monovision lenses and dominant eye
I had cataract surgery in my left eye and the Tecnis multifocal lens was implanted.  It has not worked out for me. I have only distance vision, with ghosting, halos, and general blurriness at intermediate and near vision.  I even got glasses for the computer, and the ghosting and halos are still there with the Tecnis.  Also, I can see several white rings which interfere with my vision whenever I'm in low light (nighttime, elevators, inside stores, etc) if there is a light source at the side or coming from above, which there usually is.

So I'm having it explanted. I'd like to have monovision lenses(I have to get my right eye done too), but I keep reading that the dominant eye should be set for distance.  My dominant eye is my right eye, and that's the eye that has always had near vision (my reading eye; it has always focused clearly at about 12 inches; past 24 inches things are very blurry).  The doctor noticed that when I try to focus on something in the distance, my right eye turns out, which I've read is what the non-dominant eye does (but again, my right eye is my dominant eye).  When I focus on something near with this Tecnis lens in my left eye, my left eye turns out, I assume because it can't focus up close just like my right eye can't focus far off.  I don't know what my left eye did before the Tecnis lens, but I was myopic in both eyes.  My left eye focused at about 36 inches prior to the cataract and could see a good deal further than the right eye..

So my question is this:  must the dominant eye *always* be set to distance vision as I keep reading and what happens if it isn't?  Since my dominant eye has never been able to see far off and has always done the reading, I am afraid my brain will freak out. I guess I have monovision right now since my new lens sees distance and my right eye sees near.  I haven't found a site yet that says the dominant eye can be set for near vision, but since mine has always focused that way, I don't see why not.  I am a homebody and I spend most of my time reading and on the computer.
There are many extended discussions of mono-vision, mini-monovision with near bias or with distance bias. Use the search feature and archives to read them. It sounds like you have strabismus (eye muscle problem) in addition to cataracts. If you've never had monovision don't be so anxious to try it as many people cannot adapt.

JCH MD
Thanks. I should have thought of searching. I found others with this problem and it is helpful reading their threads.
I have been reading and reading but have not found the answer to this:  Now that I have the Tecnis lens in my left eye already, is it possible for me to try contact lenses for monovision, i.e., can a contact lens be put over my Tecnis?  
Yes you can wear a contact lens over an IOL there just generally isn't any use to do that. JH MD