Eye Care Community
lyn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

lyn

my son is 3 and just had an eye test,i have been told he has astigmatism,i was told he had to wear his glasses all the time,for now but that they could correct the problem and he would only need them while he was young,havin read some information on the web im not sure what to do some people say they dont need to wear glasses some say they do and the problem will never go away if the prescription is only a miled one is it best to leave well alone  his prescription is +1.0 +3.25  90,   +1.0 2.0 90 could you please give me your thoughs  thanks one very confused mum .
Hi Mom   First that is not a weak prescription both eyes have over 2 diopters of astigmatism (lopsidedness of the cornea----shaped like an American football rather than a basketball-not round).

The glasses will not correct the astigmatism and make it go away like braces do teeth. It merely clears the vision. If he does have this much astig it could go away as he gets older or it could stay the same or get worse. The main reason for glasses is to help the eyes develop full sight potential and prevent refractive amblyopia which can affect both eyes.

These refractions or glasses tests are very difficult in young children and errors are not uncommon.
I would see a pediatric ophthalmologist MD-physician for a second opinion. If you live in the USA you can find one at www.aao.org  that is near you. If you live outside the USA you can ask your pediatrician for a referral.

JCH IIII MD
thanks for gettin back to me,one more thing if l make him wear his glasses all the time and there has been a mistake will it harm his vision,his eye test was carried out by ophthmologist in the uk.thanks again mum.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Have you noted the childs eyes crossing? Is there a family history of amblyopia (poor vision) or strabismus (misalinged eyes) in any blood relative?

If there was a mistake the glasses could blur the vision just as needing them would be blurred without them.

Is there the opportunity for a second opinion in UK? Is it possible to go outside the NHS and see a private pediatric ophthalmologist at least just for another run at the proper glasses RX?

JCH III MD
the childs eyes are not crossed l was told at the exam that his reflexes and eye muscles were fine, my father had a bad turn in his eye when he was young and had an operation to correct it but he has always wore glasses but no astig,there is probably an opportunity for a second opinion lve made an appointment to see my Gp (family doctor) and l will keep u posted on how l get on thanks again for all your help  mum.
You child then is at an increased risk of amblyopia and strabismus due to your father's history. Hope you can convince your GP to authorize a second opinion.

JCH IIIMD
Your son needs to wear glasses all time so that condition doesn't worsen.More over there is always a chance of getting amblyopia if eye error is not corrected. Amblyopia is vision loss in one or both eyes even when eye problem is corrected with glasses or lenses. My  kid is 4 and already has amblyopia. Am feeling sorry that his problem wasn't detected when he was 1 or 2 years old.
Hope this helps you
=