monovision:using crystalens vs standard iol
.I'm scheduled for a modified monovision beginning May 10, 2011.  I've so far decided to go with a crysalens in my non-dominant eye set at -1.0D and another fixed lens of same material in my left dominant eye aiming for plano distance vision.  My alternative choice is to not use the Crysalens in which case my surgeon said he'd target -1.25D in the non-dominant eye.  I've had monovision for years, originally about .5D apart, but as my cataract developed it has gone to a 2.0D difference, so I feel I will readily adjust to monovision. I'm still kicking around whether to go with one crystalens vs the standard monovision. My surgeon is very big on Crystalens and is in the top three Crystalens surgeons in New York State, but always has done two except for a few cases when only one eye was being worked on. I'm just wondering if I'm being wise going with "half a loaf" or whether I should go for two crysalenses, a "full loaf", or whether standard monovisio, "no loaf", would work fine.  I am concerned about driving, heavy computer use, and also....my billiard game .  Any comments and or suggestions would be very appreciated. .
I suspect either choice would work well for you.  Some say that a Crystalens in both eyes is superior to mixing lens types, but having your dominant eye set for plano and using a Crystalens for the non-dominant eye set for slight myopia should give you good vision at all distances.  Dr. Oyakawa has one Crystalens in his eye and is quite satisfied with it.
-
I have Crystalens in both eyes.  One at plano and one at -1.5.  I am very happy with the results.

Keep in mind that they may target -1.25 or whatever, but there is often an error in measurement on the first eye of +/- .50, so you could end up with something not quite what you expected, regardless of what lens you go with.
My surgeon did say there is some variability in the outcome.  He was going to try for -.75D for the crystalens in my right eye, and plano for my left dominant eye, but decided to go for -1D due to variability of the possible outcome.  How is reading for you with your lenses? Newspapers okay font size for you? And I assume distant vision for driving worked well? I guess I'm nervous knowing you can pretty much do this only once.
With the -1.5 eye, I can read anything.  Remember, the Crystalens still has some accomodation on top of that, so you could be getting -2.0 or more when reading if you end up -1.  Even with the plano eye, I can read most things, including the computer screen.  Distance vision is perfect.