Eye Care Community
movements felt and seen inside the eye when liid is closed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Dr. Hagan
I have movement in the left eye that is seen when the eye is closed or open.  Doctors have told me it is just floaters.
But should I feel floaters?  I have been led to understand that the only 'feeling' in the eyes is at the cornea, and any other parts of the eye will not indicate movement.  This movement feels like it is 'tickling' the front of the eye.  I have PVD's.  Can you explain why I have this feeling?  I should also note that this same location where the movement is observed as eye is closed, does affect my vision when open.  The vision is not as clear in this moving location.
Retina specialists and glaucoma specialists just disregard my concerns, saying it is not the retina or the optic nerve.  this is a major issue to me because it affects my awake time as well as when my eyes close.  I would really appreciate your professional opinion, or any question you have that may help you clarify this for me.  I'm tired of having no explanation!!  Thank you.  
You have a totally erroneous idea of how the eye works. 1 you don't feel floaters you see them. 2. All of the eye has sensory nerves not just the cornea. Pain and feeling can come from any part of the eye. 3. If you've seen that many qualified Eye MDs and you've had it a long time and nothing has come of it then its not likely serious unless something new happens.

JCH III MD
Thanks for the explanation.  I was told by two retina people and an ophthalmology generalist that the cornea is the only sensing area.  I didn't interpret that myself.  
russell903
Interesting.  
--
If you feel movement in the eye,I suggest that you have your thyroid checked.I have  hyperthyroidism and very frequently I feel that my eyes are jumpy.
-
Thanks for the comment on thyroids.  I should clarify=my eyes are not jumpy, it's one eye that has internal movement.  I see starbursts and wave forms when the eye is closed, and when open, the location of those starbursts also affects my vision-blurring it.  Eye MD's have always said 'just floaters', and will not do anything to correct the condition-via vitrectomy.  Seems like there would be some consideration for a person's age and their comfort as they age, but not so.  Eye MD's always cite the risks, for the patient and their practice.  I really question the risk factor to the patient-since my eye is slowly being taken away from me in function due to the debris/floaters.  Slow torturous decline or some semblance of hope?  The choice seems easy.
-