Eye Care Expert Forum
mole on retina

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

mole on retina
I had an "optimap" done and they found a mole on my retina or as they called it "a freckle".
The eye doctor told me that I would have to watch it as I would any other mole on my body for any changes.  Should I have any further concerns?
The majority of "optimap" users in the US are optometrists that are non-physician, non-MD, limited eye care providers. If it was an optom that checked you make an appoint ment with a MD eye physician ophthalmologist for a real medical exam, perhaps a picture will be taken.

By seeing an MD eye doctor your health insurance will normally cover the exam and any necessary tests.

The great majority of these are benign and require no treatment. You can find an eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH III MD