Eye Care Community
lag surgery for secondary cataract

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

lag surgery for secondary cataract

I had cataract surgery on the right eye in Feb.  I developed CME in the eye and is still in treatment.  I had cataract surgery in the left eye in May.  Three weeks after the surgery  I started to get cloudy vision.  I was put on drops for the eye but after using them for six weeks, I have been told I need lag surgery for the secondary cataract.  I am concerned because I have read that this  can cause a retinal detachment or Macular Edema.   Since I have Macular Edema in the other eye do you feel I should go along with the  lag surgery?
First its "Yag" surgery. Second the risks do include RD and cystoid macular edema (CME). generally the risks are small except in the highly nearsighted or in those with a history of CME.

Discuss this with your Eye MD. What I have done in patients with a history of CME and needing a yag laser capsulotomy is put them on  a steroid drop (pred forte) and a non-steroidal antiinflammatory  (Xibron or Acular) for a week before the Yag and continue it after the yag for about 4-6 weeks. This has proved very effective in preventing CME.

JCH MD
I have had a RD and then the cateract surgery 6 months later. Now, it is being recommended to have the Yag procedure - too much risk since I have already had the RD?
No the risks of a recurrent RD after a yag capsulotomy is very very small if your retina ophthalmologist looks at your eye first to be sure that the retina is in firm position.

I just did a yag capsulotomy today on a lady with a previous RD.  I was comfortable and so was her retina surgeon. It helped her.

JCH MD