Eye Care Expert Forum
monovision or monofocal vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

monovision or monofocal vision

Dr Michael Kutryb
Thanks for the information on mini monovision. It is so critical. I am shocked that my surgeon ignored my question when I asked him about the type of lens I need.
After cataract surgery of my right eye, my vision is 6/4.5 and settled to 6/7.5 after a week. Now, the corrected acuity for my left eye is 6/15 with anterior cortical cataract  . I am using +1 reading glasses for near vision (depend on the operated right eye only). Meantime I am using contact lens on my left eye ( BCOR 8.7 Diameter 14 Sphere -5.5 Cylinder -0.75 and Axis 180) for distant vision in order to bring the two eyes into focus.At times, I also use contact lens (BCOR 8.6 Diameter 14.2 Sphere -3.75 Cylinder -1.25 Axis 180 ) on my left eye supposedly for near vision but very blurry and does not help much. The surgeon advises the left eye operation in few months time as it may cause difficulty in operation if delay. Is it really necessary to do left eye surgery ? .If so, what type of lens do you recommend ? I like reading and use a lot of computers.I appreciate you do respond before I see my appointment on this Friday.  
Just for your information. I have one toric IOL eye set for intermediate and still wear a contact after 1 1/2 years for distance in my other eye to balance. I use prescription no line bifocals to sharpen small print and computer. I only have a slight cataract in the other eye and I am waiting to operate since I do enjoy very acute close up vision in that eye. I was told that it is okay to wait to do my second eye. The main problem that I have is when my contact is out my eyes are 8 diopters apart so I can't wear glasses. However I have adapted to this. It is really a matter of what I feel is most comfortable and convenient. Hope this helps and also the doctors comments will be useful , I know.
londonbridge
Thanks.
I prefer to wear near vision contact lens for my left eye. I found that it cuts down the glare of the right operated eye.But  I still need reading glass (mainly seeing through the rught eye) with the prescription of near vision (BCOR 8.6 Diameter 14.2 Sphere -3.75 Cylinder -1.25 Axis 180 ) for my left eye .
II appreciate very much of anybody who can offer help in a better prescription for my left eye near vision?
Thanks for this forum. It is so informative and helpful.
I had my cataract surgery of my right eye on 8 April but still suffer glareness and sometimes it causes dscomfort in certain area of my brain. My optometrist told me my lens develop opacification. Is this  the cause of the glareness in my right eye ? Please share your experience. Thanks
Hi londonbridge
May I know what is the difference in vision acuity between your operated eye and the eye wearing contact lens ?
Mine is -6.25 for the left eye and -07.5 for the operated eye. With the tramautic experience of glare, capsule opacity and losing near vision, I prefer not to do the left eye surgery which isagainst the advice of the doctor. Looking through my
left eye, I felt comfortable and can cope with the 10% blurry condition as compared with the vision through the right eye.
Without my contact lens in my right eye is -7.5 and my IOL eye is -.25 (about 20/40) so there is quite a difference.
With my contact lens in set for distance I have about 20/25 20/30 vision is my guess.  I am very comfortable with this and use progressive readers for close up reading (in good light I don't need them to read a newspaper size print) and also to sharpen up the computer.
I have debated whether to do my second surgery but find after a year and a half I can manage without glasses or contacts just around the house, not to drive, as my IOL eye is taking over more.
I am satisfied with the outcome of my IOL surgery (which was an explant of the Restor replaced with toric monofocal)
Hope this helps.
londonbridge