Eye Care Expert Forum
macular degeneration

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

macular degeneration
I have had wet macular degeneration for a number of years, but it has now changed to dry. I have been getting the avastin injections but am told that they don't help for the dry. Is there anything that has been proven to be successful in treating dry AMD?
The only proven treatment for dry macular degeneration we have so far is the antioxidant and mineral supplement demonstrated to be effective in the AREDS (Age-Related Eye Disease Study). This is a combination of Vitamins A, C, and E; Zinc and Copper. Most specialists now also recommend at least 6 mg of Lutein a day, and Omega 3 or fish oil. These supplements usually do not improve vision, but stabilize it and prevent worsening in about 25% of people. Even if your disease is stable and you do not require further intravitreal injections of Avastin, you still need to be monitored carefully by your retina specialist, and should check your central vision daily with an Amsler grid (each eye separately). Also, talk with your doctor about whether you would benefit from a referral to a low vision specialist for visual aids and training.