Eye Care Expert Forum
macular hole

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

macular hole

It's been since April1 when I was diagnosed with a macular hole. It is now between stages 2 & 3. I have read that in 95% of cases these progress to a stage 4, and require treatment ie surgery. But I couldn't find anything giving the average time it takes to progress. And what happens if you don't have the surgery. I am a widow and live alone, I don't know how I would do a face-down recovery. Any info or help you can suggest? This is a very scary thing for me. Thank you for answers.
Dear LLWB,

It is always very difficult on in individual basis for a doctor to predict which patients will progress and which one will not.  It is best if you discuss these questions with your retinal specialist.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California