macular pucker, eye pain, watering?
I have recently been told that I have cellophane maculopathy (pucker) in my right eye. I have not yet been referred to a specialist but I intend to get some names in the Boston area to pursue this even if my regular eye doctor wants to wait and see. I have been complaining of a "dullness" in that eye and decreased close-up vision for some time, though I thought it was just a factor of getting near 50. Over a month ago I had a bout of pain in the right eyebrow and pain in the inner right eye into the right side of the base of the nose, along with watering from that eye. After trips to my regular doctor, antibiotics for possible sinus infection (not the cause), repeated eye exams, I had eye dilation where the pucker was found. The pain and watering seemed to go away for a week or so, but now it is back. I haven't read that the watering eye and brow pain are associated with the pucker. Could it be eye strain from worsening vision in the right eye due to the pucker? It seems to be worse when I spend a lot of time doing detail work or working on the computer. The eye doctor didn't have an answer.

I am really afraid of the continued worsening of the pucker and I wonder how fast this occurs, and if it always occurs. The bulk of my day involves being able to work on small objects, write and use the computer, and I am distressed at the thought of losing those functions. The eye doctor indicated it will probably get worse, though I have read online that it may or may not progress. Not helpful! I am also wondering about the watering and orbit pain on that side. I am very dismayed. :-(
Cellophane retinopathy or macular puckers can be annoying. Many times they do not progress. See a retinal specialist. There is a surgery to remove the membrane overlying the retina causing the puckering which can be very successful. However, there are risks with this surgery--you can damage the retina, cause a cataract, bleeding, etc. Retinal surgeons will usually not touch it unless the visual acuity is significally decreases. The pain and watering has nothing to do with it. Since you have had an eye exam, I would check with an ear nose and throat doctor for the pain--could be sinus.
I guess it is the uncertainty of whether or not this will progress is what is most distressing. There doesn't seem to be any way of knowing. I am definitely calling on Monday to get some names of specialists. Thanks.