Aa
A
A
Close
lag surgery for secondary cataract
I had cataract surgery on the right eye in Feb.  I developed CME in the eye and is still in treatment.  I had cataract surgery in the left eye in May.  Three weeks after the surgery  I started to get cloudy vision.  I was put on drops for the eye but after using them for six weeks, I have been told I need lag surgery for the secondary cataract.  I am concerned because I have read that this  can cause a retinal detachment or Macular Edema.   Since I have Macular Edema in the other eye do you feel I should go along with the  lag surgery?
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233488_tn?1310696703
First its "Yag" surgery. Second the risks do include RD and cystoid macular edema (CME). generally the risks are small except in the highly nearsighted or in those with a history of CME.

Discuss this with your Eye MD. What I have done in patients with a history of CME and needing a yag laser capsulotomy is put them on  a steroid drop (pred forte) and a non-steroidal antiinflammatory  (Xibron or Acular) for a week before the Yag and continue it after the yag for about 4-6 weeks. This has proved very effective in preventing CME.

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
233488_tn?1310696703
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I have had a RD and then the cateract surgery 6 months later. Now, it is being recommended to have the Yag procedure - too much risk since I have already had the RD?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I have had a RD and then the cateract surgery 6 months later. Now, it is being recommended to have the Yag procedure - too much risk since I have already had the RD?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
233488_tn?1310696703
No the risks of a recurrent RD after a yag capsulotomy is very very small if your retina ophthalmologist looks at your eye first to be sure that the retina is in firm position.

I just did a yag capsulotomy today on a lady with a previous RD.  I was comfortable and so was her retina surgeon. It helped her.

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
233488_tn?1310696703
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
lag surgery for secondary cataract
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources