Eye Care Expert Forum
liquid coming from eye when blowing nose

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I've never had this happen before, but just couple days ago I blew my nose and liquid came out of my left eye. First time it was like a big tear just pop out of my eyes than later I tried testing by blowing my nose and I can feel the like coming out from the inside. Is this normal? What is causing that? Is my eye going to be okay?
The nasolacrimal duct carries excess tears from the eye into the nose.  If you have a very open system and force pressure back the reverse direction it is possible to eject fluid back up the nasolacrimal duct out onto the eye.  I even saw it done once on Letterman Show.

MJK MD
So is it okay for fluid to eject backward through the tear duct or does it need to be fixed or treated?
Just watch out when blowing nose.  Doesn't need to be treated - it is just a variation of normal.

MJK MD
I have just finished reading about the person blowing their nose and having fluid come out. I started with a cold in October which progressed to asthmatic bronchitis. I still have not fully recovered as I am still coughing and blow my nose frequently. I also wheeze. I too, have fluid coming from the eye when I blow my nose. Should I see my doctor again? Thank you! M.T.