low/normal tension Glaucoma. Question on Progression for Pt under 40
...posted in another forum but thought I would post it here as well...

I was recently diagnosed with low/normal tension Glaucoma.  I'm under 40.  I have 70-80% cupping in my eyes.  It's worse on the left eye.

Lt eye test showed peripheral vision loss with nerve damage in the area that correspondended to the area of peripheral vision loss).

They have not started me on treatment because my pressures were low.  Pressures were never above 15 on multiple test and has been tested as low as 10.  (puff test and the test where they put the flourescent drops in your eye - not sure what that's called).  I actually have to go back for ALL day testing to get an average of my eye pressures.  (goody!)

At any rate, my question is this:

I'm under 40 with evidence of obvious optic nerve damage and loss of peripheral vision.  I know Glaucoma is "supposed" to progress slowly but with my current level of damage, what will progression look like?  Will I progress faster?  How quickly does Glaucoma deteriorate the optic nerve?  I can't find answers on a "timeline", if you will, of progression.

Any thoughts?

BTW - I do have MS and have had 1 -2 courses of steroids per year for the past 10 years - 3 day infusions of 1000mg solumedrol.  Never an episode of Optic Neuritis.  Opthamologist said any increase in IO pressure during/after the steroids probably wouldn't have been sufficient to cause the damage I have....
Low tension glaucoma should be treated.  The IOP should be lowered until there is no progression in damage to the optic nerve.  

Dr. O.