itchy red swollen eyelids,,,not Blepharitis - please help me!!!!
here i go....so for the last 6 months i have had itchy eyelids...my eye doctor told me it was due to mild allergies and prescribed eye drops which didnt help in the least so i turned to over the counter allergy medicine which hasn't helped either (so i dont think it's allergies) and in the last 3 weeks not only are my eyelids itchy but when i wake up in the morning my upper eye lids are bright red and swelled up so bad that its embarassing!!!! i have switched makeup brands, stopped wearing makeup all together, changed pillowcases religiously, done the compresses, used mild baby shampoo on my eyes to clean them now, i take my vitamins, gone to the dermatologist who again prescribed more allergy medication (hasnt worked) went to an Ophthalmologist who said he didnt think it wasnt blepharitis but really wasnt sure what was going on so he prescribed me bousch & lombs neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment USP to apply to my eyelids which if anything in the last 4 days of using it has actually caused the swelled upper part of my eyelids to burn...typically the swelling goes down thru the day but by the time night hits theyre back to being all swelled up again...im 25 and done as much research as i can...this is literally killing me...(and i hate not wearing makeup!!!) please oh please if you have any ideas of what i may be doing wrong or what i can do to help my poor eyes let me know!!! anything will help at this point!
thanks
~~k~~
Oh thank goodness I have found this site!  I have suffered from this eye problem for two years and I am SICK of it!  Been to an allergist, dermatologist, etc.  Nothing but pricey medications that didn't work.

I am trying to get referred to an opthamologist.

My lower eyelids have been red, itchy, scaly, burning for two years now and I do have daily disposable contacts but only wear them on "special" occasions.  I am sick of my glasses and no makeup...

I just want an answer to my problem, I want to know what it is and hopefully when I do see an opth. they will diagnose me.  Good luck to you all and hope that this widespread problem will eventually find a cure.
What a roller coaster ride this has been!  Just stumbled upon this site and was soooo happy to find others experiencing the same symptoms (red, swollen, itchy eyelids).  I guess it truly is "misery loves company".  I have been struggling with this beast for about a year and can not pin point the cause.  Have been to multiple doc's and got no where.  Haven't worn make-up, have changed out all soaps, detergents, hair products, & cleaning products.  I'm just frustrated!!  This site has at least given me hope and a LOT of different directions to go in.  I'm going to give the NEEM oil a try as so many of you have suggested this.  I will post my progress.  Thanks to all of you for your helpful information.  I now don't feel alone in this quest.
I had really red, puffy, itchy eyelids for a few weeks and I didn't know what to do...I tried putting fresh aloe from a plant on them overnight and I didn't feel any better...then I started applying vaseline on them overnight and after just one night I felt sooo much better. After about a week I am healed.  It is the only thing that works!
I used to have this problem, on and off for over a year, but have finally sorted it out. Two potential causes to consider:

1. Dry eyes. If your eyes do not produce enough lubricant, your tear ducts will produce tears to lubricate your eyes instead and the excess liquid will spill onto the eyelids causing them to become inflamed. An over the counter eye lubricant from the chemist such as hypromellose will sort this out.

2. Allergy. There is something to which you are allergic - the tricky part is establishing what it is. Don't rule out anything you've used for a long time and assume it is a new product - you can become sensitive to things to which you have been exposed for a long time. In my case it was the washing powder/liquid I had been using happily for eight years! While your eyelids are still sore and you are attempting to find relief from the dry itching, Vaseline helps, as does Simple Eye Ointment BP, available over the counter from the chemist (however you may have to use this in moderation - it contains paraffin and I found this made the puffiness worse if used too much - same with baby oil). Olive oil works a treat too, with no side effects - don't laugh - hospitals recommend it for dry skin on newborn babies. Oral anti-histamines and hydrocortisone cream reduce the symptoms and make them easier to live with, but don't cure the problem. To establish the cause, eliminate all perfumed products with which you are in contact: perfume, shower gel, shampoo, moisturiser, cleanser, make up etc - everything you can think of. Use aqueous cream (available in a chemist) as a cleanser and olive oil as a moisturiser. Use baby shampoo and soap in the shower. If your condition improves you know one of these was the culprit - reintroduce one at a time until you find the guilty one and never use it again! If this doesn't resolve the problem, change your washing powder (even if you have been using the same one for years) - switch to one that claims to be hypoallergenic and see if that helps. If not, think about all the other things in your house or work that may be the problem - spray polish, washing up liquid etc. Having established what caused my problem I discovered that I didn't even need to touch an item washed in the washing powder to have a reaction - even the 'fumes' from opening a drawer of clean clothes set it off again or being with someone wearing clothes washed in the same stuff. Good luck with finding what causes yours - it is truly debilitating suffering from this. You'll be pleased to hear that not only are my eyelids mended - and no different from before the problem thankfully, despite all the horrible symptoms, but I sleep much better, can taste food, have loads more energy.
I have an update on my own travails with blepharitis.  It's been a real problem for a couple of years (longer, but more acute over the last two years).  It had been getting worse and worse since the beginning of this year, but now it's mostly GONE AWAY!!!  

I get very little sun and decided to try a Vitamin D supplement with what I thought would be a vain hope of alleviating the problem somewhat since Vitamin D is supposed to be good for your skin.  It couldn't hurt.  I also added Vitamin E.  Within about a week of taking it every day, the blepharitis WENT AWAY and I now only get occasional itchiness (usually if I skip a couple of days with the vitamins), but no red, scaly patches or swelling.  I don't know which one it making the difference, but I strongly suspect it's the Vitamin D.  

Mind you, I also restarted taking other vitamins at the same time, but I've taken the same combinations before on a regular basis without a noticeable difference in the blepharitis.  OTOH, I've had brief remissions before (but never more than a couple of weeks and it never really went away to this degree), so it could be that the overall supplements made a difference and I didn't realize it at the time.  

All I know is that I'm THRILLED to no longer have the red, scaly, swollen patches all over and around my eyelids.  It's been about 6 weeks now, I think, and so far, so good.  It's possible that whatever it is is simply coincidentally in remission, but I don't think so -- not with the way it had gotten so bad over the last few months and how dramatically it has improved in such a short time.  I hadn't realized just how chronically swollen my eyelids had been for so long -- it's like I've lost weight in my eyelids :-)  I had forgotten how thin they could be!

I bought the extra Vitamin D at Whole Foods.  It's Country Life brand "Dry Vitamin D" (1000 I.U.) Vegetarian tablets and I only take one a day (with food).  I don't remember the price (may have been about $10 for 100 tablets), but you KNOW it's cheaper than the prescription meds that don't do any good.  I'm sure any brand Vitamin D (and/or E) supplement would work just as well -- that's just the one I happen to be taking.

I'm a very allergic person who also has chemical sensitivities.  I don't have pets, and   nothing has changed for me except the addition of the Vitamin D and Vitamin E, which is certainly a simple solution.  

I hope this helps someone else out there who is suffering from this annoying, uncomfortable and embarrassing condition!  

I too have been troubled with blepharitis and have tried the baby shampoo eye washes and applying vaseline, also tried using dandruff shampoo.  No help.  I am now trying vaseline alone because it soothes the dry tight skin.  I will also try Vitamin D and stop eating my daily nuts.  Thanks to all for your ideas
I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks now. My left eye just started itching and then it got worse and spread to both eyes. Every moring when i wake up my eyes are so swollen i can barely open them. Then during the day it goes down but my eyelids are all fakey and gross looking. My mom said it looked like i have a terrible disease. My brother said it looked like i got punched. My sister said i looked like an 90 year old lady and I'm only 20!!!! It's so embarassing, i don't like to go anywhere because i don't want people to see me like this! I usually wear make-up so i'm wondering if that may have been the cause but i've been wearing the same kind for a long time. I also just moved into a new apartment and my roommate has a dog so that may be it also. I just want to fix this because its making me feel depressed. I want to try the neem oil but i don't know where to get it. Where can neem oil be purchased?
By the way, thanks everyone for the advice. You saved me a trip to the doctor.
Last december i woke up with dry, itchy swollen eyelids. after talking with my cousin, who had the same problem, she told me to start using organic face wash and eye cream, and it went away within a few days.. about two months ago I thought i would try a new face wash Clearasil Ultra acne clearing gel (I had been using Clearasil cream) and woke up that very next moring with dry itchy swollen eyelids..and nothing I try seems to help. I tryed Nivea cream and it went away for one full day but returned the next morning.. this is so frustrating!!
My problems started last December/January, too.  I, also, used Clearasil vanishing cream.  I discovered on my own that I was allergic/sensitive to most chemicals with propyl in the word (propylene glycol, hydroxypropyl methylcelulose, etc.).  It was in everything - food, makeup, lotion, etc.  I have finally been able to avoid it for a while, but I think I may also be sensitive to benzoyl peroxide, which is why I mentioned the Clearasil above.  I haven't used anything with that in it for a few months either.  Anywho...try to find all natural products and lay off the chemicals for a while.  I use Burt's Bee's and Suki products.  The Dr. Hauschka makeup is good, too.  I just wish it wasn't so expensive.  BE CAREFUL with products that say they're organic or natural...they lie - so read ingredients!  I think everyone has a different cause, so it's just trial and error until you find yours.  Hope this helps...I know how frustrating it can be.  Depressing, too.
I wanted to share my experience with itchy, red, eyelids as well.  I had this problem a year ago and suffered for months before deciding it looked like a yeast rash my kids used to get when they were little.  I tried using a Lotrimin cream on my eyelids and it cleared everything up within 2 days!!.  It was a miracle.
Unfortunately, now the problem is back and the Lotrimin doesn't seem to be working!  It started with one eyelid and has moved to the other now.  I'm thinking it is related to an allergy.  In my case probably a seasonal allergy since it happens the same time of year each time.  I'm going to keep using the Lotrimin and start an antihistamine.  Hopefully, I'll find some relief.  I've found that stopping eyemakeup doesn't help at all for me and actually makes the itching seem worse!!!

I wonder if anyone can help me. My eye problems started yesterday, my eye started to itch around the brow area as well as in the eye and I started sneezing. I didnt think anything of this as it happens quite often so I put some eye drops in and waited for it to subside as it usualy does. The sneezing stopped but my eyes got itchier and itchier as the night went on and after about 2 hours my eyes were really swollen my right eye nearly closed. I took a couple of anti histamines during the evening and it seemed to stop. This morning when I got up I thought that it would be better but no, there is no itching but the right eye is still as swollen and puffy and the left eye is still slightly puffy but not as bad. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this and if it will go down soon.  
Hi, my eyes began bothering me around 10 days ago. They first started tearing alot, especially outdoors. Then they began to get red on the outer corners and a little crusty especially at night and in the am.  Then the eyelids began to feel itchy and red, and it seemed to be my left eye more than the right. I wear make-up every day and decided to give my eyes a rest. I stayed inside for two days studying and did not wear any make-up, because I suspected possibly that my eye liners somehow got contaminated with something. I creeped myself out thinking I had an abundance of dust mites or eyelash lice! I applied vaseline about 3-4 times a day. I felt better. I put make-up on two days ago and did some errands and by the end of the day they felt itchy and red again. I tried to de-contaminate my eye pencil sharpeners and the eye pencil tips with rubbing alcohol. The next day I applied my make-up as usual and didn't seem to have a problem right away. Went for a 45 minute walk with a friend outside in the mid afternoon, by the night time they got red, swollen and itchy. I went to the Dr.s today and she said it was allergies, that there is an abundance of ragweed this year. (I live in the northeast, New England area.) She told me to take Claritan and gave me two eye drop prescriptions. I'm not sure if these treatments will work yet, but will post agin in a couple of days.
Just thought I'd let ya'll know that the two eye drop prescriptions I've been using have worked like a charm for me. My itchy, red, swollen eyelids felt so much better just after 36 hours or so, and now I could say that after just five days they are pretty much back to normal.  Here are the names and doses:

Tobradex (tobramycin and dexamethasone opthalmic suspension USP) 5 mL
               Two drops in eyes four times a day.

Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Opthalmic SuspensionUSP      7.5 mL      One drop in each eye twice a day.
Update - I finally went to the eye doc.  Told him that the diluted baby shampoo scrubs were making my eyes so sore and weepy.  He stopped them and gave me a prescription ointment to smear all over my eye lids and under my eyes and around the skin at the side of my eyes.  After one week they are sooo much better.  I go back to see him next week and fear he will tell me to restart the scrubs.
I HAVE HAD BLEPHARITIS FOR 12YEARS WHAT NIGHTMARE I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN, WITH NOTHING SEEMING TO WORK..MY EYELIDS ARE RED , ITCHY, BURN, AND I HAVE A SENSATION THAT I HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE AT ALL TIMES, CONSTANT DISCHARGE.....
I am so glad I am not alone with this. I have been on and off steroids for the last month. Been to the ER because I woke up and couldn't open my eyes they were so red, sore and swollen. It even started to make my lips dry, swollen and red. In the past month I have tried so many OTC and perscription drugs. What has taken the edge off the itching for me was Zytec, Pepcid and Benadryl taken daily. I am lucky in the fact that Benadryl does not make me tired. It just seems as soon as the steroid are done this comes back in a few days. I will try some of your suggestions. Love looking like I am 100 this wrinkles are terrible
Hi!  I've had red, itchy, and scaly eyes for about 6 months now.  I thought I picked something up from the kids at the school in which I teach.  Some things that have helped me along the way are stop drinking wine.  It might be alcohol all together.  I also have been using a Eucerin cream on my eyelids which has helped a lot.  You can also use a vitamin E liquid.  Do not use vaseline in the sun.  I did this and it made it worst.  I stopped using the steroid creams since it made my eyes wrinkled and aged.  My next step is to go to an allergist and get tested to see what I am allergic to.  Eczema has developed on my body as well throughout it all.  I hope this helps.
hi all, my daughter woke up with her right eye swollen and red, I took her in to the dr's and he gave her Amoxicillin and said that it's an infection, this was yesterday and now tonight b4 she went to sleep, her eye swelled just a bit more and now her left eye is starting to do the same thing.  I'm not sure what I can do to help her right now, i hope that the Amoxicillin works.  I wonder what kind of infection would cause this.
My wife started this about 4 months ago.  All of the symptoms, redness, swelling, irritation, etc. are there.  She is going to stop using the perfume she has been wearing.  In the meantime, preparation H really helps.  Also, I thing we are going to look at trying neem oil.