Eye Care Expert Forum
multifocal implants

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

multifocal implants

My wife, age 70, has been delaying cataract surgery hoping for a more definitive choice as to whether to go the multifocal route.  Last year her doctor recommended Restor and this year he has switched to recommending Crystalens.  My searches make me concerned about the problems with multifocals and that the more conservative approach would be to stick to monofocals.  If you were making a recommendation for your 70 year old mother what would recommend?
MJK MD
I am a 66 year old woman.  I had the Restor lens implanted in July and it was a horror. I went to a new surgeon and had it explanted and exchanged for a monofocal lens I am very happy with the monofocal lens..I want to see crisp and clear and if I have to wear glasses for some things I will not complain.  I would strongly advise against the Restor. Actually I would advise against the multifocals period. There are more problems with the multifocal lenes.  You are so right to  stick to the monofocals.   I am having the monfocal lens put in my other eye in Nov.  Also the multifocal lenes are not worth the expense. The multifocal lenses are not all as great as they make them out to be.  Check the forum archieves for iols, multi vs mono and Restor and Crystalens  Also check my user name and it will bring you to my posts where you can read  more details.  I am just another patient, but I recommend Monofocals.  Good luck

I'm in my 50's and have been very happy with my vision with aspheric monofocal IOLs.  I've never had even a minor problem with them.  If your wife wants to lessen her dependence on glasses, she might consider getting mini-monovision (distance vision in dominant eye, intermediate in non-dominant).  With a little luck, she'd only need glasses for prolonged reading or seeing small print.  This is probably as good as what she'd get with the Crystalens HD (the best of the "premium" IOLs).
No answer was posted in the Doctors Answer
Dear jbj1955,

I use both the Crystalens and Restor and ReZoom multifocal lens implants in my practice.  Depending upon how your mom answers questions on my form and what she desires, I would recommend one of these lenses as they can give more of a range of vision.  There are side effects of each and she must be prepared to compromise.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I absolutely agree with dissapointed 66 and jodie j. As a former Restor patient who had an explant and replaced with monofocals, I would recommend this route for your mother. The quality of the vision is vastly better with no adaptation period and no side effects. I wear glasses for reading and to correct a minor astigmatism when needed. Otherwise I have one eye set for distance (currently with a contact lens) and my IOL eye is my non dominant eye set for intermediate. I there for have mini-monovision. Please remember that most multi-focal patients do require glasses anyway for some tasks. I would not go through the added expense and all of the potential problems and side effects with multifocals.  Monofocals have been tried and true for over forty years and that is the route I would choose whether I was 70 or 17.
Best wishes and good luck,
londonbridge