Eye Care Expert Forum
momentary loss of vision one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

momentary loss of vision one eye

I was making a grilled cheese sandwich when my vision blurred. I took my glasses off and covered my left eye, my right eye had only a small circle of vision in the center surrounded by a blurry white cloud, this lasted 2 or 3 minutes, then vision returned starting at the top and receding to the inside corner of the eye. I'm not working and don't have medical insurance so I hope this isn't serious but I know it is.
Two possibilities are a transient ischemic attack (sometimes lasting 10-15 seconds or a minute or two)  and visual migraine (which typically last 15 minutes or so.)  Visual migraines often have zig-zag lines or wavy lines and a rainbow type aura around the edges and a headache often doesn't occur.

Transient ischemic attacks with transient vision loss in one eye is called amarosis fugax and is not as colorful or interesting to look at but may cause a graying out or blacking out of just one eye and it may come from the top down like a shade coming over the eye but then returning to normal after a few seconds or minutes.  

I tell people that amarosis fugax takes the vision away or grays it out or blacks it out.  Visual migraines just add a light show or visual distortion OVER the vision you usually have. It is something ADDED to your vision not taken away.

Either way, you should have it checked out by an ophthalmologist right away and if any symptoms of a transient ischemic attack you should go the the emergency room.

1 Comment
Blind spots in vision when turning head. I'm a 19yr old white british female and i've been having trouble over the last month or so with my eyesight. When i concentrate on an object and turn my head away from it, keeping my eye fixed on it, i see a big grey/black spot in my field of vision in both eyes like a pressure spot. Its like when you push gently in one corner of your eye and you see a black spot in the opposite corner. On waking a few days ago, i was almost completely blind in my right eye, it was like the pressure spots i explained but at the top, bottom, side and partially in the centre of my vision. It was so scary. I also had slight eye pain and my eye looked bloodshot and deflated like a prune and looked like some of the fluid had drained out. I know you should'nt touch the eyeball itself but on touching it, it felt squishy with no "bounce back." this resolved itself within half an hour. I've recently been to the opticians to ask about the blind spots a few days before this happened because i was worried about glaucoma and they did pressure tests and took internal pictures but they could'nt find anything wrong. They did prescribe me weak glasses for reading and stuff but they couldn't explain the blind patches. Do you think this could be a neurological problem such as a brain tumor? Please help, im really scared and worried about what this might be. Any ideas welcome. Thankyou.