Eye Care Community
larger pupil than the other

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

larger pupil than the other

recently my left pupil became a lot larger than the other, could this be a sign of an anurysm or something bad?

This discussion is related to One pupil bigger than the other.
It could be and should be checked out as soon as possible by a neuroophthalmologist. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
While recently at work my eyes began to be slightly sensitive to light and a strange sensation affecting my sight, very hard to describe.  I went to the restroom to splash my face with some water and noticed in the mirror that my left pupil was larger than my right. I called an eye doctor and they looked at it, however could not find anything of concern that would be causing the symptom other than a very small split in the retina.  He suggested going to a neuro ocular surgeon, but I don't have insurance and cannot afford.  Can you tell me the occurrence of pupil difference of size with sudden oncoming and staying persistent is usually nothing, or something I should be concerned with and spend my money to get it tested? This has never happened before two weeks ago and now is a common occurance.
A split in the retina will not cause pupil dilation.

Since this is now a common occurence it needs to be checked out. See an Neuroophthalmolgist. Take in some picture, full face showing pupils good taken 5 10 and 15 years ago. Do not let the staff put any eye drops in before you are examined by the Eye MD..

Find an Eye near you at www.aao.org  If you have health insurance it will cover it.
JCH MD
I have had uneven pupils for a while now.  [right pupil suddenly became bigger, and stayed that way.]  I have also had vision loss in my left eye.  Went to an Opthalomolgist and he said nothing wrong with my eyes.  Went and got a Cat scan [w/o contrast] which showed nothing.. Went to an neurologist and he said possible pituatary tumor.. I have yet to hear when my MRI is scheduled and this enrages me because I am loosing more and more vision every day!!
xxAmeliaoo  Your problem is not anything like the other people postings. They had unequal pupil size with no loss of vision and no other findings.

Visual loss with dilated pupil is a totally different problem and ultra serious. The causes can be hard to diagnose. Pituitary problems are high on the list.

JCH MD
My son was shot in the eye with a bb gun about three years ago. His eye filled with blood and he was given eye drops... Today, his pupil suddenly is dilated to about 10 cm. The other eye is normal. Even in bright sunlight it remains dilated. Could this be related to his previous injury? He has no other neurological symptoms.
My right pupil has always been larger than my left three months ago I suddenly atarted see floaters and flashes of light, the flashes have stopped. I also noticed my pupils were for the first time the same size, and remain that way now.

I just have the floaters now...saw an eye doctor and he said it should heal itself in 90 to 120 days. I haven't sought another opinion yet. A couple of weeks before this issue started I had a horrible headache  pressure behind ny right eye.

I have no pain maybe a sense of presure from time to time, right pupil has not gone back to its normal size yet. Saw doc in 1st week of Sept now its 1st week in december.
i have the same thing. when ever i get head aches my left pupils increases in size dramatically. it also happens when i smoke pot. its super weird. its kinda fun to creep out my friends tho. but when it happens i can feel like almost a film or pressure on my eye. i dont have bad vision at all but it is a concern of mine. idk whats up. i had a cat scan when i was little and they said nothing was wrong. also when i was littler i would get these "spells" of tunnel vision. every thing would get smaller and shoot outward. it was really weird and simply staring at a t.v. screen or projector would cure it. but i wonder if they have anything in connection? obviously something is up cuz for a while i was getting super bad head aches all the time where i would puke from em. but as i got a little bit older they stoped in frequency but i still get a horrible head ache like once a month. anyone have any ideas?  
Yes my sister is 23 and just recently noticed that one pupil is larger than the other. She just recently saw the eye doctor and he didnt notice it. She has been having headaches along with the weird pupils. She doesnt complain of sensitivity she just gets headaches.
I dont know what to do with her because i dont want it to turn out to be glaucoma or a brain tumor. She also head thyroid cancer and had her thyroid removed if that has any affect on anything. Please help!
She needs to see a neuoophthalmologist. Take in 5-6 pictures over the last 10 years that show well her pupil size, do not wear contacts for 48 hrs if she wears them, do not use visine, murine type eye drops, no not let the techs put in drops before the neuroop;hthalmologist looks at the pupils  This could be due to damage to pupil nerves from the thyroid surgery.

Find eye MD at www.aao.org or at a medical center

JCH MD