Eye Care Community
me too!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

me too!

me too! i do lots of yoga but today, after 30 minutes, i got a headache (mild) and my inner eyelids swelled up and got reddish! i wondered if it was because i was upside down too much? or maybe something about the mat i was using? rubber mat? geesh. weird.

This discussion is related to Swollen eyelids after yoga/ swollen eyelids and top lip after massage(face down).
Yoga or exercise moves that put the eye inverted (think standing on your head) markedly raise the pressure in the eye and the blood pressure inside the brain. It is strongly recommended that glaucoma patients not do this and many MDs recommend people with high blood pressure or a family history of cerebral aneurysms not do this. It will also raise the tissue pressure so I would say you were upside down too long.

JCH MD
I am a fitness instructor teaching yoga and today during yoga my face and eylids swell up.  A class member (also pharmacist) gave me a antihistamine and I went straight to the doctors. I was told it was an allergic reaction and given a perscription for antihistamine.
I did expect to wake today and the swelling be gone but it isn't.  My face feels tender to touch and is tingly. I have been back to the doctor today and she as assured me it is an allergy and to give it time to ease, keep taking the tablets.  I am interested in the reaction to inversions in yoga theory though.  Could it be that or did that speed up the allergic reaction that was enevitable anyway.  
My blood pressure was checked at the first visit and was perfect. There is family history of glaucoma (distant), high bp (father), and heart disease (grandad).  I do suffer anemia, have just recovered from a chest and ear infection, and in jan/feb suffered 3 bouts of cystitus.  The doc is sending me for blood count test etc too.
Any thoeries anyone?????????????
I am worried the swelling will not go and if it does will it return next week when I teach yoga again??
You will need to work with your MDs on the many causes of allergies. Also note that people with glaucoma, ocular hypertension and a tendency for glaucoma are advised not to stand on their heads as it raises the IOP markedly.

JCH MD
Last night, after a massage (both seated and lying down--face down), my eyelids and surrounding areas swelled, in addition to my upper lip!  I've never had this happen to me before.  After reading this forum, I am wondering what the real cause is.  I stayed home from work today because my allergist told me over the phone to take antihistamines.  I've been doing so--every 4 hours--yet, the swelling is taking more than 24 hours to go down!  

I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary last night.  Any feedback as to whether I should be alarmed by the swelling or not?
Has anyone figured out this problem?  I had to stop getting massages because of this occurring.  And today I tried hot yoga for the first time and it happened again!  I'm not on any meds, and I have no idea what's going on.... thanks for any info any of you may found.
Hi, I just had a massage and experienced swelling of my face - mostly lips but also cheeks and eye-lids. I've had this before but not as bad. It's also similar to an itchy hand thing I get from time to time. How long did it take for your swelling to go down? Any idea now of the cause?
Regards,
Mark
this happens to me as well, once  my entire face, eyes and lip especially swelled horribly after face down massage, when I do yoga inverted positions I feel my lip start and this morning my eyes are still puffy (by bridge of nose esp. I dont keep my face in the donut thing and when I feel my lip starting I wont allow the massage in that posistion to continue much monger. I also dont stay in inverted positions of yoga long when I feel it anymore either. I am surprised with others having this, nothing other than allergy is mentioned, it obviously due to dependant nature of these 2 activities but why? I read thyroid could be a prob so i will talk to me doctor.