Eye Care Expert Forum
macula deg.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

macula deg.

I am 21 very myopic >-20. Recently i was diagnosed that my macula in right eye is in the very begining of retinal degeneration. Does it mean it will progress. Is possiible it would stay stable for long time or maybe forever. I am in graphic design school. Should i change my study or career?
The questions you ask are very tough to answer.  Myopic degeneration with the degree of myopia you describe is likely to progress but you can never be sure at what rate or whether it will affect your central vision.  Have a heart to heart with your retina specialist who has actually examined your eyes to see what he/she thinks the prognosis is.  Very important for you to get regular routine retinal exams to catch any changes earlier.

HV