Eye Care Community
monfit vs. distance lens for quilting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

monfit vs. distance lens for quilting

I just had  one cataract removed two weeks ago and was fitted with a distance lens.  My vision is terrific but the imbalance now is unacceptable so I will be getting surgery in my left eye soon.  But I can't decide whether to go the monofit route or get another  lens for distance. I do a fair amount of work with the computer and read a lot.   I am a quilter and am really concerned about how difficult it will be to use the sewing machine.  I had a tear in the vitreous last summer and had a vitrectomy in Dec. which apparently hastened the onset of the cataract.  My vision has been poor and fluctuating for the past year.   I'm also extremely near-sighted, which is a contribuing factor to the tear in the vitreous.  My main question is:  will monofit allow me to quilt or should I plan on two distance lens with glasses for close work?

This discussion is related to Mono vs Multifocal Cataract.
Remember by definition "monovision" is an imbalance of the eyes (one eye distance, one eye near). If you are bothered by this now you would NOT be a good candidate. In my patients what I would recommend is leaving the second eye slightly myopic (assuming the first eye doesn't require andy glasses for distance) of about -1.25 diopters and plan on wearing glasses for reading and quilting (progressive no lines). This is a very happy option for most people and allows things like puttting on make up/shaving in men without glasses.

My wife is a champion quilter and I can't tell you how many quilt show's I've gone to in my life. I've come to appreciate how beautiful a well made quilt is and that quilters are almost universily very pleasant people to  be around.

Good luck.

JCH MD
I currently have two IOLs set for distance, and I used to do monovision with contacts, so I have experienced both options.  I totally agree with the the advice that Dr. Hagan has given you.  It will let you lose your glasses in many situations, and you should have excellent vision (with glasses) for quilting.  BTW, with one eye near plano and the other extremely nearsighted, what you have is nothing like monovision.  It's just badly imbalanced vision that would a problem for anybody.  
-
   Dr Hagan 's suggestion is great...I have just posted some answers to others based on my own experiences and belive me I was EXTREMELY near sighted....-20....have a look my posts and the excellent advice from all....
-