotions or whatever) pinches..some mornings (like this one) my eyelids feel tight and they are really puffy...I don't know what else to do..I have changed pretty much all of my make up that I can think of (eyeliner and mascara both hypo allergenic)..I'm using Avene eye cream to moisturize but it doesn't seem to be working..tried Avene Diroseal for redness cuz it sounded like it might work...but nothing...I've tried so many different creams and lotions...it looks like I have dark circles under my eyes so I have even used anti dark circle creams thinking maybe that's it but no results...I have talked to the doctor but all they suggested was using baby shampoo and a soft toothbrush to wash around my eyes..but then a cosmetologist told me not to do that...I'm tired of spending all this money and getting no results..i want to get rid of this discomfort and everything as soon as possible..it doesn't look good...I try to cover it up with make up (which maybe isn't helping it but it just looks so bad I have to) but most days that doesn't work or makes it look worse because the concealer stick and foundation makes the dryness show up and then half the time it looks like I'm tired AND old...please help...I'm desperate!!
Read previous post about Neem oil and EM. Are you a carboholic and sugar craver? You sound a lot like my niece that cannot eat a lot of yeast. I used neem oil and it really helped. I have not worn make up as of yet. I use a genlte lotion face wash and scrub very little. I have seasonal allergies and tended to rub my eyes alot, not much anymore. But at that same time, I developed a rash under my ring. I
wear latex glove most of the day at work so I have switched to latex free. I think that could have been part of the problem. I know that Bare Essecentuals made my face itch so I stopped using that. Good luck!
Thanks for this site! I have had this problem..started as redness and super swelling ( eyes were slits) then when it subsided my eyes were like deflated balloons and not 20 but went from looking like a "young" 50 to 80!..thakfully it slowly improved but the corners of my eyes still kept the sagginess and folds on the upper. Alsos, not mentioned too much here, after several big breakouts and the itcyness and scale started I developed rather permanent discolration, a deep re/browm circle on upper lids deemd to want to stay. This has only been goin on for abot 4 months but the damage is terrible. I tried the aller4gy meds internal and topical, vit E ( WHICH SEEMED TO BE THE MOST aggrevvating of all, in fact after that the real problems began, up till then I was making progress..boy, this just made it go crazy..maybe smothering it so it could not breath? anyway the only thing to calm it down was prednisone. After it calmed down and most of the swelliung and wrinlkles eased away I was SO HAPPY! after a week of prednisone I quit ( I truly hate the stuff but it was out of control and I was despereate) I tmaybe things would keep  improving but alas, another episode slowly crept up and within 4 days I was in trouble again so immediately started the prednison ( I know I know no one needs to tell me the downside it is just the upside seems the best of 2 evils) so it never became super swollen and horrible but still itchy, wrinkly in the inside corners and the discoloration is pronounced. I have run thru the internal and extenal irritants and haven't come up with anything. I have never had an allergy or skin problem before, never even had acne. I thought I could kick this but now I am on my knees so plan to try the NEEM and Em just a little scared due to the horrific side effects I had with Vit E ( which seemed like such a good idea and I have LOVED Vit E for so many things thru the years it has been a miracle for everything else)  I am afraid I might "smother" the eyes and get another horrific reaction like I did and I hope to never let it get that bad again If I can at all avoid it. The damage is so deep I am not sure I will ever fully recover but I have made progess I hope I can maintain. But I am not going to be doomed to prednisone so after this flare up I MUST find something I can live with. This site has made me feel "understood" as my spouse and family think it will all "go away" and "isn't that bad" ( mostly trying to make me feel better, they know it is "that bad") but call it vanity or whatever, I will not go in public easily with this when it is red scaly and itching like crazy ( my flare ups itch night and day), at least not without sunglasses if I can at all help it.Your site has given me hope and comfort, the best is I feel we know what we are dealing with even if the solutiuons seem so evasive and varied. Thanks again  
Since I now have this red, itchy nightmare on my eyelids, chin and neck...(It was only on lids for long time...) I have seen 2 docs in the last week. First one thinks its seb. derm and fungal. I tried the apple cider vinegar which helped with the itch but made the rashes redder and seeminly more irritated. I tried ketakonazole anti fungal prescription cream...nothing.(Apparently not fungal)  I also bought the Oil of Oregano pills...nothing. Second doc said she thinks its exzema..an allergy to something. The only thing I have changed is a new shampoo for seb. derm. I will stop using this and see what happens. This is so bizarre...I have never had rashes in my life. I broke down today and put OTC hydrocort. cream on (I swore I never would!!) We'll see what happens. I am trying to get in to a dermatologist. I am sorry for all who are suffering with this....be glad you only have it on your eyelids!
It's been over a week since I checked in and let everyone know of my progress.  I am still putting a warm/hot compress on my eyes twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed.  I then scrub my eyelids and lashes with SteriLid.  I like it so much, I ordered two more bottles from Amazon where it was cheaper.  I then dip a Qtip in diluted tea tree oil (I dilute it in water) and put it along my lash line, being careful not to get it in my eyes.  After this dries for a while, I put EM on my lids and massage it in.  I finally feel like I have this under control.  I have read enough about Blepharitis, that I think it's what I have. After almost 2 weeks of this routine, my wrinkles have gone away.  I am still not wearing any eye shadow or mascara and I may never wear it again.  I'm just glad that I'm able to get through my days without the itching and watering and hoping that I don't have to go to any more doctors.  I'm also relieved that it's not an allergy.

I feel bad for young people with this problem, especially those who have the swollen eyelids, which I think is something other than Blepharitis.  Hang in there and try different things until you hit on one that works.  
Hi!  Just checking in with you all.  I've been virtually symptom free for a while now.  I had one relapse and I attributed it to Cle de Peau concealer.  Bah.  Love the stuff but it's not going anywhere near my eyes again.

Still using EM BUT I threw caution to the wind and tried a sample of Nia 24 eye cream (loaded with niacin B3) I got and I can't rave enough about it.  I was petrified dabbing it on. No reaction and it seems to be restoring the "deflated balloon" appearance I got from this mess. Been using it for a week without problems.  $$$ though.  I just order it from ebay for less.  It's only sold at derms.  Honestly, my eyes haven't looked this good in a very long time.  I always tap a bit of EM over it.

I would not recommend trying it if you're in a full blown episode but if you have it somewhat under control, try it.  Get a sample first.